New Ram Wr Vs. Sherman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
...but MAN with Fisher/Williams defenses and Martz' offense we could spank this league
Five slight problems with that hypothesis:

Pace
Warner
Faulk
Bruce
Holt

We currently have players nowhere near their standard at those positions. And that's not denigrating our current players; the GSOT was based upon five HOF-calibre players in key positions.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Five slight problems with that hypothesis:

Pace
Warner
Faulk
Bruce
Holt

We currently have players nowhere near their standard at those positions. And that's not denigrating our current players; the GSOT was based upon five HOF-calibre players in key positions.
I don't argue with that, but the athletic talent NOW is as good, they need a coach who can make their talent rise to HOF perfomance.
I'd argue the GSOT never HAD a TE close to Cook in ability, Sam is a better athlete than Kurt, I give ya the rest, Martz IMO could make Sam realize ALL his talent and don't forget the defensive part of the daydream.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'm by no means a Sam basher but he is nowhere near Kurt's ability in pure passing terms.

Having said that, I'd put a peak-form Kurt second only to Montana in the last thirty years. So what do I know?

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm by no means a Sam basher but he is nowhere near Kurt's ability in pure passing terms.

Having said that, I'd put a peak-form Kurt second only to Montana in the last thirty years. So what do I know?
Look , Kurt was a sweet passer like Montana ,but neither had the arm Sam does, Kurt was SLOW of foot as well,Sam MAY BE Now,but before the injury he had good wheels.
Kurt's greatest attributes were decisiveness and coverage recognition and A WHOLE lot of that was what Martz taught him.
Anyway I'm not a Kurt basher either,loved the guy still do, he deserves all the credit anyone wants to give him.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
Givens says no problem...
image.jpg

jap

Legend
Let me address some of the discussion elements from above.

If Mad Mike were brought in as OC, he would be under a strong HC in The Fisher King who would keep his proclivities at abandoning the running game severely in check, just like Dickie V did.

Although I agree that Jared Cook has better hands than Ernie Conwell, no way does he come close to Ernie as a blocker. Ernie, who IIRC was the bench pressing champion of the Horns locker room, an ex-decathlete, was so bull-strong that putting him next to the OL was like having an extra OL-guy blocking. As an overall TE, I place him easily over Jared. As far as the best TE hands I ever saw in a Horns uniform, that distinction goes without reservation to Pete Holahan, a magician with super soft paws who had the best pure hands on a Horns team that included Henry Ellard and Flipper Anderson. Pete routinely made acrobatic one-handed catches that could take your breath away and was so sure handed he was entrusted to hold the ball for kicker Mike Lansford.

As far as whether Sam the Ram is as good as an in-form Kurt "Special K" Warner, remember that thus far, Sam has had OC's that tended to emphasize conservative passing. With Mad Mike in the director's seat, he would be told to ramp it up to fast & furious limitations, which with mad Mike was no limitations at all! :ROFLMAO: We don't really know what Sam's ceiling is under those circumstances. Kurt was very accurate, but so is Sam. I personally believe Sam's overall accuracy and especially his downfield accuracy are among the game's elite today. What could Sam do with an OC who takes the chains off the downfield passing game like Mad Mike would.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
One of the things that Martz did with his QBs, that I think Sam really needs is to challenge his QB to throw downfield. I think Bradford has the mindset of not taking any chances, which is why his TD to interception rating is so good. But Sam has such an accurate arm that I believe if he was willing to take more chances our offense could really push the ball downfield much more often and efficiently. I remember all of the stories about Martz calling out Warner and Bulger in practice to force them to throw to trust his WR and throw the ball longer.

If Sam became more willing to throw it longer our offense could become more deadly. My biggest beef with Sam is that the vast majority of his throws appear to be within 0--8 yards of the line of scrimmage. If he threw more intermediate routes I think we'd move the ball much better and Sam's numbers would improve. I guess the question is why use a QB with such an accurate arm to throw the ball 6 yards? The vast majority of QBs in the NFL can accurately throw the ball within 6 yards. But Sam has the ability to be much more accurate than the average QB as he is very accurate in longer passes. We need a coach to push him to throw it there. I don't really care if his interceptions go up as long as we score more and win more games.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Sherman would push and knock down Austin at the line of scrimmage lol. Just stay away from him he's too good

The only way Sherman would try to jam TA is if he had a Safety on top. Austin is so quick, and so fast, that if Sherman misses the jam it's GAME OVER.

I think TA has learned what it means to be a professional (via a tough year 1) and he's going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Fingers crossed!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Let me address some of the discussion elements from above.

If Mad Mike were brought in as OC, he would be under a strong HC in The Fisher King who would keep his proclivities at abandoning the running game severely in check, just like Dickie V did.

Although I agree that Jared Cook has better hands than Ernie Conwell, no way does he come close to Ernie as a blocker. Ernie, who IIRC was the bench pressing champion of the Horns locker room, an ex-decathlete, was so bull-strong that putting him next to the OL was like having an extra OL-guy blocking. As an overall TE, I place him easily over Jared. As far as the best TE hands I ever saw in a Horns uniform, that distinction goes without reservation to Pete Holahan, a magician with super soft paws who had the best pure hands on a Horns team that included Henry Ellard and Flipper Anderson. Pete routinely made acrobatic one-handed catches that could take your breath away and was so sure handed he was entrusted to hold the ball for kicker Mike Lansford.

As far as whether Sam the Ram is as good as an in-form Kurt "Special K" Warner, remember that thus far, Sam has had OC's that tended to emphasize conservative passing. With Mad Mike in the director's seat, he would be told to ramp it up to fast & furious limitations, which with mad Mike was no limitations at all! :ROFLMAO: We don't really know what Sam's ceiling is under those circumstances. Kurt was very accurate, but so is Sam. I personally believe Sam's overall accuracy and especially his downfield accuracy are among the game's elite today. What could Sam do with an OC who takes the chains off the downfield passing game like Mad Mike would.

This was a great post and I really enjoyed the happy trip down memory lane.

The Martz scheme is dangerous as it requires a QB that can take a lot of hits, due to frequent use of 7-step drops. It didn't work in Chicago with Cutler. Not sure if it would work for Bradford. And since the majority of the offensive coordinators that Bradford has had have been West Coast guys, I'm assuming that Bradford is perceived to be a West Coast QB. Not an Air Coryell guy.

I'm thinking that if Snead/Fischer thought Bradford was an Air Coryell guy we would have a different offensive coordinator.