Not having Brown has dialed down the high-poweredness of O

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I can't imagine Dunbar or Austin returning next year, i'd save them for the final game of the year after we've wrapped up the division and let our third stringers beat up on the 49'ers while our starters rest up for the play-offs. :sneaky:
As much as I would love this, I feel a little bad to what we will do to the whiners if that's a must win game for us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That aside, I'd really like for the staff to explain why he's rarely sent on 9's or deep posts, or deep crosses. I understand the reasoning behind having the defense up close and hoping Tavon will get past that first line of defense and have all that green, but why are we not utilizing his deep speed? It's bizarre to me.

For the same reason they signed Woods and traded for Watkins: he has questionable hands, runs sloppy routes, probably still doesn't know the entire scheme at X/Y/Z, and it's easy to miss him with that miniscule catch radius.

If you watch any offense run by the guys who taught Sean, you'll see precise routes and steady hands as a basic requirement. So IMO at least you don't really need to ask the staff, the truth is he doesn't fit and they don't trust him in that role over better actual wide receivers.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I don't really have a problem with that. If he can get just one crease, then he'll be left with all that field to do his pond skater thing. That aside, I'd really like for the staff to explain why he's rarely sent on 9's or deep posts, or deep crosses. I understand the reasoning behind having the defense up close and hoping Tavon will get past that first line of defense and have all that green, but why are we not utilizing his deep speed? It's bizarre to me.

I still think he's got a psychological issue post wrist op - TA is a weapon and McVay is the HC to scheme him into space, he doesn't even have to learn a full route tree (some fans have suggested he can't get a grasp of the O). The problem is with Rams fans is that they want production at all times. I'm sure if Tavon ran between the tackles and hit a 74yd TD fans would be saying "Why don't they scheme in more of Tavon, he's got blistering speed and is a threat..." we're a fickle bunch for sure ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
For the same reason they signed Woods and traded for Watkins: he has questionable hands, runs sloppy routes, probably still doesn't know the entire scheme at X/Y/Z, and it's easy to miss him with that miniscule catch radius.

If you watch any offense run by the guys who taught Sean, you'll see precise routes and steady hands as a basic requirement. So IMO at least you don't really need to ask the staff, the truth is he doesn't fit and they don't trust him in that role over better actual wide receivers.
You know how to run a 9 and a deep cross, right? Point A to point B? Then I'm sure Tavon does too. In fact, we've seen him do it before.

I understand he's a square peg right now. I don't really need to be reminded of that. My question is more about why his (fastest in the league) speed isn't necessarily being taken advantage of. Like, at all. I'd understand if we tried those things and he failed at it, but that's just not the case.

Ooh. Speaking of Case.

En Fuego.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
"Who is BRown" I thought....ohhh, not Jamon, but the RB.....yes, he will change Gurley's fatigue factor---maybe....or not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You know how to run a 9 and a deep cross, right? Point A to point B? Then I'm sure Tavon does too. In fact, we've seen him do it before.

I understand he's a square peg right now. I don't really need to be reminded of that. My question is more about why his (fastest in the league) speed isn't necessarily being taken advantage of. Like, at all. I'd understand if we tried those things and he failed at it, but that's just not the case.

Ooh. Speaking of Case.

En Fuego.

Yeah Case is doing great. Dude re-surprises me every week as I await his return to inconsistency.

But anyway. DBs in this league are great at anticipation and go into games having watched film and knowing what they have to fear with any given wideout. Even if you start having Tavon run those routes there's not a whole lot you have to sweat as a DB in covering him because you can flip your hips and commit. And then in those instances he does get open deep his hands and micro catch radius provide further limits. I think that's what it comes down to.

Also from this point forward look at the schedule. Top defense after top defense where you're not going to get too many looks that allow you to bust a big play. So IMO it's important that when the formation stars align you have dudes you can trust to make the play.

This is why I keep talking Everett, and how much he can help us if he can finish that rookie transition into this offense. McVay's done a great job adjusting his scheme to what he has, but the TE position production is night and day compared to what he had in Washington. That plus the fact that Everett could give them a big target with hands seems to be something that can provide continued returns for this offense in the passing game. Versus the occasional splash play with a guy like Tavon. With the defenses ahead I still believe development of our TE position has the ability to provide our offense with a big boost in possession and red zone situations, which is scary for the opposition if it happens.

Ram65

Legend
I don't really have a problem with that. If he can get just one crease, then he'll be left with all that field to do his pond skater thing. That aside, I'd really like for the staff to explain why he's rarely sent on 9's or deep posts, or deep crosses. I understand the reasoning behind having the defense up close and hoping Tavon will get past that first line of defense and have all that green, but why are we not utilizing his deep speed? It's bizarre to me.

Ooh. Speaking of Case.

En Fuego.

They really don't look his way at all. Goff threw him a bullet on the sideline a little too far out in front against the Cardinals. I was shocked to see it., That pass a few bubbles screens is all they have done. Wouldn't be hard to send him on some deep routes. He has done it before. With the other WRs on the field he should easily beat a 3rd CB.

Ram65

Legend
Not staying with Benny C may have been the only wrong move this offseason. Brown has been a solid reliever for Gurley hopefully he gets back ASAP. Rams really are lacking depth right now.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Rams could use Malcolm’s power and shiftiness this week.. gurley is the home run hitter, but he may not get much room against the philly line

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

Psycho_X

Legend

Ooh. Speaking of Case.

En Fuego.

My assumptions have been exactly what you said which is that is all Tavon is capable of doing. Point a to point b with no deviation . Where McVay wants to have complete flexibility at the line of scrimmage in pass plays. Tavon gets called to do a cross route but they line up like they do and in a few seconds Goff changes the play once or twice in this last ten seconds before the snap and maybe having Tavon out there always limits that aspect because he can only do one or two things?

I honestly don't know, it is puzzling they can't figure out some role in the passing game. But my assumption is his lack in it is due to his inability to be flexible at a moments notice whether due to bad route running or simply not able to process quick enough.

Or maybe McVay just likes having someone else short on the sidelines all the time so he doesn't look out of place. But Joyner is starting so that can't be it.