No more excuses for Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
shaunpinney said:
Our O-line this year is going to be solid (as long as we have no injuries) Saffold isn't going to let the side down, he's going to excel at the position. It'll raise his value at the end of the season...

LT: Jake Long (no. 2 - Saffold) (no.3 - Nsekhe)
LG: Rokevious Watkins (no. 2 - Smith)
C: Scott Wells (no. 2 - Jones) (no. 3 - Barnes)
RG: Harvey Dahl (no. 2 - Williams) (no. 3 - Washington)
RT: Roger Saffold (no. 3 - Barksdale)

Barrett Jones is also a player that can play the whole line, so I'm happier with our O-line this season than I have been for a long time...

Current OL going into camp

That's the problem each and every year we have injuries why would you expect it to be any different this season. shaunpinney do you have any concerns that of the five you listed two have extensive injury history in just a still young NFL career. Three of your listed starters were on the IR last season. Four are coming off long term rehabbing times. The all important Saffold you held up so high has missed parts or whole 21 games in two seasons. How can you say Saffold is going to excel when he has yet to perform the duties @ ORT in any training camp or pre season or any NFL game at Right OT? Saffold who has played left OT & nothing else in HS, College & NFL may have been drafted & planned by Spags to play ORT but that never took place, it never happened. For two NFL drafts Fisher & Snead have not drafted the first Offensive Tackle they have instead brought in UFA's or wavered OT's? Early last year they did well with UFA's OT's in Richardson, Hunter, Ojinnaka & Turner. Later when the season started they brought in Barksdale, Nsekhe & Chris Williams. Snead & Fisher have dispersed the first four OT's and have kept the later three & brought in UFA Long & UDFA Brown. so they are doing it again this season. Thus far Snead & fisher do not feel strongly about building an OL through the draft with top first and second day draft selections, completely different from the current top two teams in our division & NFC ... San Fran & Seattle.

I wished I had your such optimism on all these Ram OL facts. I had a serious natural high & much higher optimism last season after Fisher cast off starting OLG Jacob Bell, OC Jason Brown, Swing OT Adam Goldberg & ORT Jason Smith. But when Snead & Fisher waited till the third day of the draft to reach to select Rok Watkins as the only move through the draft. Fisher made a high end purchase for a small average strength but smart well seasoned center only to see him having three surgeries on the same leg (knee & bones in foot). I did watch Wells play and found his play poor period and outplayed @ center by Robert Turner. First regular season game Rams watched as Sam Bradford's OL lost starting center, OLG & OLT. That's unusual for most NFL teams but not the Rams. Rams inserted their rookie OL Watkins into the OLG post but he was also injured in this first game too& was IR'd. So in the first NFL game Rams placed two OL'ers on IR and Saffold did return in week two but was injured again and was out until week 10. Saffold's back up Wayne Hunter played OLT for 3 games until he was hurt & was out for 5 weeks thus giving us Barksdale starting in 2 games and took up the swing OT position for 3 other games.

Early last season Sam Bradford suffered through protection from Fisher's Ram OL'ers who played in their first regular NFL games OLT Ty Nsekhe, OLG Shelley Smith, OLT Joe Barksdale & OLG Rok Watkins. Sam also survived the protection of discarded released refurbishing OL projects like OLT Wayne Hunter, ORT/ORG Chris Williams & OLG Quinn Ojinnaka :ohno: :omg: . YIKES! So that all happened over the first quarter of the season. Sam Bradford is lucky to be alive! Kudos for Sam Bradford! :bangin:

This current OL as we have now does on paper look to have some very good potential. The Rams 3 center cadre containing 32 yr old rehabbing Wells, 2nd yr player UDFA Tim Barnes & rookie 4th rd pick Barrett Jones would not be as good as last yrs 2012's Wells-Turner-Barnes edition. Only Wells has any NFL game experience.

Fisher went into 2012 with Turner-Dahl & Watkins dumping Bryan Mathison & Quinn Ojinnaka before the season started. Fisher quickly burned through his OG's in his first game of 2012. Being forced to roam the streets to bring back the great Ojinnaka back to replace Watkins & sign Shelley Smith off of the Texan release waver wire. Fisher went into the regular season with only three OT's and when injuries struck the OT cadre it sent Fisher doing the same thing for OT's who were unemployed. Thus the early Sam Bradford Ram season OL was made up unemployed discarded street free agents Shelley Smith, Joe Barksdale, TY Nsekhe, Brandon Washington, Quinn Ojinnaka & Chris Williams.

The current 2013 OG candidates looks fat in numbers & unknowns too. Texans 2010 6th rd pick Shelley Smith & Harvey Dahl have NFL experience starting now. Dahl should be healthy enough and Smith held his own starting games @ both OLG & ORG. Rok Watkins is said to be finally in playing condition but will still be considered a first yr player after spending all of his TC & pre season just getting into shape missing valuable practice time in 2012 with Boudreau. Eagles 6th rd 2012 pick Brandon Washington is also here & healthy ready to get with Boudreau too. So the four OG cadre should be ample or adequate for 2013. The Rams also signed UDFA Kevin Saia a 6-2 310 pound LEFT OG from Louisiana tech who played four seasons @ OLG. So Fisher gets a plus here.

