OBJ proved Aaron Donald right

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The details between Donald and the team aren't exactly known but I believe Donald is inclined to negotiate whatever he feels he's worth. I'm just pointing out that he had a legitimate reason for the hold out. Players have to maximize their investments when the demand is high

No, the details aren't known. But if there is truth to the reports about the basic framework of the deal and Donald gets hurt seriously enough to not get paid, he's going to have a lifetime full of regret for not taking it. Seems He's being like the guy in Vegas, sitting at the table with a huge win already, but unable to walk away and instead wanting to gamble for more at the risk of losing it all.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Marry Poppins had balls she'd be Harry Poppins and would have been arrested.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
If the reports are true about the Rams offering to make Donald the highest paid defensive player in the league, then this proves Donald wrong. If what has been reported has any accuracy, Donald should take the deal, sign on the dotted line, and wrap up his financial security for his own life and the life of at least a few generations of Donalds to follow.

This++++++

Zodi

Hall of Fame
won't affect his contract in the least. he will get paid top dollar.

He broke his ankle. That's gotta be huge for a WR, especially one as shifty and quick as OBJ. What if he doesn't come back 100%, and the Giants decide not to extend him?

I agree with OP. Situations like this are exactly why players who have out-performed their rookie contracts hold out for a better deal.

…..

Legend
wait....what?

I dont remember Aaron Donald talking about ANYTHING to be right about.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm Aaron Donald after this weekend, I'd be in Demoff's office TODAY saying, "So, where did we leave off with this new contract of mine??"

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't see any correlation at all. AD and OBJ will both still get paid.
Has this been a career ending injury, Odell would get his 8 from next year and that is all. It's all hypothetical but it highlights many of these players gripes with their contracts

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JJ Watts proved the Rams point. Like @Ram65 said, it works both ways.
Of course. But when a player holds out we tend to only see things from the owners side. These kinds of instances show that both sides take risks but during a holdout we never see things from these players perspective

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Of course. But when a player holds out we tend to only see things from the owners side. These kinds of instances show that both sides take risks but during a holdout we never see things from these players perspective

I agree.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Injury risk is an inherent part of any sport. You get paid a minimum of a six figure salary to play a game. In my opinion, these guys are already being compensated for the risk they have to undertake. There are millions of people willing to be in their position.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injury risk is an inherent part of any sport. You get paid a minimum of a six figure salary to play a game. In my opinion, these guys are already being compensated for the risk they have to undertake. There are millions of people willing to be in their position.
Well they lose a huge chunk to taxes and other things. Also, they get paid for their brand as well as their game. Obj jerseys, posters, calenders and everything else make the owners so much money and he sees very little of it.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Nope. He caved. Doesn't mean that his concerns weren't valid. He and obj were picked a couple of draft slots apart. If OBJ, one of the best wide receivers in the game, had a career threatening injury... Where would that leave him ?

OBJ injury or not, the concerns of getting hurt before signing a new deal were always there and always will be hence players holding out. but in the end Donald missed a game for basically nothing because hes still here playing without a new deal and risking injury. Unless you're incredibly naive, I dont think anyone looked at a player holding out and thought, "thats dumb, theres no way he will get hurt. get you're ass back to playing"

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Well they lose a huge chunk to taxes and other things. Also, they get paid for their brand as well as their game. Obj jerseys, posters, calenders and everything else make the owners so much money and he sees very little of it.

Everyone pays taxes. As for the brand, these guys are just an average Joe without the NFL. The NFL creates their brand so I see no issue with capitalizing on it. The players are also free to market themselves outside the league through commercials and events. The NCAA doesnt allow players any profit from the sport.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Connor Barwin & John Sullivan ?

Not likely, remember only 32 picks are handed out...two guys in their mid-30's who are coming off one year deals aren't likely to get giant FA contracts ....

also remember that FA losses are also offset by team signings....so if the Rams spend on big free agents they may not get comps for the big name losses they have.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not likely, remember only 32 picks are handed out...two guys in their mid-30's who are coming off one year deals aren't likely to get giant FA contracts ....

also remember that FA losses are also offset by team signings....so if the Rams spend on big free agents they may not get comps for the big name losses they have.
Exactly. It’s not a pick for player lost deal. And with the cap room the rams will have you can bet they’ll be brining in some fa themselves.