Not Suprising.. Von Miller Was All About The Money

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So I watched this and thought the agent really did throw the ball in his court and say do what's best for Von Miller. Which I like because it wasn't subtly resembling a "get me more money too" quote. Even though he used psychology to sway him he left it up to Von. I'm happy for the Von and grateful of his huge contribution for our SB win.

The one thing that threw me off is his reasoning though. "I'll miss those guys blah blah but this is a young up and coming team and I want to be the 1st guy to win it for 3 teams blah blah." We know it's the money.
The agent told him to take emotion out of it. That was a direct message to pay attention to the numbers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would love to know where you heard or read that.
I haven’t heard anything about guaranteed money offered. I did read that the Rams were about $17 million a year, which is very close but they wanted two years. Buffalo offered 5.

On the surface you say 5 vs 2 is a no brainer. It’s likely 3 vs 2 though.

I’m sure his agent knows he’d have more outside earning opportunities in California. I think he could eclipse what the Bills offered. Maybe his agent get, taking the Bills deal is less work for him:laugh4:

oldnotdead

Legend
Von's guaranteed money if he plays 3 years $17.1/yr. in TN. The Rams would have had to offer him a 2 yr fully guaranteed contract for about $35M and there is no way they could do that.

No matter what the Rams got outbid and IMO it wasn't even close. The Rams get Bobby Wagner instead. My guess is Bobby's contract will be essentially 2 years with 3 void years. That will allow them to guarantee him about $35M with a dead cap of $15M after two years. Which if spread over 2 years is affordable. His cap will probably be $6-$7M this year.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Maybe I’m just old, but the video/taping of it all….seems more about post FB career stuff. A bit of a red herring if I were a Bills fan. He says he is motivated but I’d worry I spent big money on a guy getting ready for the 19th hole.

Give me a guy like AD and Kupp who are all football and focused in the gym, etc.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh BTW it's my understanding that the Ram's offered significantly less guaranteed money, probably about $20M less. If that's true and I think it's probably close then it's a no brainer considering his personal issues.
What’s $20 mil among friends?

brucebruce

Rookie
Maybe I’m just old, but the video/taping of it all….seems more about post FB career stuff. A bit of a red herring if I were a Bills fan. He says he is motivated but I’d worry I spent big money on a guy getting ready for the 19th hole.

Give me a guy like AD and Kupp who are all football and focused in the gym, etc.

especially after a few games without AD and the rams line.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can never fault a player for going out and getting what he (the market) deserves. If they are willing to pay that much for Von, more power to them. We, as fans, seem to forget all the time. If it is a business you're a part of, why not try and make as much money as you can?

The press drives that shit too. "He has a house in whichever freaking town". "So and so teammate just can't imagine him gone". That is trying to get leverage.

I'll never forget what Von Miller did for the Rams but saying that losing him is going to break our backs just isn't true. It's always about the money guys.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I ain’t mad at the guy.

It’s business not personal.

NFL teams cannot be loyal or they risk being competitive. So I wouldn’t expect a player to be Loyal to an institution that cannot be loyal.

We hear the term divorce all the time when referring to a player and a team. But there was never a long term “till
Death due us part” or “till the player retires” Vow made. There was a contract for X amount of years.
There was a contract... For "x" of years.... IF... IF, it is not otherwise convenient to terminate it early - or make a trade. Whichever is BEST for the team, basically.

oldnotdead

Legend
I would love to know where you heard or read that.

Admittedly it's third hand but I have no reason to doubt it because of how it was told. My GF and I were having dinner with her cousin who is dating the guy who works for the national scouting service I've mentioned before. The BF said he was talking to his buddy about work and his buddy has the Rams in his region. The BF asked about Von and his buddy told him basically what I've related here. I know the GF thing has been written about in the media as well. The info was said to have come directly from the Rams.

jjab360

Legend
Admittedly it's third hand but I have no reason to doubt it because of how it was told. My GF and I were having dinner with her cousin who is dating the guy who works for the national scouting service I've mentioned before. The BF said he was talking to his buddy about work and his buddy has the Rams in his region. The BF asked about Von and his buddy told him basically what I've related here. I know the GF thing has been written about in the media as well. The info was said to have come directly from the Rams.
kYtZecH.jpeg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

All the best Von.

