NFC exec: 'Spoiled' Clowney 'never worked hard a day in his life'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Former South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney alleviated some concerns about his work ethic by showing up to his pro day earlier this month in the best shape of any of the defensive linemen.
Apparently at least one NFC scouting director is convinced Clowney won't be giving the effort necessary to succeed in the NFL, though. He described Clowney as "spoiled" and "lazy," according to an nj.com report.
"He's never worked hard a day in his life, now all of a sudden you're going to give him a bunch of money and expect him to work hard. I don't see it," he said, per the report.

Despite the continued critiques of Clowney's motor, the Houston Texans might make him the No. 1 overall pick at next month's draft. Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said after Clowney's pro day that he had "absolutely" no concerns about his work ethic, and, even if Houston does pass on him, NFL Media analyst Charles Davis has said he doesn't see Clowney being drafted any lower than No. 3 overall to the Jaguars.

0ap2000000331109.jpg

The NFC scouting director agreed that Clowney will be picked early, but he also indicated drafting the star player will be a decision the team that drafts him will regret.
"Oh, he's going to be a high pick," he said, according to the report. "Some team will fall in love with him. But wait and see, just wait and see. I just don't think you can count on him.
"I'm betting the under on him."
Maybe this scouting director works for the Rams, who hosted Clowney on a visit Friday, and this is his way of trying to dissuade the Texans from taking Clowney so he falls to St. Louis, which holds the No. 2 overall pick. We don't know what "the under" is on Clowney, but we suspect plenty of NFL teams would be willing to take him up on that bet and gamble on Clowney's potential greatness.
An NFC scout was quoted as saying in the same nj.com story that Clowney is "going to be a top pick and he's going to be worth it."

jjab360

Legend
That's bullshit, imo. Nevermind that the effort given on the field doesn't corroborate his opinion, people don't just become freakish athletes like Clowney is through luck and good genes.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's bullshit!! I wake up in the morning and piss excellence :mustache:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's one take. I'm sure there are many more quite different takes on the same player.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
That's bullcrap, imo. Nevermind that the effort given on the field doesn't corroborate his opinion, people don't just become freakish athletes like Clowney is through luck and good genes.

Being a freakish athlete actually does come from good luck and genes.

Athletic skill comes from hard work. There are "experts" who love Clowney but still have issues about some of the technical aspects of his game.

That being said, this just seems like somebody trying put doubt in other people's heads as the draft approaches.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being a freakish athlete actually does come from good luck and genes.

Athletic skill comes from hard work. There are "experts" who love Clowney but still have issues about some of the technical aspects of his game.

That being said, this just seems like somebody trying put doubt in other people's heads as the draft approaches.

Athletic skills also come from coaching, to be fair. Robert Quinn was more raw than Clowney was coming out. I don't think anyone would question his work ethic.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's bullcrap, imo. Nevermind that the effort given on the field doesn't corroborate his opinion, people don't just become freakish athletes like Clowney is through luck and good genes.

Nobody can turn themselves into Clowney. It is mostly luck and good genes. There are a lot of great college athletes that excel and never really had to work hard to do so and then they flop once they get to the Big Show. Lots of them. Vernon Gholston was one. Jimmy Kennedy was one.

Some people favor the guys that had to work hard their whole lives to get where they want to be. Guys who can take it easy are a gamble. I think Clowney is a bit of a Prima Donna. He had his ass kissed his whole life. He was the number 1 recruit in the country out of high school. Big time colleges were begging him to play with them.

I have a friend that never lifted a day in his life and in his younger years that guy was jacked. Everyone figured he worked out all of the time but he didn't need to. He was too lazy to and just wanted to drink beer. Needless to say now he just looks like a guy that drank beer all of this life but in his 20s he had an enviable physique. It happens.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think that the 'lazy' tag is quite possibly true. It's why i said on another post that he has the furthest to fall, he will be a marked man in the NFL and will have to lift his game to succeed. Something about him reminds me of Justin Blackmon, don't know what it is, it's just a feeling...