The OT candidates of OLT Jake Long, Rodger Saffold ORT, Swing 3rd OT Chris Williams 5yr vet, OLT Joe Barksdale 2 yr vet & OLT Ty Nsekhe 1st yr. Fisher added another UDFA in Branden Brown 6-6 310 pound Right tackle started 38 games @ ORT protecting a left hand QB. I think that Barrett Jones is a better NFL quick fix @ OT than a NFL OG. Jones does not have the power or strength to handle NFL DT's but DE is another story he might excel better than we think. We know that C.Williams is no starting OT either at side he has failed seriously @ OLG too. CW might be a possible ORG reserve so CW is a minus. Barksdale played mostly @ OLT in college failed to make the very weak Oakland Raider 2012 as a reserve OT? He was waved before the reg. season started. Rams have hyped him up. Barksdale would be a very weak 3rd swing OT. The 6-8 tall Nsekhe spent 3 yrs playing semi pro ball until the panic'd Colts signed him in Aug 2012 they quickly released Ty. Month later the Rams signed him to roster after the rash of OL injuries. Ty did see the Game day field several times. Rams did what the Colt did released him a few weeks later. Later signed him to the PS. IMO 4th rd pick of Barrett Jones may have more talent & worth as the best swing OT candidate of the entire bunch of Fisher's OT candidates. That's not good my fellow ROD'ers. Guess I should point out that two OG candidates have decent college OT experience (Washington & Watkins played OT their Sr seasons). Washington play OLT and Watkins best games came from ORT.

Summary

Seems to me that Snead & Fisher are gambling on this cadre of OL'ers once again remaining healthy. At the very center of this situation is Rodger Saffold the NEW starting Right OT .......Saffold will have to have the best & healthiest NFL season in 2013 for this OL to be what most think it will be....If we used Ram past OL history makes this a serious bad bet. Would you call it a bad bet in 2013? Ok if that not enough weight on Saffold's shoulders Fisher is depending on Saffold to be the backup to the all important OLT post too for Jake Long too. Not an issue right?

Rodger Saffold Sidebar Paragraph
Since Saffold's arrival he has been assigned to play game day next to OLG's like Jacob Bell, Hank Fraley, Jason Brown, Kevin Hughes, Tony Wragge, Robert Turner, Quinn Ojinnaka & Rok Watkins. Saffold being teamed finally with a aggressive talented OG like Harvey Dahl might be the best thing that has happened to him since entering the NFL. So I am looking for anything positive from all angles here. Saffold might find more happiness with Harvey. The best thing I could wish for from this flip flop of Saffold is he does experience an all pro season @ ORT & Snead & Fisher pay him OLT $$$ to be here for the next half decade! :woooot:

If Saffold goes left who goes right? Who is the top reserve ORT ? Who is that? Have you named them yet? Got their names OK. What your telling me is Fisher is betting on pass former NFL grade failures @ ORT in Joe Barksdale & Chris Williams. Is that what you are telling me? I am supposed to feel good about that? Rams did not draft a future ORT this yr. They did not draft one last yr either. They did not draft one in 2011 either but that was Spags too. I said last month the best most experienced ORT we have on the Ram roster is our starting 32 yr old Harvey Dahl...He was a starting ORT in college & spent the first half of his NFL yrs playing ORT before Boudreau gave him a chance to play OG. Harvey is not all that good @ ORT but he would be the best so this brings out my point on the situation @ ORT is. On the positive side I feel so good about 4th rd. rookie Barrett Jones that before I would bet on JB or CW starting @ ORT I would go with rookie Jones starting ORT he is no failure like the other two. In the near future fisher will need to develop or draft a starting ORT after this season.

It should also be said that this 2013 draft for Right OT's was deplorable in value so they could be much smarter that the rest of the NFL GM's & HC's for not wasting draft picks on very low quality ORT's. Lets face it if those two can pull off this major transition of Saffold left to right & Saffold does excel & stays healthy for the first time since 2010 as shaunpinney & most ROD'ers believe then Sam Bradford will ride this wave far into the playoffs. I do not think that even Saffold knows how important he is to Sam Bradford and the entire 2013 season. If Sam is constantly looking right and seeing Saffold constantly destroying & pancaking DE's that effect on Sam's comfort-ability will soar off the charts something he has had very little of since his arrival here. Thus allowing him to constantly read his check-downs & make the proper throws over & over again.

OLT- Jake Long/R.Saffold/J.Barksdale/ T.Nsekhe
OLG- S.Smith/B.Washington(R)/K.Saia(R)/B.Jones(R)
OC- S.Wells/T.Barnes/B.Jones(R)
ORG- H.Dahl/C.Williams/R.Watkins
ORT- Saffold/B.Jones(R)/B.Brown(R)/R.Watkins

Conclusion
Sam Bradford has showed over and over again that if he is given time in the pocket & is comfortable he can carve up any defense even the best defenses like 9ers & Seahags even without any NFL grade A weapons. To Snead & Fisher credit have spent big amounts of cap money on 2 veteran all pro OL'ers to protect Sam in Scott Wells & Jake Long. Snead & Fisher have placed a ton of pressure on Paul Boudreau on the rest of what they have brought in to direct instruct & guide a jumble of new Ram cadre into the right perfect 2013 OL for Sam Bradford.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A career passer rating darn near 80... on those teams... just short of amazing.

