OC Candidates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ok now im leaning chud or trestman with koetter gone

Rather have Chud, Trestman another guy who really was never successful as an OC. Was similar to Schotty in that people kept talking about how smart he was, but every where he went he got his coach fired. Left the NFL for college with a similar fate and had to travel north of the boarder to reinvent himself.

That's why I was shocked with everyone self proclaiming how good he was, I felt he would last no more than three years in Chicago and I was a year off. I would pass on Trestman, quite frankly if Rob Chudzinski or Bill Callahan (who's in the last year of his contract) are not hired, I would be fine with the internal promotion of TE Coach Rob Boras or QB Coach Frank Cignetti.

Rainram

Starter
Rather have Chud, Trestman another guy who really was never successful as an OC. Was similar to Schotty in that people kept talking about how smart he was, but every where he went he got his coach fired. Left the NFL for college with a similar fate and had to travel north of the boarder to reinvent himself.

That's why I was shocked with everyone self proclaiming how good he was, I felt he would last no more than three years in Chicago and I was a year off. I would pass on Trestman, quite frankly if Rob Chudzinski or Bill Callahan (who's in the last year of his contract) are not hired, I would be fine with the internal promotion of TE Coach Rob Boras or QB Coach Frank Cignetti.

I side with you on a few things; I like Chud. Callahan would be interesting. And I'd be okay rolling the dice with Boras (what the hell). I also don't care for Trestman much.

I would not be as comfortable with Cignetti though.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Steelers OL Coach Mike Munchak could be in play too.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Well, that's nice but I meant it more because Schotty runs an Air Coryell so the verbiage would be somewhat similar which would make it easier for our guys to learn.

That was a downfield passing offense? :D

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yea. It can be. But you gotta keep in mind that every coordinator runs their system their own way.

Exactly. In the 1980s, Joe Gibbs ran it in Washington as a power running offense with downfield passing off of a lot of play-action. Ditto Dallas in the 1990's.

That's the beauty of the Coryell system. It can be easily tailored to a team's strengths, and while it's mostly known for the pyrotechnics of the GSOT or the San Diego Aerial Circus of the late 70s/early 80s, it can be quite effective if teams want to lean on the power running game.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorting through Rams' potential offensive coordinator candidates
January, 8, 2015
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams are one of nearly 10 teams in need of a new offensive coordinator.

Should coach Jeff Fisher decide to go outside the organization for help, he figures to have plenty of competition for the best coordinators on the market.

The Rams could be a tougher sell given the combination of an uncertain quarterback situation, an offensive line in desperate need of repair and the franchise's potential relocation after the season. Adding to that, Fisher and Co. are entering a fourth season in which the heat is only going to increase on their seat should things go awry again, which could mean whoever the coordinator is may not be around for long.

With all of that in mind, here's a look at some of the names that are available and what might or might not be realistic for the Rams:

Staying in house

Tight ends coach Rob Boras: There are others on the current staff with more experience in the league and more experience as a coordinator, but Boras is the one many around the league think has the brightest future as a play caller. In fact, had Vanderbilt hired Brian Schottenheimer as its head coach last year, it's all but certain the Rams were going to promote Boras to coordinator. Boras has been in the NFL for 11 years, all as an assistant, but did spend three years as offensive coordinator at UNLV. Boras knows the system, he knows Fisher and he knows the personnel. It wouldn't be a surprise if he got the job.

Ties to Fisher

Kyle Shanahan: The news just came Thursday that Shanahan and theCleveland Browns are parting ways. Shanahan is the son of Mike Shanahan, who is one of Fisher's closest friends in the business. Shanahan is considered one of the game's bright young minds and, like Schottenheimer, comes from the strong NFL bloodlines that Fisher seems to prefer. But Shanahan will have no shortage of options. He's interviewing for the head coach job in Buffalo, has been tied to the opening in San Francisco and has drawn interest as the possible coordinator in New York should Dan Quinn get that job. He's one to watch but might be out of the Rams' reach.

Dowell Loggains: Like Shanahan, Loggains parted ways Thursday with the Browns and also has a longstanding relationship with Fisher. Loggains served as offensive quality control coach for Fisher's Tennessee Titans for two years and one as his quarterbacks coach. He then was offensive coordinator in Tennessee for the next name on this list. These ties don't run as deep and Loggains' tenure as offensive coordinator wasn't all that successful, but he's still young. It seems unlikely Fisher would go this direction but it can't be ruled out.

Mike Munchak: You'd be hard pressed to find someone with a longer relationship with Fisher than Munchak. The pair worked together in Houston/Tennessee from 1993 to Fisher's departure after the 2010 season. Munchak was Fisher's offensive line coach for most of that time before replacing Fisher as head coach in 2011. Munchak is now the offensive line coach in Pittsburgh so the Rams would need to seek permission to interview him, but there's no denying that he would fit philosophically and personally.

The known commodities

Marc Trestman: The now former Bears head coach brings plenty of sizzle and is known for his aerial attack. He's been a coordinator four times and was the primary play caller in Chicago and in his time in the CFL. His history and creativity would make him appealing, but it's fair to wonder whether his style is a match for what Fisher wants to be offensively.

Greg Roman: The in-limbo coordinator in San Francisco would make a lot of sense for the Rams philosophically. He's guided one of the league's best rushing attacks with the 49ers and knows the landscape of the NFC West division quite well. It's hard to know what his next move is but he's drawn interest for Buffalo's head coaching spot as well as coordinator gigs in Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. Fisher clearly knows him from playing against him and this would be a logical fit should the Rams go outside the organization and people with close ties to the head coach.

Rob Chudzinski: Similar to Trestman, Chudzinski is known for being a creative, intelligent offensive mind. He's currently a special assistant in Indianapolis but has experience as a coordinator. The Rams actually interviewed him for their head coaching job in 2012 while awaiting word from Fisher. For what it's worth, the Rams really liked Chudzinski at the time but clearly it's Fisher making the ultimate call here.

Others to note

Greg Olson, Marty Mornhinweg: Recently deposed coordinators in Oakland and New York, respectively. Olson has been the Rams' coordinator before under Scott Linehan and did a good job before Linehan undercut his play-calling duties. Mornhinweg is a West Coast disciple who could fall in line with what Fisher wants offensively.

Wouldn't it be fun?

Mike Martz: Yes, yes it would.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ting-through-offensive-coordinator-candidates

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Munchak interest me in the fact he can build an oline better then just about anyone.