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Athletic skills also come from coaching, to be fair. Robert Quinn was more raw than Clowney was coming out. I don't think anyone would question his work ethic.

Agreed about coaching, but working hard generally goes hand in hand with that.

I don't really want to have a discussion about wether Clowney is "lazy" or not, because we've all got our opinions and they probably won't change at this point. There's not much to be gained by hashing it out again.

My main point was that he didn't get big and fast by working really hard, he was born with those traits.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I seriously, seriously doubt that Clowney would "dog it" on a defense with Chris Long while being coached by Greg Williams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I seriously, seriously doubt that Clowney would "dog it" on a defense with Chris Long while being coached by Greg Williams.

That's the way I have been thinking for some time now...IMO Guys like JC needs to have that strong push from close peer cadre to keep him from going soft & taking some plays off....Rams DL is no place for slackers....if you think you are the best at what you do as a rookie...well prepare to have your feelings or your big ego held in check...yes maybe hurt when you get into Ram camp Jadeveon!

Just think JC will not even start here...& I am sure smart veteran DE William Hayes does not want to give up his #3 Ram DE status to a big headed talented rookie...so this could really be a ton of fun...so much to learn for a rookie.....We have seen glimpses into the very close friendship in this DL has with each other led by Chris long & William Hayes....JC well ......these players will not let JC dog it without some serious ragging.

To me this would be a perfect place for a player like JC to come in & learn & compete & help build that big Ram wave that is coming. JC will have to earn the opportunity to lead this nasty talented wave riders.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That's the way I have been thinking for some time now...IMO Guys like JC needs to have that strong push from close peer cadre to keep him from going soft & taking some plays off....Rams DL is no place for slackers....if you think you are the best at what you do as a rookie...well prepare to have your feelings or your big ego held in check...yes maybe hurt when you get into Ram camp Jadeveon!

Just think JC will not even start here...& I am sure smart veteran DE William Hayes does not want to give up his #3 Ram DE status to a big headed talented rookie...so this could really be a ton of fun...so much to learn for a rookie.....We have seen glimpses into the very close friendship in this DL has with each other led by Chris long & William Hayes....JC well ......these players will not let JC dog it without some serious ragging.

To me this would be a perfect place for a player like JC to come in & learn & compete & help build that big Ram wave that is coming. JC will have to earn the opportunity to lead this nasty talented wave riders.

I agree. We have two of the highest motor, hardest working defensive lines in the league. They will teach Clowney the real way to play the game. Add in Williams who, himself, said has no problem benching ANYONE, and you have the best recipe for success.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Or a bust. Williams benching Clowney time and again could turn into an escalation of egos where no one would win. Don't get me wrong, he's an enticing prospect, but I just have to admit that I don't see him working out for the Rams.

Line him up at tackle and I think teams would make us look silly running it up the middle against him. At OLB, I just see him having trouble pushing even Dunbar for the SLB role which is something that I think they want to get away from in favor of versatility anyway.

That said, if the Rams pick him he'd be my new favorite project to follow and in a year, all egos held in check he'd be starting somewhere in the front seven for sure.

I will say this for him though, if the right team takes him, regardless of technique or work ethic he'll be starting and successful year one.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

True, however being raw is one thing, having a poor work ethic is another.

Also, I think Merlin was stating that being a freak athlete came from good luck and genes.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He can't be that lazy if he showed up in better shape than the rest of the guys at his same position.

By the way, I think Snead wrote this article so Clowney would fall to 2.
How great of a player are you, when you fall all the way down to 2.

iced

Clowney has never worked hard in his life - he just replicated Captain America's serum and wa-la!, Super Football Player!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My main point was that he didn't get big and fast by working really hard, he was born with those traits.

That's not really true. He might have been born tall and fast...but he didn't get as big and strong as he is without working at it.