Non-highlight #2: Keenum's audible

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
@gabriel18 asked me to post this, so here it is.

I've highlighted the very moment Keenum calls an audible to Quick on the play, and you can see Quick is turned to Keenum, so he had to have seen it. Is what it is. You can clearly see, however, that Quick had MORE than enough time to get to the spot and contest the ball, so that's gonna dispel the myth that even if Quick knew the play, he had no chance to get there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME8MDlTDHTg

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Looks like Quick decided to keep with the rest of the Boras gameplan on 3rd down and go short instead of getting to the sticks.....

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
What the heck is in Quick's head?
First guess is rocks..........

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Looks like Quick decided to keep with the rest of the Boras gameplan on 3rd down and go short instead of getting to the sticks.....

lol I was thinking the exact same thing! Only the Rams run routes short of the end zone/first down on critical do or die moments.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Fouts did a great job of providing insight on the audible. Glad these guys spent all that time on the road together "bonding" and learning together. Meanwhile, another first year HC beats Fisher. Just pathetic!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for posting . The two of them were not on the same page but it was still the highest lob pass I've seen . I still don't agree at throwing a 50/50 ball against a big CB . I think Britt was matched up on a safety and I would trust him more . Either way it's just one game on the way to 7-9 and I'm sure they'll upset someone later in the year to get there .

Ram65

Legend
We will never know what the result of the play would have been had Quick run the audible route. He has been in the NFL for 4+ years. He should know the audibles.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
lol I was thinking the exact same thing! Only the Rams run routes short of the end zone/first down on critical do or die moments.

It was 3rd and 10, not 3rd and goal. The Rams could have got a 1st down without scoring.

There were 50 seconds left as well. The Rams had a timeout remaining.

You don't need to throw to the end zone in that situation ... and from the coverage, it's clear that the Giants were expecting the Rams to do just that.

Why audible into a situation where you do throw into the end zone, when you don't need to and when the opposing D is expecting you too?

If Keenum doesn't audible, if he makes a good throw to where Quick went, Quick has 5 yards as soon as he catches the ball and possibly picks up a few more, maybe even a first down. He's close enough to the sideline to get out of bounds to stop the clock and preserve the timeout. If he doesn't get the first down, he at least makes it 4th and a manageable distance.

It was not only unnecessary to throw into the end zone in that situation, it was a bad call even if it's not a pick because the Giants had the end zone covered - three guys in the end zone and one on the goal line when the pick is made. So even if you accept that Quick should have ran into the end zone for a contested jump ball, it was a bad audible and a bad read, because the Rams could have picked up yards and possibly the first down with a shorter pass that was uncontested. The audible and misread of the defense are on Keenum (and to credit Quick, even if he messed up on the audible, it appears he at least read the coverage).

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
My problem with this play is Quick was wide open miscommunication or not, throw it to him instead of throwing it where he should have been. Especially if you see he didn't run the play right.

Had Quick ran the route he was supposed to, it would have been a 50/50 jump ball the defense was ready for it. Had Keenum thrown it to Quick instead of throwing it to where he should of been that's a TD or a 1st down at minimum giving us 4 more shots at the TD since we still had a timeout.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did Fisher or anyone else speak on that call? How do we know that the sight adjustment wasn't an option route?

Maybe the option was the stop or the fade based on the coverage. DRC bails out to play the long ball. If it is an option, Quick might have run the right route. Hard to say.

Even still, why is Keenum throwing the fade like that?

During the game, I put this INT on Quick. Still feel it was likely on Quick. But Keenum did some questionable things.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
Did Fisher or anyone else speak on that call? How do we know that the sight adjustment wasn't an option route?

Maybe the option was the stop or the fade based on the coverage. DRC bails out to play the long ball. If it is an option, Quick might have run the right route. Hard to say.

Even still, why is Keenum throwing the fade like that?

During the game, I put this INT on Quick. Still feel it was likely on Quick. But Keenum did some questionable things.
Excellent point. If that was an option route quick did great because he was WIDE open and would easily have picked up a first and possibly a touchdown if he sheds the tackle. Still the highest fade I have EVER seen though lol.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
It was 3rd and 10, not 3rd and goal. The Rams could have got a 1st down without scoring.

There were 50 seconds left as well. The Rams had a timeout remaining.

You don't need to throw to the end zone in that situation ... and from the coverage, it's clear that the Giants were expecting the Rams to do just that.

Why audible into a situation where you do throw into the end zone, when you don't need to and when the opposing D is expecting you too?

If Keenum doesn't audible, if he makes a good throw to where Quick went, Quick has 5 yards as soon as he catches the ball and possibly picks up a few more, maybe even a first down. He's close enough to the sideline to get out of bounds to stop the clock and preserve the timeout. If he doesn't get the first down, he at least makes it 4th and a manageable distance.

It was not only unnecessary to throw into the end zone in that situation, it was a bad call even if it's not a pick because the Giants had the end zone covered - three guys in the end zone and one on the goal line when the pick is made. So even if you accept that Quick should have ran into the end zone for a contested jump ball, it was a bad audible and a bad read, because the Rams could have picked up yards and possibly the first down with a shorter pass that was uncontested. The audible and misread of the defense are on Keenum (and to credit Quick, even if he messed up on the audible, it appears he at least read the coverage).

:cheers:

Exactly.

fearsomefour

Legend
Thanks for posting . The two of them were not on the same page but it was still the highest lob pass I've seen . I still don't agree at throwing a 50/50 ball against a big CB . I think Britt was matched up on a safety and I would trust him more . Either way it's just one game on the way to 7-9 and I'm sure they'll upset someone later in the year to get there .
I get the high lob, Quick is probably the most complete athletic receiver on the team.
He can jump through the roof ect. The high lob increases the odds of a PI call.
Going to Britt vs a S is not a bad choice either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because he read the blitz and saw the one-on-one opportunity.
There is absolutely nothing wrong, that I can see, with taking that shot right there.
Quick is a big enough guy, and he would have had leverage/could shield the defender.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get the high lob, Quick is probably the most complete athletic receiver on the team.
He can jump through the roof ect. The high lob increases the odds of a PI call.
Going to Britt vs a S is not a bad choice either.
OK But how many high lobs has Quick caught in 4+ years . I can't remember one .

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Ugh...
200.gif

BelgianRam

UDFA
Name
Timoty
I know hindsight is 20/20, and I'm saying this recollecting the live game experience in London, but my immediate taught was brian quick ran the right route based on the coverage and case was wrong analyzing the defense. Also it was the typical panic throw we have seen from case when he feels pressure immediately after the snap.

And guys if you want to pain yourself watch gurley on the play before this (mike thomas incompletion) with no defender within 10 yards of him, at the very minimum a 7-8 yard gain.