New QB Time!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
I agree with Clemens finishing out the season, but I am for drafting a qb 3rd or 4th round who can develop under bradford in case something happens (GOD FORBID)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing Austin in there for a game. Then we'd really know.
I disagree. If he did well, it wouldn't mean anything. If he sucked, it still wouldn't mean anything. You can really only assess the situation over a sustained period, and that's why we're not going to see Austin. Not unless Clemens gets hurt.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I disagree. If he did well, it wouldn't mean anything. If he sucked, it still wouldn't mean anything. You can really only assess the situation over a sustained period, and that's why we're not going to see Austin. Not unless Clemens gets hurt.
Okay, now it's my turn to disagree with you :)

If he did well, then it demonstrates his upside potential. Then the question becomes if he can play consistently at that level. So yes, if he played well, we'd have to see him play again before we could assess his ability to be consistent.

So, playing well does mean something, it means he'd get another chance at the apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Didn't Tony Banks have a game for the Ravens where he threw for 6 TD's and couldn't do shizzle the next week?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Okay, now it's my turn to disagree with you :)

If he did well, then it demonstrates his upside potential. Then the question becomes if he can play consistently at that level. So yes, if he played well, we'd have to see him play again before we could assess his ability to be consistent.
His upside potential? He's in the NFL. He already has that. I was just saying that one game isn't enough to assess his worth going forward. Good game or bad. And because it takes more than one game, we won't see him play unless Clemens gets hurt. Clemens, right now, hasn't played himself out of the starting job.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
His upside potential? He's in the NFL. He already has that. I was just saying that one game isn't enough to assess his worth going forward. Good game or bad. And because it takes more than one game, we won't see him play unless Clemens gets hurt. Clemens, right now, hasn't played himself out of the starting job.
But don't we want to know if we have a competent LONG TERM backup for Sam? Don't we need to figure that out this season. Otherwise, we keep KC for another season, or we draft someone and hope they work out, or we trade or get an existing vet in free agency. So, I think finding out his long time value means something. Hence, if you're right about Fish's approach, then I disagree with it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But don't we want to know if we have a competent LONG TERM backup for Sam? Don't we need to figure that out this season. Otherwise, we keep KC for another season, or we draft someone and hope they work out, or we trade or get an existing vet in free agency. So, I think finding out his long time value means something. Hence, if you're right about Fish's approach, then I disagree with it.
You don't typically see long-term backups anymore. If they're any good, they get snatched up, traded, or hit free agency. But, no. I don't think we need to figure that out this season. Not as we're trying to win games. Basically what we have now is some people who think the backup to the backup is somehow a diamond. Which is fine. I'm not saying it's wrong to think that. But I've seen that storyline play out before. I'll want my curiosity satisfied in that regard only if Clemens starts playing like shit. Consistently. For me, I'd rather the Rams try to win games with the guy who has the most chemistry and experience with the receivers.

Your way is fine too. Don't get me wrong. It just doesn't appear to be in the cards, so it's kind of an exercise in futility to wish for it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually agree, X. As much as I'd like to see what Davis can do out of curiosity, no reason to yank Clemens if he's playing solid football. The team still wants to win and it sends the wrong message to basically pack it in...even if that only means going 6-10/7-9 instead of 4-12.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
You don't typically see long-term backups anymore. If they're any good, they get snatched up, traded, or hit free agency. But, no. I don't think we need to figure that out this season. Not as we're trying to win games. Basically what we have now is some people who think the backup to the backup is somehow a diamond. Which is fine. I'm not saying it's wrong to think that. But I've seen that storyline play out before. I'll want my curiosity satisfied in that regard only if Clemens starts playing like shyte. Consistently. For me, I'd rather the Rams try to win games with the guy who has the most chemistry and experience with the receivers.

