NFLPA tells agents to reject “inappropriate” language in Rams contracts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's not easy to find out what name they're operating under, but as of the end of the last fiscal year (2015), and according to Bloomberg.com, the name is still St. Louis Rams, LLC. Key executives are Snead, Demoff and Fisher. There's also The Rams Football Company Inc, and they operate out of the same office as St Louis Rams LLC (One Rams Way, St Louis MO). So it doesn't appear as though they've established a headquarters in CA yet. And if that's the case; then again, this whole thing is a non-issue.

I think they said they had the end of March/Early April as a target date for officially setting up shop in LA, sometime around then they need to be out of Rams park because the lease ends.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think they said they had the end of March/Early April as a target date for officially setting up shop in LA, sometime around then they need to be out of Rams park because the lease ends.
Sounds good to me. So all of their contracts are still being negotiated under their St Louis Corporation; and if so, there's nothing wrong with their contract. Hell, they can absolutely insert an addenda into it later after they officially move their offices. I don't think Florio even entertained the idea that it's not only feasible, but probably in their plans.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am more concerned about player personnel, big surprise a large corporation is assuming in their favor. ugh news flash!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see what's so sinister that some people are claiming about this. Working on many many contracts with my job this is a simple fact of a contract being partially a form letter with just the details to be filled in later. Said letter hasn't been updated by the legal department or the Rams haven't legally moved head quarters to California yet. Remember when this all happened Snead said the draft would be conducted in St Louis at Earth City. Unless that time line has been moved up this is a huge non issue. But the we should have known this when reading who the article was written by. A lawyer who hates Fisher and any team he's a part of.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Sounds good to me. So all of their contracts are still being negotiated under their St Louis Corporation; and if so, there's nothing wrong with their contract. Hell, they can absolutely insert an addenda into it later after they officially move their offices. I don't think Florio even entertained the idea that it's not only feasible, but probably in their plans.

Is the theory here that Florio found one of these contracts and raised the question himself? It seems much more likely that the NFLPA is the one who raised an objection - probably not a major stink but an objection - and Florio saw a way to sensationalize things a bit and stir things up.

Still, the NFLPA isn't trying to stir the pot, there is a real legal objection to this - and there should be. If the Rams were planning on changing it later - why add an addenda? They could just make it an outright clause in the contract now - no addenda required - its not like they 'might' move to LA - its a certainty. Governing law is a choice that is bargained for in employment contracts. The Rams lawyers are drawing up contracts that are as much in their favor as they possibly can be - as good lawyers should - and the NFLPA is trying to bargain for contracts as much in the players favor as they can be - again, as good lawyers should.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
One thing is clear in this though, this Rams organization (Stan) isn't looking good on this. How greedy does he need to be? Just another example of why they are no longer my team.

:coach:"We know you are in there! Please release Alan and let him walk out of your compound unharmed!...Oh and stop forcing him to view ROD on your computer. And posting stuff! The Rams are no longer his team!":wabbit:
:palm:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
He is here for us - and as far as I am concerned - should be welcome.

This whole thing has been hard - give everyone time to process it and don't push anyone away, please.

Nice 12. I can respect that. And Alan, you as well. We California guys can identify with the loss and, all previous kidding aside, don't want to push anyone away.

I do concur with @RamFan503 that this story is all about nothing. It Is wise business practice, and actually very impressive.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I am more concerned about player personnel, big surprise a large corporation is assuming in their favor. ugh news flash!

That is how large corporations survive, and thrive in this competitive economy. Small businesses too. At another level.

It is actually something that should be celebrated. Not attacked. Our franchise is more profitable because of prudent choices. Our franchise is then healthier to make choices that move us toward successs. Then it positively affects the players. The fans. Win-win...

Wait. They teach this stuff in Government schools, right?

(n) (Maybe that explains Bernie...)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd have to read that article again but it seemed to be some kind of unofficial LA Rams office maintained by Shaw over all this time. I don't believe it actually has any ties to the current Rams. At least I sure as hell hope not. Just the mention of that man's name makes my blood boil.
I believe you are correct, in your assumption that Shaw's "Rams Office" is an un-Official one. At least that's the way I remember the Article!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams lawyers are drawing up contracts that are as much in their favor as they possibly can be
Do we know that? Could be the same contract since 1995 (template) and all they do is add in the salary breakdown as a separate page. I had a 30 page contract I used for 8 years that never changed except for the last page which contained the payment terms and signature lines.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Do we know that? Could be the same contract since 1995 (template) and all they do is add in the salary breakdown as a separate page. I had a 30 page contract I used for 8 years that never changed except for the last page which contained the payment terms and signature lines.

No, we don't KNOW that - but, respectfully, was the employment contract you used individually prepared contract by contract by armies of lawyers? Would the Rams really use the same contract language year after year or would they have each contract adjust to the current CBA, tax code, statutory authority, etc?

This is where lawyers make their money - staying on top of the small advantages - not just once but constantly re-evaluating the legal landscape.