I think where many people fall short is perspective. And... the fact there is only one Peyton Manning.

Bradford doesn't have to lead the league in stats to be a success in my book. It appears most everyone here agrees with that.

Team game.

A55VA6

Legend
Agreed. Does Sam Bradford have what it takes to win a Super Bowl? I believe he does. Will he ever be a Brady or Manning? Maybe, maybe not.. but with a good defense and weapons.. I think Sam has what it takes. I bought his jersey for a reason.

Some people don't know, or fail to remember that Sam has had 3 different systems. It's almost equivalent to still being a rookie. This year, he doesn't have to learn a new system.. he knows the ares where he can improve. And now he has weapons to give the ball to. I feel like Bradford and this offense can be surprisingly dangerous this year.

RamsNation

Rookie
I have faith Sam will prove to people what he can do with actual talent around him(which we all think he has now,all potential based albeit)nonetheless he has help now.I just hate the word "excuse",Sam has never mad any excuses about talent around him,help or anything.He has taken every lose like a man/leader that has ATL type talent supporting him.And when he wins he differs to a great team effort and spreads the love.I can't stand when people bash him like he's not trying or just waiting until he has elite talent surrounding him.He gives it his all every Sunday and that's all you can ask.The salary things is not his fault,he was unfortunately the last #1 to be drafted under the old CBA,people act like he should of turned the money down or gave it back.I don't think he is in a prove it this year or your gone type of situation but I do agree it is time to see him take that next step.But I'm not talking about personal stats,I'm talking about taking the offense as a whole to the next level.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CGI_Ram said:
A career passer rating darn near 80... on those teams... just short of amazing.

I think where many people fall short is perspective. And... the fact there is only one Peyton Manning.

Bradford doesn't have to lead the league in stats to be a success in my book. It appears most everyone here agrees with that.

Team game.

I don't think it has anything to do with PManning. It's Warner. He set the bar so effing high for many fans that unless the guy playing QB for the Rams is vaporizing defenses it isn't enough.

It seems that people don't realize how long ago that was and how much the pro game has changed. They expect Bradford to be like that and he isn't he is a different QB.

A55VA6

Legend
I had a friend tell me this: People say Bradford sucks and this and that for one reason: It's fun to make fun of the Rams.

Because of our years at the bottom of the league everyone is just stuck on us being terrible and every player is terrible unless we're winning playoff games.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A55VA6 said:
I had a friend tell me this: People say Bradford sucks and this and that for one reason: It's fun to make fun of the Rams.

Because of our years at the bottom of the league everyone is just stuck on us being terrible and every player is terrible unless we're winning playoff games.

Oh, how those people will shut up this year. I can't wait to see some of their faces. This is going to be good!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ebonemalone said:
I don't care, this season will be great. I have faith in him
Sup Ebone. Welcome to the joint, brudda.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Sam is going to look like a point guard this season, dishing off to *legitimate* play makers.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
If average Joe flacco or big rapey Ben can win superbowls so can Sam

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:

Both of those guys have add WEAPONS. Now Sam has some. Game on.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OnceARam said:
Rabid Ram said:

True. Now the playing field is level.

"Big Rapey Ben." lol. That was funny.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
OnceARam said:
Rabid Ram said:

Tis what im saying.

Alot of Sam naysayers are also the same who believes you have to have a uber quarterback to win in this league anymore. When in actuality its the weapons around the qb and hogs up front protecting that make winning teams and winning qbs. The are a few exceptions to this like Peyton Rodgers or Brady. But for the most part it remains true..

V3

Hall of Fame
I just hope fans remember that our WR's are still very young and learning the position. I wouldn't expect the rookies to do too much this year. Rookie WR's hardly ever do. The 2nd year guys will improve some but will it be enough. I still have my doubts on Quick.

It's like having all your ingredients for a stew in the pot but you still have to let them simmer for a while. We have all the components but are they ready?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
V3 said:
I just hope fans remember that our WR's are still very young and learning the position. I wouldn't expect the rookies to do too much this year. Rookie WR's hardly ever do. The 2nd year guys will improve some but will it be enough. I still have my doubts on Quick.

It's like having all your ingredients for a stew in the pot but you still have to let them simmer for a while. We have all the components but are they ready?

The usual suspects on the PD won't. Here? I think most here will.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
V3 said:

Where can I get that graphic in your sig. I want to send that to a couple of people. It's a classic.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Sam has never been one to use excuses, anyways. He will also be the first to deflect attention from him and praise his defense, o-line, receivers, and coaches before he takes any credit. I am smelling a breakout year for him.

V3

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:
V3 said:

Where can I get that graphic in your sig. I want to send that to a couple of people. It's a classic.

Here's the original version on YouTube:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJXvsCLu6s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJXvsCLu6s</a>

Better quality too.