Your way is fine too. Don't get me wrong. It just doesn't appear to be in the cards, so it's kind of an exercise in futility to wish for it.
Okay, so do we keep KC next year assuming he continues to play well? Or, are you saying that we're destined to acquire a new backup no matter the outcome this season?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I actually agree, X. As much as I'd like to see what Davis can do out of curiosity, no reason to yank Clemens if he's playing solid football. The team still wants to win and it sends the wrong message to basically pack it in...even if that only means going 6-10/7-9 instead of 4-12.
But I thought you said you wouldn't watch as long as KC was playing? Did I get that msg wrong, or are you still not going to watch?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Okay, so do we keep KC next year assuming he continues to play well? Or, are you saying that we're destined to acquire a new backup no matter the outcome this season?
I'm sure they do keep him next year. The backup role is his to lose (right now).
And yeah, I'm saying they draft another one to compete with all of the QBs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I thought you said you wouldn't watch as long as KC was playing? Did I get that msg wrong, or are you still not going to watch?

I am not watching the games live. But that's mainly because I just don't see us going to the playoffs and I want to avoid the stress(also partly because my group of friends play tackle football on Sunday afternoon). I watch it on Rewind Sunday night.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think it all just boils down to if your #2 QB(or #3 or #4) is playing you're screwed that year. There are certainly some Cinderella stories out there but they stand out for a reason. Most backup QB's rushed into service don't ever do much. They are life preservers, not backup ships to hop onto. Or the weenie spare tire in a desperate situation, not another car.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think it all just boils down to if your #2 QB(or #3 or #4) is playing you're screwed that year. There are certainly some Cinderella stories out there but they stand out for a reason. Most backup QB's rushed into service don't ever do much. They are life preservers, not backup ships to hop onto. Or the weenie spare tire in a desperate situation, not another car.

Great analogy right there. Back-up QBs generally ARE much like those little weenie spare tires. You can get around on them and run your vehicle in a pinch but you can't go full speed and you need to avoid a lot of the twists and turns. IMO, Clemens is the spare tire that is full size but just doesn't have the tread that your other tires have. You can slap it on, know that it fits, but really can't expect the performance from your real tires.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think it would be a mistake to let Clemens walk(again). They already tried to dump him this year and got lucky that he was still available when Davis didn't work out. He's a serviceable #2 that compliments Bradford. If they intend on keeping Bradford then I think they should just stay the course. Bringing in someone completely new seems counterproductive at this stage of the rebuild IMO.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Just to add my two cents.....personally, I don't care how many more games this team wins or loses this season....all I care about is that the 1 & 2 year players get more opportunities to play and be evaluated and that goes for any potential QB back-up (not that we have any viable candidate at present).

As for Clemens...say what you wish, opinions are like a$$holes, yada, yada, yada. Bottom line, Clemens is not a viable candidate as backup (IF) the Rams actually become competitive for a division title or playoff spot. If they remain in the middle or bottom of the pack, then is really doesn't matter, does it?

X is correct, upper levels of second string QB's (beyond their initial contract) command a premium for teams in the hunt. That said, I find it difficult to believe that there aren't QB's who can be developed, who are either presently in the league or soon to be. Clemens isn't the answer, he can't carry a team and he certainly can't be relied upon against teams that can bring pressure up the middle. He's been around long enough to know that this is about as good as he gets and assuming the Rams can compete in years 3 & 4 of the Fisher era, they'd better darn sure find someone who can actually hold things together and put up points should Bradford (or whoever) go down.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So of all the backup QBs out there right now who would you rather have than KC? Green Bay wishes that had someone as good as him, Chicago about the same level of play as KC, Tampa, Jacksonville? Who does SF or Seattle have?

Clemens might no be the Ferrari but he's not the Datsun B210 either.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
So of all the backup QBs out there right now who would you rather have than KC? Green Bay wishes that had someone as good as him, Chicago about the same level of play as KC, Tampa, Jacksonville? Who does SF or Seattle have?

Stop it. Clemons is the YugoPacerGremlinPintoVega of all QB's. A real Suzuki Samurai if ya ask me. He should be run out of town right this second for bailing too quickly on every play. How dare you insinuate anything different. We should find his address and TP the ever living snot out if his house. Sorry, couldn't find the blue font anywhere.:cheese:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I've looked at every team and their backup QB situation, and I can't find anyone who I'd rather have at this point. All of them have the potential to be better, but then again, all of them have the potential to be worse too. Clemens isn't hurting this team, so there's nothing really to worry about as far as I'm concerned.