Nope, Arians still doesn't like Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nope, Arians still doesn't like Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_41b0fa82-ee9d-5c30-b78c-db3c41f0ee40.html

Bruce Arians played nice Wednesday on his conference call with reporters in St. Louis.

He talked about how he has been going against Rams coach Jeff Fisher and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for a long time, and how the Rams have a great coaching staff.

“I respect the heck out of them,” Arians added. “It’s been a great game every time we’ve played since we got here. It’s a big division game.”

That’s called laying it on a little thick. By now we all know better from Arians, the crusty, straight-shooting coach of the NFC West-leading Arizona Cardinals.

Following the Cardinals’ hard-fought 19-13 victory over San Francisco this past Sunday, Arians said the Big Red must now get ready to play “that team we don’t like.” And he was up to his usual high jinks talking to Arizona reporters Wednesday, when he again talked about his dislike of the Rams.

“I’ll have dinner with ’em, but I ain’t liking ’em,” Arians said. “I ain’t drinking with ’em.”

OK, part of this is pure showmanship. But you also get the feeling that Arians probably won’t be exchanging Christmas cards with Fisher later this month. Then again, that’s what division rivalries are supposed to be like.

Does it hurt the Rams’ feelings that Arians doesn’t like them?

“No,” tight end Lance Kendricks said, laughing. “It’s motivation for both sides.”

“If they don’t like us, that’s perfectly OK,” linebacker James Laurinaitis added.

The Arians barbs were more pointed last Dec. 11 after a hard-fought 12-6 Arizona victory in a Thursday night game at the Edward Jones Dome.

“Everybody wanted to say how great their defense is, but I think they saw a good defense tonight, and it was in red and white,” Arians said at the time.

The Rams were coming off back-to-back shutouts entering that game, so their defense was receiving some hype.

“I love it when nobody says that you will have a chance to win,” Arians said after the game. “There is an 11-3 team, and a team that is always 8-8. You figure it out.”

The 8-8 remark is a now-familiar shot at Fisher’s résumé, and it’s one that the Rams’ coach not surprisingly doesn’t like. Even so, he has steered clear of any war of words with Arians and the Cardinals. And Wednesday was no different.

“I think we’ve got a rivalry going in the division with all three teams,” Fisher said. “I wouldn’t go as far as to say we don’t like them. We respect them and they play hard. We greeted (Arians) when the game’s over.

“Unfortunately for them, we were one of the two games that they lost.”

OK, maybe a slight jab there by Fisher. That was a reference to the Rams’ 24-22 victory at Arizona on Oct. 4, only the fourth loss by Arians in 21 games at University of Phoenix Stadium.

“I’m sure that there’s extra motivation there in addition to their playoff run and trying to secure a home-field advantage and all those kinds of things,” Fisher continued. “But we’re going to play; we’re going to play hard.”

Arizona (9-2) can’t clinch a playoff berth with a victory Sunday in St. Louis, but it can guarantee a 12th consecutive non-winning season for the Rams (4-7).

Amazingly, the Rams are unbeaten against the NFC West this season (3-0), but just 1-7 against the rest of the NFL. Although not quite so lopsided, that’s been the way it has gone since Fisher got here in 2012. The Rams are 10-10-1 against the NFC West, one of football’s toughest divisions in recent years, but 14-24 against everybody else.

“We built this team to compete in the division,” Fisher said. “There’s familiarity. I’m disappointed that we haven’t played good football outside the division, but we have good matchups (in the division). We understand the matchups. We understand the challenges.”

With hopes for a playoff berth all but extinguished, and the prospect of another losing season looming unmistakably on the horizon, that 3-0 record against the division is about all the Rams have to hang their hat on these days.

And to some Rams, this season is more about what the Rams haven’t done outside the division, than what they have done inside it.

“Honestly, it just comes down to us not finishing games this year,” defensive end William Hayes said. “You could put your finger on three games and say that it could’ve been a coin toss, it could’ve went either way.

“And that’s the big thing. I don’t think it has nothing to do with Coach (Fisher). I just think us as a collective group — the players — we’re not doing a good job of finishing plays and doing the things we need to do to win these football games.”

The three games Hayes was referring to were losses to Pittsburgh (12-6), Minnesota (21-18, in overtime), and Baltimore (16-13).

“You win those three games, now you’re talking about us being a wild-card team,” Hayes said. “And all this stuff that’s been going on in the media (about Fisher’s job security) is not even being mentioned.”

Those three games — Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Baltimore — are the difference between 4-7 and 7-4.

“Exactly,” Hayes.

And the difference between two teams headed in opposite directions — the Cardinals have won five straight; the Rams have lost four in a row.

“We know what our challenges are,” Laurinaitis said. “We know that they have an unbelievable offense. They obviously have a couple backs out. They’re gonna come in here probably thinking they can throw it all around. Nobody’s gonna give us a chance to win.”

