Not having Brown has dialed down the high-poweredness of O

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I suspect that RB Lance Dunbar who saw 3 snaps Sunday may not be ready for HD action @ RB in place of Gurley. Dunbar had zero impact in the O Sunday. Brown did not suit up either due to a unsure knee health.So we got TG & TA & a bit of P.Cooper, who I liked being used in the TA role. I am fine with the way in which McVay did with Gurley past Sunday myself. I might have preferred even less utilization but things worked out OK.

Bad for Gurley is he is headed into the 2 biggest games yet down this later half having to carry pretty much all of the running load of this offense. Hopefully next week both Brown, Dunbar & TA can all team together to spell Gurley some rest in keeping him fresh. We DO NOT need to go into the Seahawks game with a run down & injured Gurley.
One game at a Time. Don't worry, this Sunday I think the Jag's "D" will Beat-Up the Hag's, while we take care of the Eagles! At least that's my Hopes!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I also think that McVay is planning for the playoffs.

There are going to be teams that fight like hell to GET to the playoffs and fight like hell in the opening round and essentially use up their ammo.

I'm okay not putting up 40 every game if it means games like yesterday.

I haven't had this much fun with football since the '99 season.

Every win feels like a surprise, relief and also kind of expected.

It's like when a first date really works out and you know..."this is gonna be really nice"

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Having Brown back to run more would certainly go a long way in keeping the offense "on time" while giving Gurley his breather.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
One has to wonder if McVay has lost confidence in Justin Davis, I would have thought he'd get some action.
I was surprised to see Gurley in there late when the game was already won and I was also a little nervous about it as well.

What's the deal with Dunbar?

And why not give Cooper more carries, you'd be surprised - he can run the ball.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was surprised to see Gurley in there late when the game was already won and I was also a little nervous about it as well.

I can't imagine Dunbar or Austin returning next year, i'd save them for the final game of the year after we've wrapped up the division and let our third stringers beat up on the 49'ers while our starters rest up for the play-offs. :sneaky:

fearsomefour

Legend
I doubt McVey is silly enough to worry about trade for a player or anything else.
He feels Austin is going to give the best result on a play. Best result meaning not only a chance at a positive play but not risking a fumble or lining up correctly etc.
Davis can't pass block.
Dunbar probably isent healthy.

fearsomefour

Legend
The O having some diminishing results has as much to do with Ds we are playing as a injured back up RB. Come on folks.

…..

Legend

Dunbar was questionable most of the week with a sore knee. He did get in a full practice Thursday, but remained questionable for the game. He was given the green light for Sunday, but then played no offensive snaps.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Getting a backup RB with a Chris Thompson like skillset will be one the Rams top offensive needs heading into the offseason outside of resigning Watkins and probably Sulivan. Dunbar was supposed to be that guy, but he was never healthy and Justin Davis turned the ball over too much in the preseason to trust him when things actually matter. It has forced Gurley to carry more of the load even though he can handle it makes sense to find a guy who allows you to cut back on his touches so he can be fresher in critical situations.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The O having some diminishing results has as much to do with Ds we are playing as a injured back up RB. Come on folks.
Malcolm Brown was only a slight fall off from Gurley when he got in late in the game.

Gurley and the O line were beating up the D for 3 quarters and then you bring in an even bigger back to continue pounding them - it helps.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Malcolm Brown was only a slight fall off from Gurley when he got in late in the game.

Gurley was beating up the D for 3 quarters and then you bring in an even bigger back to continue pounding them - it helps.

Makes me hope we can incorporate our drafted FB Sam Rogers next year also.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
OK which team might be interested in trading for TA? It must be a team who has 8 million to take a chance on him??? That's what his contract is for 2018. Not all that bad if you are lacking speed in your offense. Right now I can't come up with a NFL team. :bueller:
https://overthecap.com/player/tavon-austin/2189/
My cap knowledge is fuzzy when it comes to trades, but I thought we retain the dead money in a trade so that whoever gets TA would essentially get him for $3M?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Tavon is fine to spell Gurley with. The problem is that McVay wants to only run him up the middle. If we don't want to use Tavon than I am sure Cooper could play RB in a pinch. No reason for Gurley to be run into the ground. We have the pieces to avoid it. Not sure why McVay dosen't trust Davis either. He hasn't even played. Perhaps the pre-season fumble issues or something he is seeing in practice? Hopefully we get Brown back soon though. He' a great backup.

I still don't know why we let Benny Cunningham go.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
avon is fine to spell Gurley with. The problem is that McVay wants to only run him up the middle.
I don't really have a problem with that. If he can get just one crease, then he'll be left with all that field to do his pond skater thing. That aside, I'd really like for the staff to explain why he's rarely sent on 9's or deep posts, or deep crosses. I understand the reasoning behind having the defense up close and hoping Tavon will get past that first line of defense and have all that green, but why are we not utilizing his deep speed? It's bizarre to me.

fearsomefour

Legend

Gurley and the old line were beating up the D for 3 quarters and then you bring in an even bigger back to continue pounding them - it helps.
Yeah.
He's good in that role.
Dunbar was effective as well late in the one game he was in.
McVey threw to close the Saints. That was game plan.
Browns solid.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Brown has definitely been an underrated loss for our offense. They don't have anyone who can mash for hard yards behind Gurley. Can't wait until they get him back.

And yeah, have to think that if he doesn't return soon Davis becomes an option. Not that he can mash, but as long as he holds onto the ball I think he provides a better threat between the tackles than Tay Tay.
Brown also doesn't draw alot of defensive attention when he's in there. He's our 3rd quarter counterpunch before the TG knockout.