New Ram Wr Vs. Sherman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This match up is so crucial going into next season.To be the best you must beat the best and Sherman is the best CB in the game right now.

Quick is probably has the best tools of any WO on the team, but it's been a dissappointing journey this far. I just don't think Quick can change direction well enough to gain a consistent level of competitiveness.

Givens- Doesn't do well in traffic. (That epic drop agains SF still makes me sick...)

Pettis- No

Bailey- He is our best option presently. Quick, tough, great hands and he's only getting better. Just wish he was all around bigger to get off Jams.

Potential Upgrdes:

Evans- Love his size and aggressiveness but he's just not athletic enough. He can't cut on a dime and Sherman's ability to close the gap is incredible.

Watkins- He's a very tough receiver to cover 1 on 1. He's the kinda guy that you have to worry about every route. This alone would stress Sherman. You add in his hands and ability to go over the top and you have a winner. My only 2 questions on Watkins pertains his durability and how he handles jams, especially jams. I was hoping someone could shed some light on that.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
As long as he gets away with his PI and defensive holding, it's going to be hard for any receiver to beat him.

The only reason he's any good, IMO.

Bailey does really well against jams. Size doesn't always dictate this.

My vote is neither. Run first, throw away from Sherman. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but one receiver isn't the way to beat him.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Evans, unlike Crabtree, can beat Sherman on jump balls. That said, I agree with you in that I don't think Evan's is that athletic in terms of route running / cutting. It may not matter though if his primary job is to win jump balls.

iced

As long as he gets away with his PI and defensive holding, it's going to be hard for any receiver to beat him.

The only reason he's any good, IMO.

Bailey does really well against jams. Size doesn't always dictate this.

My vote is neither. Run first, throw away from Sherman. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but one receiver isn't the way to beat him.

Sherman can be beat with speed too, and great route running (roddy white)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Sherman can be beat. He's as good as he is because of the scheme and the rest of the defensive backs playing with him. They're in a cover-3 look with Chancellor playing the robber, when they're not straight man-to-man. The only way to beat their defense is via a collective effort. So our slot / TE needs to occupy the attention of the safeties in order to get one-on-one with Sherman....

In other words, whether we have Quick or Watkins playing #1, it's going to take a collective effort to beat Sherman.

What we need is an OL that can block and a healthy QB that can stress the defense (which I'm sure Bradford is capable of doing). Skill guys, like RB's and WR's, are just pieces on a chess board in my opinion.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
I firmly believe Dick Sherman can not handle Tavon by himself, I don't have the numbers or tape to prove it though.
Imagine sending Austin in motion out wide, Dick only plays one spot so he would have to take him. Can't jam him if you cant touch him he can't run with him either he is gonna need safety help. Best CB my ass no holding no success.

GO RAMS!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's how you beat Sherman; put gum in his hair. Call him a girly man.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I firmly believe Dick Sherman can not handle Tavon by himself, I don't have the numbers or tape to prove it though.
Imagine sending Austin in motion out wide, Dick only plays one spot so he would have to take him. Can't jam him if you cant touch him he can't run with him either he is gonna need safety help. Best CB my ass no holding no success.

GO RAMS!

Like you, I hope TA is put in a position to do such things. Even if he's used as a decoy, he could be huge. Sherman would give him a 10 yard cushion. Safety would be cognizant of where TA was.... Someone else MUST be open.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GO RAMS!

There are so many things I love about this post. Well done, man. :D

Stay thirsty my friends...

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't think it is anymore about adding or finding one WR as it is scheme. None of it will matter in our division if our OL is in shambles. I put WR down the list a bit.
Austin v Sherman is interesting. Have to have him in motion to keep SheNa hands off of him.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
There are so many things I love about this post. Well done, man. :D

Stay thirsty my friends...
I think this match-up favors the Rams. Have to respect the speed if Dick gets too close TA will change direction before he can HOLD him. Sherman will be mad bro:mad:

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Sherman would push and knock down Austin at the line of scrimmage lol. Just stay away from him he's too good

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Beat Sherman = Protect Sam. Give Sam some time and any CB will get beat.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think this match-up favors the Rams. Have to respect the speed if Dick gets too close TA will change direction before he can HOLD him. Sherman will be mad bro:mad:

Haha! He just keeps doing it!

Now that's consistency... :D

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Beat Sherman = Protect Sam. Give Sam some time and any CB will get beat.

Until Givens drops the ball and Quick never turns around *THUNK*!!!!

We need Watkins, man.

jap

Legend

GO RAMS!

In addition to the above, Tavon is a little guy. If Sherman holds him, it will be a lot more obvious than if he snatches a bigger guy. The refs will quickly see if a speedy jitterbug like Tavon is suddenly jolted out of his route running.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sherman is also helped by a pretty stellar pass rush. If a CB has to cover a guy for 3 seconds or less, many a CB can do that all day. If he has to stick with the receiver for longer periods, he is going to get beat enough times to get the edge. Also, if a WR can get Sherman alone past the safety help, he just gets more vulnerable. I think that is where if you are going to beat Sherman inside the Redzone, you either need quick hitters or a taller receiver. In this case, I don't know how much of an advantage Watkins gives you over our current corp.

But if you have an O-line that can push their D-line and open up holes, Sherman has less help from the safeties and LBs and is then one on one against the likes of Cook and Quick. Hell - I even like Pettis in that match up if it's one on one.

In addition to the above, Tavon is a little guy. If Sherman holds him, it will be a lot more obvious than if he snatches a bigger guy. The refs will quickly see if a speedy jitterbug like Tavon is suddenly jolted out of his route running.

You're assuming that the refs would actually call holding if they saw it, we played 16 games last season, I don't think a single one of them was called fairly.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Until Givens drops the ball and Quick never turns around *THUNK*!!!!

We need Watkins, man.
Watkins and a guard... maybe two.

If our starting tackles next year are Long and Barksdale, then as long as Long's health isn't an issue, I'm good there. We need guards though. Especially if Saffold doesn't re-sign.