GAME DAY NFC Championship - Lions at 49’ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
the lion king disney GIF

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Lions offense put up 31 and likely 40 if not for critical drops.

Lions need some Defensive help though. Pretty much in the same boat we are in.

Shut out in the second half until garbage time to make 31.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Great game from Goff. I feel bad for him, but not for those dirty cheap-short artists the Detroit Lions.

Maybe I will eat these words, but I am not even remotely worried that the 49ers wil beat the Chiefs. With how bad the 49ers have looked lately, I can't see any universe where Brock Purdy and that playoff choker Shanahan manage to beat Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid. Especially with Moody being so shaky, with the Chiefs getting to trot out the super-reliable Butker. It's going to be hilarious watching that team 49ers fall just short yet again. San Francisco = a choke-artist franchise that just happened to be lucky enough to meet an even bigger one in the Lions which let them come back to win. The Lions would have choked away their playoff run to the Rams already, to a vintage Matthew Stafford come back win and clutch performance in a big game, but for the refs screwing us.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No big takeaways from this game for me.
Lions going for it on 4th? It's who they are.. nothing wrong with it. Reynolds dropped the ball. If he makes the catch does that make Campbell a genius? Nope.. but it's how they approach the game.
Goff is good enough to win if everything around him is top-notch. If Reynolds makes the 2 catches.. what's the outcome? Does that mean Goff would've been "better" all of a sudden? Of course not. Same guy he was here.. a little more experienced. He has a stacked offense and it uses his strengths well.

Rookie RB fumbles a ball.. if he doesn't? How does this look?

In short... the difference wasn't any big philosophical story... the niners executed better.. and won.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Not only was Campbell criminally bad but how terrible was Johnson's offense in the 2nd half? Good luck to whoever puts him in charge of their offense.
The Rams completely shut the Lions down in the 2nd half as well. The Lions seem great scripted. Not so much as the game goes on.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, I was screaming at the TV for Campbell to kick the field goal. It's not about points. It's about how many possessions the 49ers have to get in order to be in scoring position. Well into the second half with a 14 point lead, you have to kick it!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'd move him higher than that. The Lions needed a passionate leader on the field and Goff has never really been that guy. I can never forget Stafford telling his offense in that last series vs Brady and the Bucs, "Let's go fucking win this!." Soon after was the Love of the Game route to Kupp.
The lengths some will go to..... "they needed a paasionate leader'?

They needed an intelligent leader with minimal math skills.
They needed WRs who didn't drop balls
They needed a RB who wouldn't fumble.
They needed a DB to either catch the ball or knock it down.
They needed somebody to tackle Brock Fucking Purdy before he gained 15 yards
And then they needed Goff to pull a Stafford.

But yeah, Goff could have overcome those other things if only he was a passionate leader. Like I said, the lengths.....

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
No big takeaways from this game for me.
Lions going for it on 4th? It's who they are.. nothing wrong with it. Reynolds dropped the ball. If he makes the catch does that make Campbell a genius? Nope.. but it's how they approach the game.
But you don't HAVE to stick to things. In huge game, one your players have never been in, there is nothing wrong with adjusting. After the fluke plays, he went for it again and lost by 3.

I know, it's easy to second guess, but it's not less manly to kick a field goal.

As far as the drop, sure. And I know you're not doing this, but the analytics people will always blame the play or the execution, not the decision. And that is what bugs me most about the nerds. In their "math" all things are baked in the cake. Great catches, drops, good play calls, bad play calls -- -them is the hazards.

So, live by the sword, die by the sword. In the meantime, whether just the 4th downs or not, he has one of the biggest chokes of all time on his resume.

But hey, he was 'gressive .... grrrrrr

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The lengths some will go to..... "they needed a paasionate leader'?

They needed an intelligent leader with minimal math skills.
They needed WRs who didn't drop balls
They needed a RB who wouldn't fumble.
They needed a DB to either catch the ball or knock it down.
They needed somebody to tackle Brock Fucking Purdy before he gained 15 yards
And then they needed Goff to pull a Stafford.

But yeah, Goff could have overcome those other things if only he was a passionate leader. Like I said, the lengths.....
I honestly don't get it.
I mean.. Jared's a good QB. Great? No. But absolutely a good QB.

I mean.. the Rams got the Super Bowl.. the trade was a good one. What's the need to keep taking shots at Jared?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
But you don't HAVE to stick to things. In huge game, one your players have never been in, there is nothing wrong with adjusting. After the fluke plays, he went for it again and lost by 3.

I know, it's easy to second guess, but it's not less manly to kick a field goal.

As far as the drop, sure. And I know you're not doing this, but the analytics people will always blame the play or the execution, not the decision. And that is what bugs me most about the nerds. In their "math" all things are baked in the cake. Great catches, drops, good play calls, bad play calls -- -them is the hazards.

So, live by the sword, die by the sword. In the meantime, whether just the 4th downs or not, he has one of the biggest chokes of all time on his resume.

But hey, he was 'gressive .... grrrrrr
I'm just going to disagree and that's okay. Different views of football.

I also don't think it's "less manly" to kick the FG.. it's just a different approach.

Players make plays or they don't. Even with the failed 4th down plays.. if Reynolds doesn't drop a DIME by Jared.. if Gibbs doesn't get crossed up, fail to secure the ball and then fumble.. if Jameson catches the ball.. if Vildor doesn't let an interception hit him in the facemark.. if Sutton doesn't whiff on an interception.

There are numerous misplays in the game by the Lions that could've lead to a different result.

And.. hey.. the non-analytics people think you'll make every field goal. Doesn't work out that way, either.

And I disagree with being aggressive just to be aggressive. On the first one.. the third down play was called to set up a fourth down play.. that's not blind aggression.. that's having a plan.

Again, just a different view. Would I call it that way? Shit, I don't know.. but I get what Campbell is doing and that's who they are.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

“By the hair of their skinny teeth teeth.”​

Stafford really pulled that one out in Tampa Bay. Such an amazing leader.