NFLPA tells agents to reject “inappropriate” language in Rams contracts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
lol, that's hilarious... Everyone is making it out like Stan is trying to rip off players, but they're actually trying to save them money. Good job, NFLPA, way to look out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol, that's hilarious... Everyone is making it out like Stan is trying to rip off players, but they're actually trying to save them money. Good job, NFLPA, way to look out.
Looks like Tom Smykowski was onto something.

office-space-jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams concede California law will apply to contracts after move is finalized
Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2016, 4:41 PM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...l-apply-to-contracts-after-move-is-finalized/

rams1-e1457901695888.jpg

Getty Images

The NFL Players Association has taken issuewith the apparent effort of the Los Angeles Rams to circumvent the California workers’ compensation system. In response, the Rams concede that, once the move is final, California law will apply regardless of the language of the contract.

Via Rich Hammond of the Orange County Register, the Rams have responded to Saturday’s PFT report regarding the NFLPA’s objection to contractual language selecting Missouri as the forum of choice by admitting that “once the team officially has moved out of Missouri, all of its contracts automatically will fall under California law.” Hammond adds that Rams executives have said the team intends to completely move out of its Missouri headquarters before March 31.

Meanwhile, Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News suggests that the Rams made the contracts subject to Missouri law through the official consummation of the move before the end of March in order to ensure that any players who sign new contracts before the move happens will pay Missouri state income tax, not California state income tax, at a difference of seven percent savings in favor of the player.

If that’s the case, the move actually represents one last gift to the state of Missouri, via the taxes collected on money paid to players while the team is still technically headquartered in the state. If that’s the case, maybe improved communication between the Rams and the NFLPA could have helped this issue from becoming a thing.

---------------------------------

So I guess that's a retraction from Florio? Sorta? No, not really.
Because he didn't take this back.

Here’s the bottom line. If you move to California, you accept everything that goes along with it. And if there’s something about it you don’t like, don’t move there.
:rolleyes:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Rams concede that CA law will apply after the move? Rams made an effort to circumnavigate workers comp law?

Fuck off, Florio, your sources were shit, your reporting is shit, and you were wrong. Here's your article minus your petty bullshit:

Rams clarify California law will apply to contracts after move is finalized
Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2016, 4:41 PM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...l-apply-to-contracts-after-move-is-finalized/

rams1-e1457901695888.jpg

Getty Images

The NFL Players Association had reportedly taken issue with what was ultimately an incorrect assumption that the Los Angeles Rams were trying to circumvent the California workers’ compensation system. In response, the Rams clarified that, once the move is final, California law will apply regardless of the language of the contract.

Via Rich Hammond of the Orange County Register, the Rams have responded to Saturday’s PFT report regarding the NFLPA’s objection to contractual language selecting Missouri as the forum of choice by admitting that “once the team officially has moved out of Missouri, all of its contracts automatically will fall under California law.” Hammond adds that Rams executives have said the team intends to completely move out of its Missouri headquarters before March 31.

Meanwhile, Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News reported that the Rams made the contracts subject to Missouri law through the official consummation of the move before the end of March in order to ensure that any players who sign new contracts before the move happens will pay Missouri state income tax, not California state income tax, at a difference of seven percent savings in favor of the player.

The move actually represents one last gift to the state of Missouri, via the taxes collected on money paid to players while the team is still technically headquartered in the state. Rather than make a sweeping statement the NFLPA should have contacted the Rams in order to fully understand the contracts and when exactly the Rams were moving.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's also very funny that Florio wrote this being a former lawyer. He should know very well that regardless of what a contract says if you make money while working in a state you're subject to that states tax and payroll laws. This whole article is foolish.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nah, my contract was prepared by one construction firm with one person working on it. It had everything I needed in terms of construction language, indemnification, recitals, corporate information, representation, insurance, performance, etc. I used the same set for work with small apartment buildings to multi-million dollar high-rises. The only thing that ever changed on it was the last two pages (payment structure and signatures) and the scope of work which was always attached as "Exhibit A". Usually that stuff never *has* to change. Of course I don't know if the Rams are doing that too, but it seems to me that the language in the contract I saw in the OP was boiler plate also.

Neither of us probably care, but it's something to talk about during the off-season.

Thanks, Florio, for doing what you do, and doing it how you do it. :LOL:

I love me a good recital!!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
[
QUOTE="ReddingRam, post: 720297, member: 308"]love it up there. I'm in Redding[/QUOTE

I have an uncle in Redding...I like that area...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The NFL Players Association has taken issue with the apparent effort what they seemed to indicate the Los Angeles Rams were trying to pull in circumventing the California workers’ compensation system. In response, the Rams concede that I am a complete idiot and am just trying to stir up shit, once the move is final, California law will apply regardless of the language of the contract as any idiot should know - even a former attorney that couldn't hack it.
FIFY Florio you little DNA rifle sucker.