No more excuses for Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
It is amazing how Sam has even got it done with the spares he had at wideout. Much as I respect DA 16 he was hurt too much. Now Rams have a speed team.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Iron Lion said:
I think ultimately his issue is not vision or receiver locking, but rather conservatism.

100% correct.

but that's probably because he didn't trust his receivers 100%.

we all saw in that final drive against the bills that sam can thread the tiniest of needles play after play. and that the receivers could make plays. but throughout the season the consistency wasn't there and that's what made bradford gun shy. sometimes he just made awful throws and that probably also led to the conservatism.

fisher knows exactly what sam can do, he can do it all. he just has to pull the trigger. it's up to fisher to to build him up to be a calculating, fearless qb.

nighttrain

Legend
Warner4Prez said:
Ram Quixote said:
Forget about the added weapons; this second year in the same system is going to be the difference for Bradford.

I've said this before: if the Rams played this season with the same weapons as last year, Bradford would still pass for 4000 yards and 30 TDs.

I think it's an important point, but a double-edged sword. Continuity. Sure it's the same system for a second year, which is a huge sigh of relief. However, it's the same system with a handful of NEW guys. I'm fully behind Bradford, but there will be growing pains with all the n00bs on the roster. He's got Givens and Kendricks to lean on in the early going. Quick was raw and didn't see much time last year, sure Cook is a vet, but he's likely to have a bit of an adjustment phase.

I'm really looking forward to what this team can do, but I can also see a mass exodus of bandwagon jumpers if there's a bumpy start to the season. People might want to caution themselves that it might not be so sexy right out of the gate. But damn, it'll be fun come mid-season. And look out for that defense!
2nd year in same system for multiple players, not just SB..

Givens, Quick, Kendricks, Pettis, Pead, and Richardson.

Just Tavon as Slot Receiver has to step up to give our offense a huge leap in HP.

Bailey can fill in in spots while learning. Cook should have no problems, a still young veteran..
Just thinkin on it makes me smile
train

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Sam for the first time in his professional career an arsenal of WRs, consistency in the playbook and he will play his game, but more importantly he will win games for us.

Ok he's not elite as the press keep saying, he's not like Brady, Rodgers or Manning, but lets not forget that Rodgers was a backup for 3 seasons and his 5th season was his first winning season, Brady had a season and half behind Drew Bledsoe and Manning was 4years into his playing career before he had a winning season. The Rams are in a position similar to what the colts were after they got Manning - rebuild. You can't fix a football team in 1 offseason. Although Snead and Fisher seem to be going after this with an aggressive passion.

The only thing I'll say is haters will hate, doubters will doubt...

nighttrain

Legend
shaunpinney said:
Sam for the first time in his professional career an arsenal of WRs, consistency in the playbook and he will play his game, but more importantly he will win games for us.

Ok he's not elite as the press keep saying, he's not like Brady, Rodgers or Manning, but lets not forget that Rodgers was a backup for 3 seasons and his 5th season was his first winning season, Brady had a season and half behind Drew Bledsoe and Manning was 4years into his playing career before he had a winning season. The Rams are in a position similar to what the colts were after they got Manning - rebuild. You can't fix a football team in 1 offseason. Although Snead and Fisher seem to be going after this with an aggressive passion.

and Lovers will Love! About excuses, don't need none.
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO Bradford can put all the doubt from the naysayers aside by doing two things. Improving his accuracy and his performance in the red zone. Those two things are really the only flaws he has right now that anyone can harp on. We see enough of it to know he doesn't suck and that he has all the ability to be an excellent QB but he has to do it with greater consistency. Most of the chatter will die down if that happens.

If those two things get better and someone says "he locked onto the WR on that play" or "he isn't a fiery leader" then it'll be easy to say "yeah well, whatever, the Rams won" because it'll happen more often than not.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
nighttrain said:
shaunpinney said:

and Lovers will Love! About excuses, don't need none.
train

True :)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:
IMO Bradford can put all the doubt from the naysayers aside by doing two things. Improving his accuracy and his performance in the red zone. Those two things are really the only flaws he has right now that anyone can harp on. We see enough of it to know he doesn't suck and that he has all the ability to be an excellent QB but he has to do it with greater consistency. Most of the chatter will die down if that happens.

If those two things get better and someone says "he locked onto the WR on that play" or "he isn't a fiery leader" then it'll be easy to say "yeah well, whatever, the Rams won" because it'll happen more often than not.

