Non-highlight #2: Keenum's audible

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks for the film...

A couple talking points...

I read/heard if the db is close you throw the lob/fade to the corner....let the receiver battle for the ball...if it is off coverage, you'd run a slant (my favorite route) or a stop or out...we run a bunch of outs...
I think Quick didn't get the audible...but have they really gone over that situation? I mean, he's feeding Tavon all game...over the more effective Quick/Kendricks...has he really used Brian? Got him familiar with certain audibles in THIS situation? That's troubling....guy in his 5th yr....doesn't realize the plays changing...and they're going to him...in a do or die moment of the game... Damn shame...I thought he did something similar with Foles last year...or was it with Keenum???
I've highlighted the very moment Keenum calls an audible to Quick on the play, and you can see Quick is turned to Keenum, so he had to have seen it. Is what it is. You can clearly see, however, that Quick had MORE than enough time to get to the spot and contest the ball, so that's gonna dispel the myth that even if Quick knew the play, he had no chance to get there.
Quick looked confused...but still, terrible throw...needs to be in the corner...but still, receiver needs to be there...and had Quick been close, I can almost guarantee he'd catch that pass over DRC....damn shame...

Get on those 2 coaches....they can change the game...we need all 3 receivers...esp. Britt & Quick...all these Tavon targets are killing me...

The two of them were not on the same page
This....and playing together for 2 years, why? Coaches? Lazy?

He has been in the NFL for 4+ years. He should know the audibles.
He should...but how often has he been called? I remember one play a year ago...similar...fade route...That's a coaching thing right there...and guess what, usually the QB makes sure the receivers know the audibles...the certain keys...and go over this with the players...esp. RAW players...

Just a piss poor job at execution, at a critical moment in the game...

and no matter what we all saw...the stats will show to game losing int's by the QB in the last 2 games....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This....and playing together for 2 years, why? Coaches? Lazy?
To be fair, Keenum threw only 6 passes at Quick all of last year. So it's really only 10 games they've been playing together over two years. To me, it has nothing to do with coaching. Keenum clearly gave Quick an audible, and Quick didn't follow it. So he either didn't know what it meant, or he didn't want to run that route. The first is the most likely, because the second isn't his decision to make.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
I'm just sad because that was most definitely a game we were going to win. Their offense was awful/our d did very very well minus that prayer that Odell caught on the go ahead drive. Take away the very preventable turnovers and we had it easily.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Because he read the blitz and saw the one-on-one opportunity.
There is absolutely nothing wrong, that I can see, with taking that shot right there.
Quick is a big enough guy, and he would have had leverage/could shield the defender.

I still don't follow that logic. The fact that he read a blitz doesn't dictate throwing into the end zone. In fact, a lot of times the best response to a blitz is to throw a shorter, quicker pass because the defense has vacated so much of the field and the receiver has room to run. Throwing the ball to the spot at which Quick actually ran would have been a perfectly good response to a blitz.

Again, it comes down to situational awareness. Given the trajectory of that pass, Keenum wasn't trying to get a first down are really trying to do anything other than tossing it up there and hoping - hoping - something good happened. As others have said, it was just a panic throw, in addition to the poor situational awareness, and no amount of throwing shade on Quick will change that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Now that was a lob pass instead of a punt pass . I knew you'd find one , but I think that's it .
Either way, it's just a jump ball pass.
I don't think the arc matters much. I'm willing to bet Quick shields the defender and comes down with that one if he runs the route and keeps his eye on the ball.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
And guys if you want to pain yourself watch gurley on the play before this (mike thomas incompletion) with no defender within 10 yards of him, at the very minimum a 7-8 yard gain.
If it's the play i'm thinking of i saw it. You could see him running free for a split second on camera before the tv angle moved away. I was wondering if there was a defender in a wide zone off camera.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
n fact, a lot of times the best response to a blitz is to throw a shorter, quicker pass because the defense has vacated so much of the field and the receiver has room to run. Throwing the ball to the spot at which Quick actually ran would have been a perfectly good response to a blitz.
ahhhh....this is what I was trying to get at...the HOT route....the corner bailed...of all the times we run short stuff, we actually audible to a fade route...when the corner bails out....on a blitz...seems to me the way to beat the blitz is a quick pass...I guarantee the Rams know...Boras knows...Groh knows...who fucked up.

And like you, just the way the ball was floating out there...looks like a prayer move...rather than some plan to attack the defense...

yeah @-X-
what thirteen said....LOLOLOLOL:ROFLMAO:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Again, it comes down to situational awareness. Given the trajectory of that pass, Keenum wasn't trying to get a first down are really trying to do anything other than tossing it up there and hoping - hoping - something good happened. As others have said, it was just a panic throw, in addition to the poor situational awareness, and no amount of throwing shade on Quick will change that.
Well yeah. Every QB that throws a contested ball is hoping his guy comes down with it. I don't care who does that - Brady, Rodgers, Manning - they're all just relying on their guy to get position and come down with it (it's not hope). I don't see it as a panic throw, because he *calmly* recognized the one-on-one, audibled (out of the gun, no less), and tossed it up for his guy to make a play on it. Making it anything more than that is just looking for something that isn't there, IMO. Turns out the blitz wouldn't have affected either throw (the one that happened, and the one they were gonna call initially), but Quick is entirely responsible for his half of that audible (understanding the call and executing it). That's not 'shade'. That's just what happened.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well yeah. Every QB that throws a contested ball is hoping his guy comes down with it. I don't care who does that - Brady, Rodgers, Manning - they're all just relying on their guy to get position and come down with it (it's not hope). I don't see it as a panic throw, because he *calmly* recognized the one-on-one, audibled (out of the gun, no less), and tossed it up for his guy to make a play on it. Making it anything more than that is just looking for something that isn't there, IMO. Turns out the blitz wouldn't have affected either throw (the one that happened, and the one they were gonna call initially), but Quick is entirely responsible for his half of that audible (understanding the call and executing it). That's not 'shade'. That's just what happened.