Probably not. Not even with feature back Chris Johnson (knee, leg) definitely out and third-down back Andre Ellington (turf toe) not expected to play Sunday for the Big Red.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Hey Bruce, It's not hard to have a good defense when you're playing a inept offense. The difference is, we shut down good offenses.
And you scored 12 points against us last year. Big effing deal.

I will say this though as much as I can't stand Arians, I would like Fisher to show a little more grit sometimes.
Like the "they can kiss my ass" comment. Need more of that.

fancents86

Starter
Everyone seems to not like Arians, but I have no prob wth the guy. He called it like it was last season, actually he made us to be better than we were so he didn't completely diss us. I'd take Arians over Fisher in a heartbeat.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I see Bruce says that he'll gladly have dinner with us...

No Shit,,, looks like he never passes on food,,, even if he has to eat it at the same table as his Master Fisher.

LOL

dcramfan

UDFA
Yeah, the feeling is mutual. I wouldn't mind watching him get hit by a truck. Dick.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't like Bruce Arians, but I sure do wish he was the Rams Head Coach!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really don't care what opposing coaches think of our team, at best some bulletin board material.

What I enjoyed more from that piece is what Hayes had to say. It is on the players, even with all the injuries, rookie o line etc, etc it comes down to the players executing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well count me among those who are not giving the Rams a chance to win. Don't like this matchup, the timing of it is bad for this team not to mention how badly the offense has degraded with the OL injuries. Got my fingers crossed of course but not gonna delude myself.

Still, though, Arians can suck it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kicking a team while it's down is not....classy....It's like riding the Browns, Jags, or even the 9ers after all the off-season losses. That shit Arians pulled is dirty...Yeah we're 8-8...our coach is a .500 coach...I think he's a lil bitter because it took so long to get a HC gig....Get in line, there are a BUNCH of coaches that get passed over for the good ole boy HC network...
We need to win this game...Save Fishes job...probably save Snead's job too....If we get blown out here, at home, I think Fish is gone...and a whole new rebuild will take place....So 4-5 more years....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nope, Arians still doesn't like Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_41b0fa82-ee9d-5c30-b78c-db3c41f0ee40.html

Bruce Arians played nice Wednesday on his conference call with reporters in St. Louis.

He talked about how he has been going against Rams coach Jeff Fisher and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for a long time, and how the Rams have a great coaching staff.

“I respect the heck out of them,” Arians added. “It’s been a great game every time we’ve played since we got here. It’s a big division game.”

That’s called laying it on a little thick. By now we all know better from Arians, the crusty, straight-shooting coach of the NFC West-leading Arizona Cardinals.

Following the Cardinals’ hard-fought 19-13 victory over San Francisco this past Sunday, Arians said the Big Red must now get ready to play “that team we don’t like.” And he was up to his usual high jinks talking to Arizona reporters Wednesday, when he again talked about his dislike of the Rams.

“I’ll have dinner with ’em, but I ain’t liking ’em,” Arians said. “I ain’t drinking with ’em.”

OK, part of this is pure showmanship. But you also get the feeling that Arians probably won’t be exchanging Christmas cards with Fisher later this month. Then again, that’s what division rivalries are supposed to be like.

Does it hurt the Rams’ feelings that Arians doesn’t like them?

“No,” tight end Lance Kendricks said, laughing. “It’s motivation for both sides.”

“If they don’t like us, that’s perfectly OK,” linebacker James Laurinaitis added.

The Arians barbs were more pointed last Dec. 11 after a hard-fought 12-6 Arizona victory in a Thursday night game at the Edward Jones Dome.

“Everybody wanted to say how great their defense is, but I think they saw a good defense tonight, and it was in red and white,” Arians said at the time.

The Rams were coming off back-to-back shutouts entering that game, so their defense was receiving some hype.

“I love it when nobody says that you will have a chance to win,” Arians said after the game. “There is an 11-3 team, and a team that is always 8-8. You figure it out.”

The 8-8 remark is a now-familiar shot at Fisher’s résumé, and it’s one that the Rams’ coach not surprisingly doesn’t like. Even so, he has steered clear of any war of words with Arians and the Cardinals. And Wednesday was no different.

“I think we’ve got a rivalry going in the division with all three teams,” Fisher said. “I wouldn’t go as far as to say we don’t like them. We respect them and they play hard. We greeted (Arians) when the game’s over.

“Unfortunately for them, we were one of the two games that they lost.”

OK, maybe a slight jab there by Fisher. That was a reference to the Rams’ 24-22 victory at Arizona on Oct. 4, only the fourth loss by Arians in 21 games at University of Phoenix Stadium.

