NFL is Fixed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The thing about this is it was actually announced by the referee as a penalty... and then the flag was picked up.

It was such a blatant foul...what could have possibly made the official over rule the call? Dez sprints onto the field to argue with no helmet on, an automatic 15 yarder.

The offensive holding non calls (by Dallas) wasn't much different than we're used to seeing here, usually involving Robert Quinn.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I have a very hard time chalking this picked up flag to mere incompetence. This was far too deliberate.

There was clearly PI on the play. They had announced the penalty. marked it off, and the teams were lining up for the next play. Without any explanation, all of the sudden it's fourth down and Detroit has to punt. That takes a bit more deliberation than mere incompetence can explain.

And to those who are saying that Pettigrew committed offensive PI (I didn't see it), the Dallas defender was clearly grabbing his jersey. So even if your theory is correct, it should have then been offsetting penalties and a replay of 3rd down.

I don't know what the explanation is. But I know what it isn't - it isn't incompetence.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The same ref will be back calling games again. The NFL has no standards for keeping the game clean and fairly officiated. It's their fault these kinds of calls decide outcomes because they don't do anything after the fact.
Officiating is an after thought and not something they want to invest in it seems.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
First off I hate the new rules implemented that make it virtually impossible to defend the pass. Second I hate that the Rams don't try to take advantage of those rules.

In relationship to the flag that was picked up in the game tonight. The offensive player extended his arm to get separation and then pulled the defensive player into his body to create the contact. I admit they usually call interference on that and I would like to have heard an explanation from the ref regarding the picked up flag.

The defensive player was trailing the play, never turned to look for the ball but did not initiate contact, the ball hit him in the back and fell incomplete. He did not play it well but I do not believe the offensive team should be rewarded for that play.

The Lions had the ball back with enough time and time outs that gave them plenty of time to score and win the game. There were no penalties that stopped that drive, in fact they moved in to Dallas territory. The defense stepped up and closed it out.

I am in agreement with you that this shouldn't be PI. Plays like this should be allowed in the game, but I do know that they are normally called. I also know that the general rule is that you have to play the ball not the player. I think that is the sole reason that this should have been called PI. I am definitely curious as to why they picked it up.

I don't think the game is fixed though. I just think alot of bad calls happen. As everyone points out, bad calls happen to every team.

Athos

Legend
This moves me one gigantic step towards just saying fuck the NFL entirely and quit watching.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ditto. IF there was a fix in place, I find it hard to believe they would do so in such an obvious occurrence. It would be much easier to call/not call interior line 'stuff' that could have just as much impact, but be much less arguable. Somebody would have had to have serious leverage on me to get me to 'fix' this one.
Refs get paid $180K per year for a part-time gig. Are you seriously trying to argue that that is NOT leverage... or an incentive?
In 2014-2015, the referees earn an average of $10,500 per game (regular season, pre-season and playoff), which works out to $180,000 per year
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/how-much-does/nfl-referee-salary/

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
All due respect here my friend, I hate that logic. If the correct call had been made, the Lions would not have been scrambling with a 2 minute offense. I believe that had they got close to scoring, the ref's would have found a way to call a holding penalty to thwart Detroit. The Ref's, and perhaps the league decided to reward the Cowboys once again. It was truly a shameful moment for the NFL. A stand needs to be taken now, because the next time "America's Team" steamrolls the rules it may hurt our Rams. Oh wait, it already did.
A stand needs to be taken, really what would you suggest?

FWIW I hate the Cowboys second most behind the Niners but I still think the right call was no call all along.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I have a very hard time chalking this picked up flag to mere incompetence. This was far too deliberate.

There was clearly PI on the play. They had announced the penalty. marked it off, and the teams were lining up for the next play. Without any explanation, all of the sudden it's fourth down and Detroit has to punt. That takes a bit more deliberation than mere incompetence can explain.

And to those who are saying that Pettigrew committed offensive PI (I didn't see it), the Dallas defender was clearly grabbing his jersey. So even if your theory is correct, it should have then been offsetting penalties and a replay of 3rd down.

I don't know what the explanation is. But I know what it isn't - it isn't incompetence.
After watching professional football for almost 45years, I don't think I've ever seen such a blatant reversal of such an obvious penalty.

I mean, what level of evidence do people need to see that this $10B Multi-national Entertainment corporation "adjusts" is product?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I've been saying this for years. The cheatriots won right after 9/11, what a great story line. And the shehawks got SCREWED against the stealers in their first SB, which I laughed at because it was so obvious, and it was the hawks on the receiving end of it.
It's all about the story lines, and the amount of money each team brings in.

Debacled

Starter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf57TGvh_nI

Say what you guys want and I might be in the minority here, but that was not PI. If anything Pettigrew could have been called for a facemask on the play. The defender stuck his hands up as Pettigrew turned and starting to fall to show he hadn't made contact and the ball went off his shoulder.

Hate physics all you want, you cant make a break back to the ball if you don't plant your feet and try to do something other than fall down.

I said it in another thread, but the exact thing happened in one of the Rams games earlier this year, but I can't quite remember the game. It was down the right sideline and a flag came out for face guarding/PI. They called it no penalty because the defender didn't impede the receivers path back to the ball (just as in this play the receiver never broke back towards the line of scrimmage, just fell backwards).

The lack of explanation was odd though

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
upload_2015-1-4_19-30-48.jpeg

This picture shows Pettigrew's arm extended and holding the face mask of the defender with the ball in the air. OPI???

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
If the right call was no call, why throw the flag? There is no doubt after review that there was a clear PI, and they picked up the flag. Why? Why didn't they flag Bryant after he dashed out on the field without a helmet to cry about the call?

Until tonight I never believed the NFL was fixed. After tonight, I have to ask you what more proof do you need that it is?

Debacled

Starter
If the right call was no call, why throw the flag? There is no doubt after review that there was a clear PI, and they picked up the flag. Why? Why didn't they flag Bryant after he dashed out on the field without a helmet to cry about the call?

Until tonight I never believed the NFL was fixed. After tonight, I have to ask you what more proof do you need that it is?
Ever see the Refs conference? Happens all the time. As I said before, the exact same thing happened in a Rams game this year, against the Rams

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf57TGvh_nI

Say what you guys want and I might be in the minority here, but that was not PI. If anything Pettigrew could have been called for a facemask on the play. The defender stuck his hands up as Pettigrew turned and starting to fall to show he hadn't made contact and the ball went off his shoulder.

Hate physics all you want, you cant make a break back to the ball if you don't plant your feet and try to do something other than fall down.

I said it in another thread, but the exact thing happened in one of the Rams games earlier this year, but I can't quite remember the game. It was down the right sideline and a flag came out for face guarding/PI. They called it no penalty because the defender didn't impede the receivers path back to the ball (just as in this play the receiver never broke back towards the line of scrimmage, just fell backwards).

The lack of explanation was odd though

I can see what you mean by the facemask, but the defender still initiated contact with the receiver before the ball got there, that part was clearly textbook PI. So at best, it should have been offsetting penalties, replay the down.

And that explanation does nothing to tell us why Detroit didn't get an automatic 1st down on an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after Dez ran onto the field without a helmet.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure what that means. Lol

I just really only care about going to the games because I love the Rams. I use to watch 10.5 hours of football every Sunday, now I'm just gonna watch the Rams like they're the only team that exists. It's all I can bear and I got other things to focus on.