New QB Time!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Please.

1st and 6... You ever try RUNNING to your right ,,, and then throwing across your body to your left across the field. There are 2 defenders there. Pick City jrry.

I'm not even going to get into the second set of stills.

You've already proven your thoughts on KC to me prior to the game Monday night. We get it bud,,, you ain't no Clemens fan. I remember you labeling him with some choice descriptions just last week.

You ever actually play a team sport jrry? How bout football?

These stills you are using are unable to show a multitude of things that are happening during the play.

Clemens gets some credit for the offense being at the 1 yard line after a 96 yard drive at the end of the game. He and the rest of the O are responsible for that.

That is a good point about why not to throw that pass. But one would have to ask doesn't the OC understand that having the QB run in one direction and his WR's running patterns across the grain might not work? There was another play earlier in the game where two Ram WR's interfered with each other. I'm starting to wonder if these WR are on the wrong page or if some of these play designs are just really bad.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I really wanted them to sign Shaun Hill a couple years ago but he spurned us to go back to Detroit. I liked Ryan Nassib in the 4th round but honestly, I would have taken Barrett Jones over him if given the chance. And I wouldn't have taken a QB after that. So yea, we probably would have been stuck with it either ways. Like I said, big mistake in hindsight.

The only other option, I made my opinion known on last week. But I wouldn't have signed he who shall not be named before the season. Too much drama with him on the bench.
lol. Your Tebow fetish is awesome. Agree though. Him on the bench sends the asshat fans of this team into a frenzy.
I'll indulge you though. Don't you think you would have to dramatically change the offense with him in there though?
And subsequently, really screw up the development of the receivers?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We respectfully disagree here and that will and should happen often. CAN YOU DIG IT???
I hear ya, but the amount of receivers that stepped right in and produced is SO small though. I mean really rare. We didn't draft anyone like Green or Jones or anyone else who lit it up right off the bat. In fact, in the last decade, the number of receivers who came in and produced at a high level can be counted on one hand with fingers to spare.

Glad you reigned in that comment about this team rivaling the 1999 Rams defense. We gots a ways ta go before that can be argued...

I feel like our WRs given time might be solid WR corp. Quick is still so frustrating though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm really disappointed in some of you.

NOBODY gives Classic Pony props for starting a 5 page thread?

Shame on you... :heh:

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
No the Rams haven't. But they are not as rare as other positions. We got Holt and Oz - w/o those two could we have done what we did. The eagles have Jackson. Austin was suppose to be that kind of receiver - but I'm not sure whose fault that is. With that speed WR screens - really? at 5"8' a buck nothing a screen?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can dig it. I know that because Stacy came in and put everyone else in the back seat. So maybe Austin can shine in the spotlight, but I really, really doubt it. I saw him get that deer-in-the-headlights look and that's the same look I saw out of Druckenmiller. How's THAT for a name from the past, eh?
Just for the record... my last sentence had nothing to to with your opening sentence. Now that you bring it up though... I think this is the guy you are after. WARRIORS ... Come out and playay...
warriors-06.jpg

CAN YOU DIG IT!!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No the Rams haven't. But they are not as rare as other positions. We got Holt and Oz - w/o those two could we have done what we did. The eagles have Jackson. Austin was suppose to be that kind of receiver - but I'm not sure whose fault that is. With that speed WR screens - really? at 5"8' a buck nothing a screen?
Huh???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol. Your Tebow fetish is awesome. Agree though. Him on the bench sends the asshat fans of this team into a frenzy.
I'll indulge you though. Don't you think you would have to dramatically change the offense with him in there though?
And subsequently, really screw up the development of the receivers?

Dramatically? No, I don't think so. We'd use more shotgun sets and hopefully incorporate the read option but the route tree wouldn't really change. Heck, it might improve their development when it comes to working with a scrambling QB and making difficult catches with inaccurate passes.

But the offense would have been ground and pound just like Seattle...and imo, it would have likely ended up being more effective because of his added running threat compared to Clemens.

I don't see something like that messing up their development unless you just stop running full route trees and change the terminology and playbook significantly. I wouldn't be for that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I feel like our WRs given time might be solid WR corp. Quick is still so frustrating though.
He really is. Sometimes he looks all world, and then he looks like he's completely lost.
I'm of the opinion that most receivers need a couple of years to get it, but his background is a bit more unique.
He might need the whole of 3 years to become what he was drafted to be.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I hear ya, but the amount of receivers that stepped right in and produced is SO small though. I mean really rare. We didn't draft anyone like Green or Jones or anyone else who lit it up right off the bat. In fact, in the last decade, the number of receivers who came in and produced at a high level can be counted on one hand with fingers to spare.