“I’m sure that there’s extra motivation there in addition to their playoff run and trying to secure a home-field advantage and all those kinds of things,” Fisher continued. “But we’re going to play; we’re going to play hard.”

Arizona (9-2) can’t clinch a playoff berth with a victory Sunday in St. Louis, but it can guarantee a 12th consecutive non-winning season for the Rams (4-7).

Amazingly, the Rams are unbeaten against the NFC West this season (3-0), but just 1-7 against the rest of the NFL. Although not quite so lopsided, that’s been the way it has gone since Fisher got here in 2012. The Rams are 10-10-1 against the NFC West, one of football’s toughest divisions in recent years, but 14-24 against everybody else.

“We built this team to compete in the division,” Fisher said. “There’s familiarity. I’m disappointed that we haven’t played good football outside the division, but we have good matchups (in the division). We understand the matchups. We understand the challenges.”

With hopes for a playoff berth all but extinguished, and the prospect of another losing season looming unmistakably on the horizon, that 3-0 record against the division is about all the Rams have to hang their hat on these days.

And to some Rams, this season is more about what the Rams haven’t done outside the division, than what they have done inside it.

“Honestly, it just comes down to us not finishing games this year,” defensive end William Hayes said. “You could put your finger on three games and say that it could’ve been a coin toss, it could’ve went either way.

“And that’s the big thing. I don’t think it has nothing to do with Coach (Fisher). I just think us as a collective group — the players — we’re not doing a good job of finishing plays and doing the things we need to do to win these football games.”

The three games Hayes was referring to were losses to Pittsburgh (12-6), Minnesota (21-18, in overtime), and Baltimore (16-13).

“You win those three games, now you’re talking about us being a wild-card team,” Hayes said. “And all this stuff that’s been going on in the media (about Fisher’s job security) is not even being mentioned.”

Those three games — Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Baltimore — are the difference between 4-7 and 7-4.

“Exactly,” Hayes.

And the difference between two teams headed in opposite directions — the Cardinals have won five straight; the Rams have lost four in a row.

“We know what our challenges are,” Laurinaitis said. “We know that they have an unbelievable offense. They obviously have a couple backs out. They’re gonna come in here probably thinking they can throw it all around. Nobody’s gonna give us a chance to win.”

Probably not. Not even with feature back Chris Johnson (knee, leg) definitely out and third-down back Andre Ellington (turf toe) not expected to play Sunday for the Big Red.
"F--K This Big Red BS!":puke:They know what we do to their QB's EVERY time we Play!! Expect us to Sack them 4 Times Minimum! Not count Hits, Pressures etc.
Rams will Win 34-24, but the game won't really be that close!!:football: Think of What Tavon and Guurrrrly can do on their best day, and you'll get the Picture!!:boxing::D

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Id love to see us drop a 50 burger on these chumps. Obviously it's never going to happen considering we have the worst offense in football, one of, if not the single lowest ever third down conversion percentage, but I'd still love to see it happen.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see Bruce says that he'll gladly have dinner with us...

Yes... yes... now, where did I put that arsenic again? :LOL:

Kidding aside, I don't necessarily like him, but I respect what he's done out there.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't care what opposing coaches think of our team, at best some bulletin board material.

What I enjoyed more from that piece is what Hayes had to say. It is on the players, even with all the injuries, rookie o line etc, etc it comes down to the players executing.

It was nice of him to say as he didn't have to say it.....but, that's how all the players SHOULD feel. Any player that feels like the coach is holding them back shouldn't be on the team. Have to worry about yourself first and foremost.

It's upper management's job to recognize when the coach is holding the team back and then make a change. One could argue that regardless of who the coach is, it comes down to execution - no coach ever designs a game plan with the intention of losing, therefore from their perspective, if the execution is good, they'll win.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't like Arians, Rex Ryan, Bellichick, and Pete Carrol. And I don't want any as our head coach. I want to at least like our personnel.

Arians is acting like he is tough and disdainful, but the real reason he doesn't like the Rams is that they scare the Hell out of him. The Rams injure QBs with glancing blows that barely make contact and it intimates him and he hates it.

I would like to see a hard hit that is carried out of bounds and right into that big blowhard and knocks him on his ass or sprains his knee. Then next year he will coach from the booth.

azcards

UDFA
I don't like Arians, Rex Ryan, Bellichick, and Pete Carrol. And I don't want any as our head coach. I want to at least like our personnel.

Arians is acting like he is tough and disdainful, but the real reason he doesn't like the Rams is that they scare the Hell out of him. The Rams injure QBs with glancing blows that barely make contact and it intimates him and he hates it.

I would like to see a hard hit that is carried out of bounds and right into that big blowhard and knocks him on his ass or sprains his knee. Then next year he will coach from the booth.

I must be weird not wishing injury on anyone in the NFL...coaches or players.