As I mentioned in another post, we may have difficulty this year in playing in the redzone... Sam and the WRs will take it to the enzone from 50yds+ out :ww:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
shaunpinney said:
LesBaker said:

As I mentioned in another post, we may have difficulty this year in playing in the redzone... Sam and the WRs will take it to the enzone from 50yds+ out :ww:

I'll be loving that. I miss the big plays from back in the GSOT era and am looking forward to seeing lots of that kinda action.

I don't want to just see them win. I want to be wildly entertained. :boing:

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
moklerman said:
Yes, it's become far too common for Rams fans to argue about the QB and I, too, have seen the "no more excuses" mantra started already.

It has been disappointing to me that Rams fans aren't united in support and enthusiasm for Bradford. I mean, this isn't a Van Brocklin vs. Waterfield situation where there is a legitimate call for the other guy.

The Rams have a franchise guy who we should all be happy to have.

So, it's not "no more excuses" it's "Finally! They got Bradford some weapons."

For real. Sam isn't a problem.

The haters will just have to deal w/ it. Not like Sam's going anywhere (as in to another team).

You guys have to admit he should succeed this year since he has weapons.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
This is the year Bradford becomes a legit Fantasy fb starter. Top 12 by the end of the season.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, good debate and points brought up all through this thread.

To me though, it all comes down to one fact this season. That is the fact that Sam will be in the same O in consecutive seasons for the first time in the NFL. You can say he has never had weapons, (an insult to those who have played beside him) he has been in the wrong system (2011 is a good example), or he is the kind of guy that just needed to develop slow (In the NFL, that means his time for developing is over). But now, being in the same system will clarify things for everybody. This season, he either flourishes and becomes who we thought he could be and shut the naysayers up or he will struggle and a media ready to pounce will destroy him.

Circumstances kind of all line up at the end of the season for Sam and the Rams. The Rams still have two 1st rounders next year and Sam will be entering his contract year. Sam is lucky. He gets to write his own story this year!

I'm kinda thinking Sam lights it up this season and the media bandwagon will give him a ticker tape parade on the front page of SI.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
All I need to see is that we didn't so much as sniff a QB this year in either the draft OR FAs OR UDFAs. Snead and Fish have told me all I need to know about Sam by their actions. In addition I know what I have witnessed from him.

This whole topic bugs me. Sam will do well because our coaches and team will put him in a position to win and be successful. It's all there. We just need to exploit it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brand new top picks & UFA receivers & running backs has gotten all Ram fans riled up....It all starts up front....Sam has so many new toys so many to try out...but with a Sam Bradford @ QB its the OL. Rams OL like the new play toys brought in for Sam to play with but will he have time to run them & play them?

New Ram & starting OLT, new starting ORT who has never played ORT before in the NFL, new swing 3rd OT Joe Barksdale who is entering his third season, there is going to be a new starting OLG too since last years starter is in Nashville..we have no ideal which of the three former third day draft selections will win that free for all. Scott Wells who saw some late season action @ center is still rehabbing that knee. I have seen nothing from Wells that makes me happy I can see why they drafted center Barrett Jones in the 4th round now. Only real bonified returning starter who played most of the 2012 ram games & in the same post is Harvey Dahl who ended up on the IR last season. Rams do not have a seasoned blocking in line TE either. One injury to one of the tackles & our new starter is the same guy who started in the Patriots & Packer games and we all know how competitive the Rams were in those games with him starting @ OT.

Sam being the NFL model of a bonified pocket passer who needs a effective blocking OL could find an excuse if that OL continues to have injury and jelling issues. But am just a worry wart. :?!:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BonifayRam said:
Brand new top picks & UFA receivers & running backs has gotten all Ram fans riled up....It all starts up front....Sam has so many new toys so many to try out...but with a Sam Bradford @ QB its the OL. Rams OL like the new play toys brought in for Sam to play with but will he have time to run them & play them?

New Ram & starting OLT, new starting ORT who has never played ORT before in the NFL, new swing 3rd OT Joe Barksdale who is entering his third season, there is going to be a new starting OLG too since last years starter is in Nashville..we have no ideal which of the three former third day draft selections will win that free for all. Scott Wells who saw some late season action @ center is still rehabbing that knee. I have seen nothing from Wells that makes me happy I can see why they drafted center Barrett Jones in the 4th round now. Only real bonified returning starter who played most of the 2012 ram games & in the same post is Harvey Dahl who ended up on the IR last season. Rams do not have a seasoned blocking in line TE either. One injury to one of the tackles & our new starter is the same guy who started in the Patriots & Packer games and we all know how competitive the Rams were in those games with him starting @ OT.