You gave your all for the Rams and helped them win the superbowl.

There's no shame in going after the money.

AppeasFBlGods

Rookie
I think it's weird to frame it like von chose money over all else. He picked buffalo. A team that is just as poised to win it all as the rams are to repeat. And with their draft capital added... Maybe more so. I doubt von takes that contract to play for the jags. Or even a team like.. the colts or raiders (fringe teams). So he probably saw his chances of winning to be equal, and the money to be better.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just one clarification.

Although it's fair for us to be comfortable that Buffalo's offer was monetarily-better than the Rams, we do not know How Much Better. We can guess and surmise. We can go with Old-Not-Dead's information which is somewhere between third-hand, and thirty-third-hand. However, we really just Don't Know.

Personally, I am glad the Rams' Management moves forward and thinks out-of-the-box. They did not immediately look to sign the second-best Edge-player on their list. Instead, they looked at alternatives that would improve the Team. Hopefully, those decisions will prove correct.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Just one clarification.

Although it's fair for us to be comfortable that Buffalo's offer was monetarily-better than the Rams, we do not know How Much Better. We can guess and surmise. We can go with Old-Not-Dead's information which is somewhere between third-hand, and thirty-third-hand. However, we really just Don't Know.

Personally, I am glad the Rams' Management moves forward and thinks out-of-the-box. They did not immediately look to sign the second-best Edge-player on their list. Instead, they looked at alternatives that would improve the Team. Hopefully, those decisions will prove correct.
Good points. Saavy cap allocation. It's not about missing on a position, then making a mistake by paying the #2 UFA inflated money. They used the money where it was best spent. Sometimes things happen that don't look so good at first (VM to Buffalo) but could be much more beneficial for the season & future seasons (Robinson & Wagner). I like what Schrager said on GMFB...."the Rams got better this off season".

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think it's weird to frame it like von chose money over all else. He picked buffalo. A team that is just as poised to win it all as the rams are to repeat. And with their draft capital added... Maybe more so. I doubt von takes that contract to play for the jags. Or even a team like.. the colts or raiders (fringe teams). So he probably saw his chances of winning to be equal, and the money to be better.
What??????

Buffalo is "more poised"? They're really good but who do they have to defeat to just get there? Who is the Rams stiffest competition?

It's not "weird", it's accurate. He went to Buffalo for the money. True he wasn't going to go to Jacksonville or Detroit or Seattle. But the money Buffalo gave him was unreal. His aim was surely "the best teams who offer the most money". But "the most money" was certainly the decision maker.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
I’m not mad. The thing is, Von never asked to play for the Rams.

He was called into a room in Denver, and was told he was being traded. And that was that.

He bought in, and was a true professional.

But Bobby Wagner chose to be a Ram. I’m way more excited about that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
See! He woulda had me there too. I'm a sucker for money... just like Von. :clinkingbeer:
I’m always the type that figures how much more do you need? If you go with a competent investment firm you can create plenty of income by making your money work for you….when you’ve made millions already it’s easy.

The Rams yearly offer was very close. It was mainly the length of the contract and guaranteed money that made the difference supposedly. Once I’ve got a certain amount I’d be doing what made me happiest.

oldnotdead

Legend

I was asked so I answered honestly. You don't want to believe it that's fine. I was simply being honest about the context. It's also to explain how I know the guy I've mentioned occasionally. I've known him for over 10 years and it was at one of my family gatherings to watch football is how he met his GF.

I used to work at Torrey Pines where a lot of sports celebs go and it's how I've known several including Marshall Faulk who at least back then was a regular.