Again, I don't see it as evil or vindictive - but I do see it as more than likely intentional.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No, we don't KNOW that - but, respectfully, was the employment contract you used individually prepared contract by contract by armies of lawyers? Would the Rams really use the same contract language year after year or would they have each contract adjust to the current CBA, tax code, statutory authority, etc?
Nah, my contract was prepared by one construction firm with one person working on it. It had everything I needed in terms of construction language, indemnification, recitals, corporate information, representation, insurance, performance, etc. I used the same set for work with small apartment buildings to multi-million dollar high-rises. The only thing that ever changed on it was the last two pages (payment structure and signatures) and the scope of work which was always attached as "Exhibit A". Usually that stuff never *has* to change. Of course I don't know if the Rams are doing that too, but it seems to me that the language in the contract I saw in the OP was boiler plate also.

Neither of us probably care, but it's something to talk about during the off-season.

Thanks, Florio, for doing what you do, and doing it how you do it. :LOL:

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
That's the $60,000 question.

I would imagine when they filed their corporate change of address.
Do they even have an office in California yet? I mean, a permanent one?

Yes, as a matter of fact, yes they do. Two of them actually and they were in place prior to being allowed to relocate to sunny SoCal.

One is on Pico Blvd in Century City. It is a hold over from their previous LA occupation. The other? Would you believe in Santa Ana, CA. About 35 miles south of the Coliseum. This office was established about two years ago and after seeing Kevin D. presentation at Harvard-Westlake, it all starts to come together.

How do I know of the Santa Ana location? Well I posted about it's location in a somewhat cryptic message when that thread about the Rams moving to LA was gathering steam a couple of years ago, before the mods had to clamp down on it due to the sensitive nature of the discussion. You see, I work for a major telecommunications/entertainment company. Been with them over 36 years. My crew that I manage had the order to install the optical fiber network for the location. The business name on the order? St. Louis Rams Football Club, Jeff Brewer local contact. He is the Rams treasure.

So yes, they do have and have had a brick and mortar office in California for some time now.

So let the debate rage with this new found intelligence about the legality of this contract language. I'll let you all have at it. Me? I want to know when I can get my season tickets. This stuff is way beyond my control or even my paygrade.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes, as a matter of fact, yes they do. Two of them actually and they were in place prior to being allowed to relocate to sunny SoCal.

One is on Pico Blvd in Century City. It is a hold over from their previous LA occupation. The other? Would you believe in Santa Ana, CA. About 35 miles south of the Coliseum. This office was established about two years ago and after seeing Kevin D. presentation at Harvard-Westlake, it all starts to come together.

How do I know of the Santa Ana location? Well I posted about it's location in a somewhat cryptic message when that thread about the Rams moving to LA was gathering steam a couple of years ago, before the mods had to clamp down on it due to the sensitive nature of the discussion. You see, I work for a major telecommunications/entertainment company. Been with them over 36 years. My crew that I manage had the order to install the optical fiber network for the location. The business name on the order? St. Louis Rams Football Club, Jeff Brewer local contact. He is the Rams treasure.

So yes, they do have and have had a brick and mortar office in California for some time now.

So let the debate rage with this new found intelligence about the legality of this contract language. I'll let you all have at it. Me? I want to know when I can get my season tickets. This stuff is way beyond my control or even my paygrade.
Wow, great stuff. Thanks. I kinda zeroed in on the business name you supplied. I wonder if that's changed, because I've seen a business listing for "The Rams Football Company, Inc" on Mantra, and they're also (or still) based in St Louis. So while they may have headquartered, I don't think they've filed a change of address yet. In which case, blah blah blah my point remains, blah blah blah. That said, there's a minute possibility that they haven't filed because they want to take advantage of Missouri law for as long as they can. And to bring it home, players can always (ALWAYS) have their contract revised to reflect a change of venue.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I believe you are correct, in your assumption that Shaw's "Rams Office" is an un-Official one. At least that's the way I remember the Article!!

Does Shaw still work for the Rams in an official capacity ?? I thought he was totally out of the picture now...

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well one thing that seems to debunk all this for me is .... these same agents haven't stopped the players that are resigning with the Rams from doing so ..... think about it for a sec .....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well one thing that seems to debunk all this for me is .... these same agents haven't stopped the players that are resigning with the Rams from doing so ..... think about it for a sec .....
That's a good point. A contract has to get vetted by the signee. If these players are just signing contracts without having them reviewed, then they're a collection of idiots. Similarly, if these players are signing contracts vetted by attorneys, and the attorneys are missing this clause, then they're also a collection of idiots (insert obv joke here).

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
IF the contracts were "dirty" or "illegal", I am sure the NFL would step in and stop it because ... ALL contracts have to go through the NFL office and be "approved" before they are considered "final". That would then open up the possibility of the NFL also being found at risk of legal recourse.

I'm just saying .. .this all smells of much ado about nothin' ....