Not having Brown has dialed down the high-poweredness of O

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Our O has been incredibly good this year but I got to thinking - I think our O started to slow down a bit (even prior to Woods being out) when Brown went down. We didn't have a solid backup to turn to when Gurley needed a breather or while we were/are trying to keep Gurley fresh.

Tavon running from the TB position doesn't do it and it doesn't seem like we have faith in Davis nor is Dunbar up to the task (or healthy).

I honestly think getting Brown back will jazz up the offense again. (It goes without saying that getting Woods back will be big too).

Our O is just too one dimensional when Gurley is not on the field. Having Brown back will change that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
One has to wonder if McVay has lost confidence in Justin Davis, I would have thought he'd get some action.

nighttrain

Legend
One has to wonder if McVay has lost confidence in Justin Davis, I would have thought he'd get some action.
McVay giving tavon his last hurrah, or trying to build his trade value.When Woods gets back, our offense will be much improved
train

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
McVay has already said that Gurley hasn't been used as much in the run game because they have to keep him fresh to block on passing downs. He's the only healthy RB that can pass block at the moment. Once Brown gets back they can sub him in on those obvious passing situations and use Gurley more in the run game again. That would be huge for the Eagles and Seahawks games.

Todd59

Rookie
It's a shame the team couldn't get something done with Benny Cunningham last offseason. He was always a tough runner, and he would allow Gurley to get a blow on 3rd down. I'd have preferred him over Lance Dunbar, especially given his experience playing special teams under Bones.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I hate saying this, as I used to be a big Tavon fan, but he's truly a weak link that Pharaoh Cooper could easily replace. As far as RB, I think getting Brown back would be huge.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
McVay giving tavon his last hurrah, or trying to build his trade value.When Woods gets back, our offense will be much improved
train

I'd trade Austin for a 2035 7'th rounder just to be rid of his contract, but realistically can't see anyone showing interest. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I suspect that RB Lance Dunbar who saw 3 snaps Sunday may not be ready for HD action @ RB in place of Gurley. Dunbar had zero impact in the O Sunday. Brown did not suit up either due to a unsure knee health.So we got TG & TA & a bit of P.Cooper, who I liked being used in the TA role. I am fine with the way in which McVay did with Gurley past Sunday myself. I might have preferred even less utilization but things worked out OK.

Bad for Gurley is he is headed into the 2 biggest games yet down this later half having to carry pretty much all of the running load of this offense. Hopefully next week both Brown, Dunbar & TA can all team together to spell Gurley some rest in keeping him fresh. We DO NOT need to go into the Seahawks game with a run down & injured Gurley.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IDK, but seems somebody might give something for the former 1st round pick
train

OK which team might be interested in trading for TA? It must be a team who has 8 million to take a chance on him??? That's what his contract is for 2018. Not all that bad if you are lacking speed in your offense. Right now I can't come up with a NFL team. :bueller:
https://overthecap.com/player/tavon-austin/2189/

nighttrain

Legend
OK which team might be interested in trading for TA? It must be a team who has 5 million to take a chance on him??? Thats what his contract is for 2018. Not all that bad if you are lacking speed in your offense. Right now I can't come up with a nFL team.
Seattle would be nice
train

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hate saying this, as I used to be a big Tavon fan, but he's truly a weak link that Pharaoh Cooper could easily replace. As far as RB, I think getting Brown back would be huge.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Cooper take some snaps at RB. He has the body type for it

Ellard80

Legend
ehh.... we pass, pass and pass some more.

Having a quality back up is useful for sure.. but our offense is heavily based on how efficiently we throw the ball.

We are definitely a throw the ball to set up the run team.

Tano

Legend
The problem with Davis is that he can't pick up a blitz and that leaves him to running only or passes out of the backfield.

Leaves too little options for McVays offense to play him.

I wouldn't mind using him to run out the clock when we have more than a two score lead with less than 2 minutes tho.

I wouldn't trust him to handle the football in any other situation.

Nothing against him - he just hasn't played much and still needs to learn how to pass block. I bet another offseason of him learning the pass blocking nuances will benefit him greatly.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brown has definitely been an underrated loss for our offense. They don't have anyone who can mash for hard yards behind Gurley. Can't wait until they get him back.

And yeah, have to think that if he doesn't return soon Davis becomes an option. Not that he can mash, but as long as he holds onto the ball I think he provides a better threat between the tackles than Tay Tay.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A lot of film on McVay's offense.....I think DC's are scheming up some great defenses against us.

And

This is the real meat of our schedule to date...teams with playoff aspirations....