Sam being the NFL model of a bonified pocket passer who needs a effective blocking OL could find an excuse if that OL continues to have injury and jelling issues. But am just a worry wart. :?!:

Geeze Bob Bummer. :sly:

Seriously though. All good points but I really think all in all, our O-line is in far better shape coming into this season and we have better depth.

But it's not like I'm neutral in all this. I come into practically every season thinking the glass is damn near full to the brim.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RamFan503 said:
BonifayRam said:

Geeze Bob Bummer. :sly:

Seriously though. All good points but I really think all in all, our O-line is in far better shape coming into this season and we have better depth.

But it's not like I'm neutral in all this. I come into practically every season thinking the glass is damn near full to the brim.

I'm definitely guilty of that! And the O line is of course key and the subject probably deserves its own thread. I'm hoping one of the UDFAs is a diamond and shores up the situation. I too think we are in better shape this year but I'd love to have that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing we got studs in the shadows just in case.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Our O-line this year is going to be solid (as long as we have no injuries) Saffold isn't going to let the side down, he's going to excel at the position. It'll raise his value at the end of the season...

LT: Jake Long (no. 2 - Saffold) (no.3 - Nsekhe)
LG: Rokevious Watkins (no. 2 - Smith)
C: Scott Wells (no. 2 - Jones) (no. 3 - Barnes)
RG: Harvey Dahl (no. 2 - Williams) (no. 3 - Washington)
RT: Roger Saffold (no. 3 - Barksdale)

Barrett Jones is also a player that can play the whole line, so I'm happier with our O-line this season than I have been for a long time...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
shaunpinney said:
Our O-line this year is going to be solid (as long as we have no injuries) Saffold isn't going to let the side down, he's going to excel at the position. It'll raise his value at the end of the season...

Barrett Jones is also a player that can play the whole line, so I'm happier with our O-line this season than I have been for a long time...

Out of those 12 you listed, which ones make the team? We won't keep 12, maybe 11 tops, more likely 10.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
shaunpinney said:

Almost no team is so fortunate. Our O line has not been able to pull this off in 10 years. I agree that if the OL health holds up, we should see much improvement. Also agree with your assessment of our line tbis season. Looks much better on paper than those of recent (and not so recent) memory.

Let me play Devils Advocate if I may. A lot on this board are what I would call Sammy Homers. I have no problem with that, and if I had to classify myself with regards to Bradford, I would say I am a huge Sammy Fan myself. HOWEVER......I DO see areas of his game that concern me. I DO see validity in some...I repeat SOME of the criticisms that are levied towards him. I will not bother to list them, as they have been discussed ad nauseam here and on other boards.

My question is this: IF the OL stays relatively healthy. IF the young WR corp can run good routes, and not display a major cases of the dropsies. IF the young RBs can hold their own both in the run and pass blocking game and IF Cook is the legitimate receiving threat we expect him to be, ......then WHAT IF Sam puts up similar stats, and more importantly, similar win totals?

Just curious as to how those who are so firmly behind Sam would think at that point. For me, wins are the only thing that counts. The fact is that with our schedule this year, we could be improved and still win the same or even LESS games. I understand that. I wonder though, at what point do you even have the (legit) QB1 conversation?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Faceplant said:
shaunpinney said:

Almost no team is so fortunate. Our O line has not been able to pull this off in 10 years. I agree that if the OL health holds up, we should see much improvement. Also agree with your assessment of our line tbis season. Looks much better on paper than those of recent (and not so recent) memory.

Let me play Devils Advocate if I may. A lot on this board are what I would call Sammy Homers. I have no problem with that, and if I had to classify myself with regards to Bradford, I would say I am a huge Sammy Fan myself. HOWEVER......I DO see areas of his game that concern me. I DO see validity in some...I repeat SOME of the criticisms that are levied towards him. I will not bother to list them, as they have been discussed ad nauseam here and on other boards.

My question is this: IF the OL stays relatively healthy. IF the young WR corp can run good routes, and not display a major cases of the dropsies. IF the young RBs can hold their own both in the run and pass blocking game and IF Cook is the legitimate receiving threat we expect him to be, ......then WHAT IF Sam puts up similar stats, and more importantly, similar win totals?

Just curious as to how those who are so firmly behind Sam would think at that point. For me, wins are the only thing that counts. The fact is that with our schedule this year, we could be improved and still win the same or even LESS games. I understand that. I wonder though, at what point do you even have the (legit) QB1 conversation?

i guess im a Sammy Homer then. one question for you. if Sams stats blow up this year and they still only win 8 games then what then? i know Sam needs to get better at some things but he has shown he IS getting better.