OC Candidates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Here's some guys who are available - fill in your own, let's see who we all like.

Marc Trestman, ex-Bears HC
Greg Olson, Jax QB coach
Dirk Koetter, ATL OC
Greg Roman, SF OC
Marty Mornhingweg, NYJ OC
Rob Chudzinski, IND "special assistant"
Brad Childress, Chiefs Offensive Assistant
Greg Knapp, DEN QB coach

Edit 1:

Kirby Wilson, MIN RB coach
Matt Nagy, KC QB coach
Scott Frost, Oregon OC
Tony Franklin, Cal OC
Doug Meachem, TCU OC

Edit 2:

Mike Shanahan?

Kyle Shanahan? Didn't see his name mentioned. It's more likely than his dad.

Memphis Ram

Legend
1) Rhett Lashlee, OC, Auburn
2) Rick Dennison, QB Coach, Ravens
3) Bill Callahan, OLine Coach / Running Game Coordinator, Cowboys

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not sure how we'd get Chud... is he available? Coaches have to be offered upgrades if they're currently employed, but that's not generally an issue if a team wants someone bad enough...

He's an assistant with Indy right now, but not their OC.

Maybe we can entice Linehan away from Dallas. :huh:

Don't laugh - I read the other day that Oakland is considering him for their HC opening. Sounds like an Oakland move.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This just might (will ) create a bit of a setback at first, something I am not looking forward to. In the long run (something I am increasingly growing less patient of) It may potentially bode well. Good luck to our new OC whomever he may be, know that I am behind you. To all the Schotty naysayers your time has come and I hope you were right. I for one had far greater concerns on the OL and at the QB and never felt as though I could give Schotty a fair assessment albeit I had my doubts

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Would prefer Chud, but would be pleased either way. I'm pleased the Rams are going in another direction because IMO under Schottenheimer there was no direction.
Me too, to be honest. I recognize that having no starting QB for half his time here as OC was a factor...but my complaints have been consistent as far as Shotty goes.
1. 3rd down playcalling
2. Head scratching drives the moment we get any positive momentum going
3. Run game

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
who has a good run first offense that's a little more simplistic OR who do we have internally that could be promoted and keep a little continuity with a similar offense. Any of these need to have past success with using a gadget player (Tavon).

Last edited:

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
How about Doug Marrone? I know he's interviewing for Head Coaching positions right now, but there's always a chance he misses out on one of those positions. He was the OC of the Saints under Asshole Face 2006-2008 before going to Syracuse.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Fisher will probably just promote Cignetti...

If we go in house route I totally agree w/ Cignetti... He does fit the up in comer tag when we hired him if i recall correctly...

But I would love me some Chud he does excellent work w/ TEs in the passed and I see we have some solid TE options currently on our roster. Also would be giggy over tresman as hes a known good play caller and in game adjustment coach.

Going off the board (only read 1st two pages in this threat disclaimer) Lane Kiffen (sp?) as he too is a great play caller and wouldn't be a treat for a HC job anytime soon

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The only thing I know, with 100% certainty, is I do not want another slow start next year, while our offense tries to play catch up with the play book.

We need to be playing fast by week one of the preseason.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I like Callahan. I'm be happy with him as OC. We'd be a west coast offense team but Sam thrived in it his first season. I don't know how forgiving that kind of offense would be for a rookie QB.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
1) Rhett Lashlee, OC, Auburn
2) Rick Dennison, QB Coach, Ravens
3) Bill Callahan, OLine Coach / Running Game Coordinator, Cowboys

How R. Dennison hasnt been given a HC chance is beyond me... He would be a great hire and fits Fishers needs imho. Bill Callahan not sure what or how he would handle the passing game part so i'm on the fence w/ Billy... Chud / trestman / Dennison / koetter ... Keep Cignetti as QB coach hes underrated imho... I could live w/ a Cignetti hire. But I would prefer a hire from above list

WestCoastRam

Legend
Lots of great options out there, actually.

Callahan (though I wonder about all that broo-ha-ha in Dallas of him losing play-calling duties to Linehan)
Chud (only negative is that I've heard his is a complex sxs to learn)
Trestman (think he and Chud are the most innovative of these guys)
Mornhingweg (underrated)
Weiss (he guided a young Tom Brady to becoming a top QB, I don't think Weiss gets enough credit for this - Brady could have been ruined under another coordinator, Brady's a classic case in how to build an environment to ensure that your QB has the best chance of succeeding.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Safest:
Chud. No system change, he would probably be a hot riser again after working with the Rams' offensive talent.

Strong Running Game:
Callahan. Dude knows the running game, may be very underrated overall too and may be ready to show what he can do this time around as the defacto OC. Since he fits what Fish wants he is an ideal option.

Strong Passing Game:
Martz. He is risky because he needs a strong overall head coach above him to allow him to be the tactician and immerse himself in gameplanning and play calling. With Fish keeping him grounded in the running game he may be the best option of all.
Frost. He's behind Martz because Mad Mike would not require a new system, he would simply maximize passing game matchups and teach up our talent. But Frost would give Fish an aggressive passing game and strong running game to challenge defenses weekly.

Balanced:
Roman. Two NFC championships and dealt nicely with a garbage QB, cracks showed this year with Harbaugh jumping ship but whatever. Dude runs a balanced offense.

IMO the priority should be: Callahan>Chud>Martz>Frost>Roman.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Safest:
Chud. No system change, he would probably be a hot riser again after working with the Rams' offensive talent.

Strong Running Game:
Callahan. Dude knows the running game, may be very underrated overall too and may be ready to show what he can do this time around as the defacto OC. Since he fits what Fish wants he is an ideal option.

Strong Passing Game:
Martz. He is risky because he needs a strong overall head coach above him to allow him to be the tactician and immerse himself in gameplanning and play calling. With Fish keeping him grounded in the running game he may be the best option of all.
Frost. He's behind Martz because Mad Mike would not require a new system, he would simply maximize passing game matchups and teach up our talent. But Frost would give Fish an aggressive passing game and strong running game to challenge defenses weekly.

Balanced:
Roman. Two NFC championships and dealt nicely with a garbage QB, cracks showed this year with Harbaugh jumping ship but whatever. Dude runs a balanced offense.

IMO the priority should be: Callahan>Chud>Martz>Frost>Roman.

Great post. This is the type of breakdown that helps to understand what our options are and how we're thinking through the decision.

There is also a "wild card" option (that would probably consist of college OCs), but I'm not sure that Fisher would go for that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The only thing I know, with 100% certainty, is I do not want another slow start next year, while our offense tries to play catch up with the play book.

We need to be playing fast by week one of the preseason.
Agreed. If Fisher needs to run a harder, tougher, more comprehensive playbook training camp then so be it. I don't want to hear any excuses for why we're 1-4 next season. It's time to start fast and finish strong.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Felt like the wheels fell off the 49ers offense with Roman at OC this season and it became way unbalanced towards the pass. Not sure what that was about...

We have to remember though, sometimes QBs call audibles when they should leave the play be. A QB is gonna have the desire to want to audible to a pass - all things being even. I'm sure that affects how some OCs are perceived.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
We can't bring Martz back. The Rams can't afford to be an entertaining and winning football team with a dome full of fans right now. That would screw up all of the negotiating that is going on!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Me too, to be honest. I recognize that having no starting QB for half his time here as OC was a factor...but my complaints have been consistent as far as Shotty goes.
1. 3rd down playcalling
2. Head scratching drives the moment we get any positive momentum going
3. Run game

What run game?