NFC exec: 'Spoiled' Clowney 'never worked hard a day in his life'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, however being raw is one thing, having a poor work ethic is another.

Also, I think Merlin was stating that being a freak athlete came from good luck and genes.

Being raw is the effect. Having a poor work ethic can be one of the causes...or it could not be. In Clowney's case, a lot of people just assume...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Probably a a scout that doesn't want the one NFC team that might have a chance to draft him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Or a bust. Williams benching Clowney time and again could turn into an escalation of egos where no one would win. Don't get me wrong, he's an enticing prospect, but I just have to admit that I don't see him working out for the Rams.

Line him up at tackle and I think teams would make us look silly running it up the middle against him. At OLB, I just see him having trouble pushing even Dunbar for the SLB role which is something that I think they want to get away from in favor of versatility anyway.

That said, if the Rams pick him he'd be my new favorite project to follow and in a year, all egos held in check he'd be starting somewhere in the front seven for sure.

I will say this for him though, if the right team takes him, regardless of technique or work ethic he'll be starting and successful year one.

Why would they run at Clowney and make him look silly? Dude is good against the run and has solid tackling technique.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

I thought so. I just wanted to be sure.

Look, it's obvious you're a big Clowney fan. I get it.
I'm just not sure why you're trying to argue that his ability to pack on muscle mass isn't a genetic trait.
Do you really believe that he'd be a skinny guy without weights?

His natural athleticism is the one thing nobody can argue about. So why are we having this conversation?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought so. I just wanted to be sure.

Look, it's obvious you're a big Clowney fan. I get it.
I'm just not sure why you're trying to argue that his ability to pack on muscle mass isn't a genetic trait.
Do you really believe that he'd be a skinny guy without weights?

His natural athleticism is the one thing nobody can argue about. So why are we having this conversation?

I am a big Aaron Donald fan too. Has nothing to do with where I go to school. So lets not make it out to be a bias thing.

Yes. I believe if Clowney didn't lift weights, he would be nowhere near as big or strong.

Putting on muscle mass more easily is a trait...but you still have to work to do it.

No idea why we're having this conversation. I just thought it was worth pointing out that Clowney did have to do some work for what he is.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quick question, do you go to South Carolina?
Jrry actually hand stitched together a brand new Jock Strap every game Clowney played for the GameCocks. I think He would is justified in defending Clowney if you ask me....

iced

I am a big Aaron Donald fan too. Has nothing to do with where I go to school. So lets not make it out to be a bias thing.

Yes. I believe if Clowney didn't lift weights, he would be nowhere near as big or strong.

Putting on muscle mass more easily is a trait...but you still have to work to do it.

No idea why we're having this conversation. I just thought it was worth pointing out that Clowney did have to do some work for what he is.

That's non-sense! No one works at becoming muscular, it's just natural! like a fast metabolism!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

I'm not really sure why going to South Carolina would impact your being a fan of Aaron Donald.

So "some" work is the same thing as "hard" work?

I'm not particularly enjoying this exchange anymore, not that I really was in the first place.
It seems like it's very important to you "win" a discussion when someone doesn't agree with your position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry actually hand stitched together a brand new Jock Strap every game Clowney played for the GameCocks. I think He would is justified in defending Clowney if you ask me....

Jrry has criticized as many Gamecock prospects in the last few years as he's praised. Jrry may think highly of Clowney but it ain't because he's Gamecock. Just like Jrry thinking highly of Aaron Donald ain't because he's a Pitt Panther. Jrry thinking highly of Jake Matthews ain't because he's an Aggie. But hey, Jrry will take getting called a Clowney "lover" because in the end, Jrry feels quite confident that his opinion will be the right one. :whistle:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jrry has criticized as many Gamecock prospects in the last few years as he's praised. Jrry may think highly of Clowney but it ain't because he's Gamecock. Just like Jrry thinking highly of Aaron Donald ain't because he's a Pitt Panther. Jrry thinking highly of Jake Matthews ain't because he's an Aggie. But hey, Jrry will take getting called a Clowney "lover" because in the end, Jrry feels quite confident that his opinion will be the right one. :whistle:
Jrry sounds a lot like Jimmy now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not really sure why going to South Carolina would impact your being a fan of Aaron Donald.

That's the point being made. My opinion of Clowney is purely based on evaluation. It has nothing to do with where he goes to school. Trying to play the bias card is the wrong way to go here.

So "some" work is the same thing as "hard" work?

I don't pretend to know. I don't assume to know about what a guy is or isn't. I go off of what the game film tells me and that's it. If he's lazy on the field, I knock him for it. But I can't knock him for being lazy off of it because I don't know. None of us do.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the point being made. My opinion of Clowney is purely based on evaluation. It has nothing to do with where he goes to school. Trying to play the bias card is the wrong way to go here.

I don't pretend to know. I don't assume to know about what a guy is or isn't. I go off of what the game film tells me and that's it. If he's lazy on the field, I knock him for it. But I can't knock him for being lazy off of it because I don't know. None of us do.
How long has Jrry been a scout for the NFL for?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
The way I look at it is like looking at Chris Long vs Robert Quinn. I like Chris, I think he's a hell of a player but I also think he has reached his ceiling. No matter how hard he works I don't see him being able to get better.
The Mighty Quinn on the other hand still appears to have a frame that can carry more weight, so he can get stronger and better even though he's already an elite athlete.
Clowney can improve, I don't think anyone here would argue that he can't. If placed on a team like ours he could conceivably be better than Quinn sometime in the future. If he had already peaked I don't see an argument for drafting the kid, but clearly he hasn't.
These "anonymous" sources get on my damn nerves. Have the balls to put your name on it if you're gonna talk shit about someone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice, So Jrry Kiper. Jr. when are you reuniteting with your long lost brother? You can spend time combing each others hair :jerkoff:

More like Jerry Snead. We're very close, me and my brother.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Being raw is the effect. Having a poor work ethic can be one of the causes...or it could not be. In Clowney's case, a lot of people just assume...

Being raw IS an effect. Sometimes from work ethic, sometimes from other reasons.
But they are not mutually exclusive. You can have both, neither, or one without the other.
Lots of variables.