Glad you reigned in that comment about this team rivaling the 1999 Rams defense. We gots a ways ta go before that can be argued...
Not sure that defense was actually better. Our offense was just so good it made other defenses one dimensional. MUCH easier for which to game plan.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He really is. Sometimes he looks all world, and then he looks like he's completely lost.
I'm of the opinion that most receivers need a couple of years to get it, but his background is a bit more unique.
He might need the whole of 3 years to become what he was drafted to be.

Yea, Quick is a tough subject. I've been rooting for him since Day 1 but I'm still a little disappointed that we passed on my mancrush of the draft that year to select Quick instead.

Hopefully, he breaks though. It really stinks that the game he finally starts to show up in is the game Sam got hurt in.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dramatically? No, I don't think so. We'd use more shotgun sets and hopefully incorporate the read option but the route tree wouldn't really change. Heck, it might improve their development when it comes to working with a scrambling QB and making difficult catches with inaccurate passes.

But the offense would have been ground and pound just like Seattle...and imo, it would have likely ended up being more effective because of his added running threat compared to Clemens.

I don't see something like that messing up their development unless you just stop running full route trees and change the terminology and playbook significantly. I wouldn't be for that.
I didn't see anything out of our receivers on Monday that would lead me to believe that their grasp on sight adjustments or ability to react to a scrambling QB is at a level high enough to compensate for a QB who scrambles/improvises with such regularity. That would be my main concern, TBH. And making them cease to run full route trees kinda does screw with their development.

I like Tebow as a player and a person. I really do. But man is he mechanically flawed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not sure that defense was actually better. Our offense was just so good it made other defenses one dimensional. MUCH easier for which to game plan.
Kevin Carter, D'Marco Farr, Grant Wistrom, London Fletcher, Todd Lyght, Mike Jones, Keith Lyle, Leonard Little...

So much talent there, and they were locked in. I like our defense this year A LOT, but we're a few pieces away from that assembly of talent.

moklerman

Warner-phile
While I'm not too optimistic about Clemens I'm still willing to give the guy some slack. First start in two years and only the 12th in his career. I don't think it's fair to expect a guy to tear it up under those circumstances. Let him get his feet wet before giving up on him. He settled down as the game went along so maybe a full week of practice and acclimating will yield better results.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kevin Carter, D'Marco Farr, Grant Wistrom, London Fletcher, Todd Lyght, Mike Jones, Keith Lyle, Leonard Little...

So much talent there, and they were locked in. I like our defense this year A LOT, but we're a few pieces away from that assembly of talent.

Long, Brockers, Quinn, JL, Tree, Dunbar, Jenks... maybe not the all around good talent but possible slightly less VERY good talent. Like one player away. Get the offense going and a couple of those guys become GREAT players.

Oh... and the defense becomes top five.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't see anything out of our receivers on Monday that would lead me to believe that their grasp on sight adjustments or ability to react to a scrambling QB is at a level high enough to compensate for a QB who scrambles/improvises with such regularity. That would be my main concern, TBH. And making them cease to run full route trees kinda does screw with their development.

I like Tebow as a player and a person. I really do. But man is he mechanically flawed.

That's why you keep running the full route tree.

Wouldn't experience with that help their development? :wink:

had

Rookie
I'm OT, but the Rams should have got Tebow. Tebow would have won that game. Oh yes.

And I think Jerry has a point when he says that with the dominance of the defense and the running game, how do the Rams not win that game?

If Clemens is the best answer, given the alternatives, it would seem that the alternatives have broken thumbs, or something.

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
I thought Austin could do that but - way the WR screens for a kid that's 5"8' a buck nothing?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's why you keep running the full route tree.

Wouldn't experience with that help their development? :wink:
You can't keep running the route tree when the QB goes out of the pocket due to being pressured (and teams would bring the HOUSE against Tebow). It's incumbent upon the receiver to recognize that and do everything in his power to get back to the QB or improvise. We didn't see that Monday. I think that hampers their development more than it helps, IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I thought Austin could do that but - way the WR screens for a kid that's 5"8' a buck nothing?
Because that's where he excels. You don't have to be huge to run a screen. You just have to be fast and elusive. If any of the blocking that's been set up for him had ever been successful, then we'd see why it's a smart play. But man, the blocking on these screens has been really, really bad.