He recognized the blitz, he didn't recognize the coverage. And given the situation, there were better options there.

We can agree to disagree, but I stand by my assertion that the pick is mostly, if not solely on Keenum, based on the fact that he could have played that different irrespective of what Quick did.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He recognized the blitz, he didn't recognize the coverage. And given the situation, there were better options there.

We can agree to disagree, but I stand by my assertion that the pick is mostly, if not solely on Keenum, based on the fact that he could have played that different irrespective of what Quick did.
That's fine, but I 100% disagree.
He went for the kill-shot, and it had a very good chance of working if one-half of the tandem knew what the hell was going on.
And that's not me being a Keenum fan boy, because I would have pointed the finger at Quick no matter who the QB was in that situation.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That's fine, but I 100% disagree.
He went for the kill-shot, and it had a very good chance of working if one-half of the tandem knew what the hell was going on.
And that's not me being a Keenum fan boy, because I would have pointed the finger at Quick no matter who the QB was in that situation.

And I would have pointed the finger at the QB in that situation for lousy situational awareness and misreading the coverage.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it's a mistake to question the decision to go to Quick there on an adjusted route. Case had a look he liked, changed the route at the LOS, and took his shot.

What is questionable is the throw itself, and of course Quick not running the adjusted route. Execution continues to be the thing holding this offense back. I would simply like to know what Fisher and Boras are going to do about it, because you see that accountability with the defensive side of the ball with guys like Sensabaugh, but on offense they get excuses and more opportunities.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why audible into a situation where you do throw into the end zone, when you don't need to and when the opposing D is expecting you too?

Because he read the blitz and saw the one-on-one opportunity.
There is absolutely nothing wrong, that I can see, with taking that shot right there.
Quick is a big enough guy, and he would have had leverage/could shield the defender.

I would have gone for the first down. I was saying it on the TV. Quick versus ARC? On a jump ball in the end zone? Rogers Cromartie is too good for that especially against an average receiver like Quick. Why not fake the fade and short throw it to Quick? He could easily have had the first down. Keenum is just not good under pressure. He saw the blitz was coming and just wanted to get rid of the ball fast, even if it was not the best scenario.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And I would have pointed the finger at the QB in that situation for lousy situational awareness and misreading the coverage.
Well, okay, but how do you misread man coverage?
That's exactly what Warner attributed his success to. Reading the isolation route and throwing it up to either Bruce or Holt.
Lousy situational awareness? Yeah, I don't think we're even in the same neighborhood in that regard. But it's cool.
Not gonna see everything the same way.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why not fake the fade and short throw it to Quick
I don't think you can fake a fade. Not with a blitz coming anyway.
He barely got the ball off as it was, but he did get it off - and where only one of two guys could catch it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think you can fake a fade. Not with a blitz coming anyway.
He barely got the ball off as it was, but he did get it off - and where only one of two guys could catch it.

I don't like the all or nothing play when there was still time and still a first down to be had....especially against Cromartie Rogers.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well, okay, but how do you misread man coverage?

They were playing off and giving up the underneath stuff in order to defend the end zone. If you watch the play, Quick wasn't the only guy who was open underneath.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They were playing off and giving up the underneath stuff in order to defend the end zone. If you watch the play, Quick wasn't the only guy who was open underneath.
Yeah, they probably could have picked up a couple of yards, but DRC wasn't giving up the first down. Either way, 4th down is coming up.
I think all it boils down to is whether or not you (or I) appreciate aggressive play-calling in that situation. I do. You apparently do not.
Is what it is.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah, they probably could have picked up a couple of yards, but DRC wasn't giving up the first down. Either way, 4th down is coming up.
I think all it boils down to is whether or not you (or I) appreciate aggressive play-calling in that situation. I do. You apparently do not.
Is what it is.

No need to take a shot at me.

I like aggression when warranted. I also like smart football. When I believe the two conflict, I default to the latter.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right because when a big CB is standing in the end zone watching the ball the whole way its no longer a 50/50 ball . Quick would've had to run straight through him to have a chance because he was camped under it like a can of corn . The only 50/50 was who was to blame . Quick for not recognizing the audible or Keenum for the bad read .

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No need to take a shot at me.

I like aggression when warranted. I also like smart football. When I believe the two conflict, I default to the latter.
Dude. That wasn't a shot. I said *in that situation* I liked the aggressive play-call.
You apparently don't, because you've spent a lot of time in this thread telling me exactly that.
Did you not say that it would have been better to throw underneath?

tbux

Rookie
I think it is clear what happened and X is dead on, cemented by Fishers response after the game- where he was all over the wrs for their mistakes in this game. Keenum CLEARLY gave a signal to Quick, so I don't see much debate here. JMO

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Obviously the answer is for PFF to assign the blame, it's really the only way to know for sure.

Sorry I can't resist, but this discussion reminded me of:
a.gif