New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Seriously? Citizens of St.Louis have done the same...

And I've yet to see a report of Chargers playing in London or practice several states away, let alone the place they're rumored to move to

They have? What suits did St Louis citizens file and for to do what?

So I guess San Diego citizens can't feel like their owner alienates them or screws them over because they didn't play in London 4 years ago, or have a joint training camp with another team then, right? That's completely ridiculous and on par with saying that nobody in America can ever complain about anything or be upset about anything because there are children in Africa who have it worse. Go talk to Chargers fans or poke around their various forums, they're not happy and they don't like Spanos and they really don't like Fabiani.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Did his response work for you? Not poking fun here. I honestly found it a little less than what I'd hoped for the time he has put in and the fact that he is the lead man. But being from St Louis, what did you make of it?
Oh, I know you're not poking fun. His response worked for me. From reading that and bits and pieces from other boards, it seems they're not too worried about it, so I won't worry either.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh, I know you're not poking fun. His response worked for me. From reading that and bits and pieces from other boards, it seems they're not too worried about it, so I won't worry either.
Fair enough.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So I guess San Diego citizens can't feel like their owner alienates them or screws them over because they didn't play in London 4 years ago, or have a joint training camp with another team then, right? That's completely ridiculous and on par with saying that nobody in America can ever complain about anything or be upset about anything because there are children in Africa who have it worse. Go talk to Chargers fans or poke around their various forums, they're not happy and they don't like Spanos and they really don't like Fabiani.

I don't think he said anything remotely like that. That's an unfair exaggeration.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
That's the billion dollar question.

Although I read for the first 10 years any unsold seats had to be purchased by the city (not sure how true that is) so it might be from 2005 to present.

Part of the original agreement was the Rams were guaranteed 20 years of sell outs....... The St Louis gift that kept giving.....

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Part of the original agreement was the Rams were guaranteed 20 years of sell outs....... The St Louis gift that kept giving.....

Hmmmmm, I was told this once, but I can't seem to verify it on the Web. I can only find an article from '95 that says the sale of Club seats and Luxury boxes would be guaranteed to 85% for 15 years.

ramfaninsd

UDFA
Speaking once in 18 months, let alone by chance at the owner's meeting?

Yea that really shows a guy who's willing to negotiate

I don't know even why you're defending his actions at this point - from the get go, he's never shown an inclination to stay here

Lol please - St.Louis is a show me state. He's done nothing but alienate the fan base for the past few years - something you can't complain about the Chargers. They're not screwing over their fans, holding practices in carson, etc.

the chargers over the years have held camp in carson and i think also at cal state dominguez hills.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't think he said anything remotely like that. That's an unfair exaggeration.

Yes he did, he said that Kroenke was alienating and screwing over fanbases, something that Chargers fans couldn't claim. I said that San Diego fans would probably differ given that they are complaining about it all the time, and even went and filed a lawsuit to have Fabiani removed from the equation. He then said he's yet to see the Chargers play in London or schedule a practice somewhere else, indicating that by not doing that Chargers fans shouldn't feel alienated or screwed over. I stand by my statement, Chargers fans can certainly feel alienated and screwed over by Spanos and it appears many of them, like many St Louis fans, do feel this way.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yes he did, he said that Kroenke was alienating and screwing over fanbases, something that Chargers fans couldn't claim. I said that San Diego fans would probably differ given that they are complaining about it all the time, and even went and filed a lawsuit to have Fabiani removed from the equation. He then said he's yet to see the Chargers play in London or schedule a practice somewhere else, indicating that by not doing that Chargers fans shouldn't feel alienated or screwed over. I stand by my statement, Chargers fans can certainly feel alienated and screwed over by Spanos and it appears many of them, like many St Louis fans, do feel this way.

No, he said that the Chargers aren't rubbing their face in it by playing in the place they are trying to move to. You may disagree, but that didn't warrant the staving children in Africa lecture. That was my point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No, he said that the Chargers aren't rubbing their face in it by playing in the place they are trying to move to. You may disagree, but that didn't warrant the staving children in Africa lecture. That was my point.
Well just when the heck DO you get to use the starving children in Africa argument? :mad:

iced

the chargers over the years have held camp in carson and i think also at cal state dominguez hills.

And with the threat of relocation just a few months away, only the Rams are doing that to their fan base

iced

They have? What suits did St Louis citizens file and for to do what?

The fans and university professor who tried to have the Mayor removed from the case.

Weird - I don't see san diego practicing out of state or in the very place they're threatening to relocate too during such a critical time.. I'm sure it's all just coincidence - just ask jerruh!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/22/jerry-jones-drawn-to-good-flavor-of-the-rams-in-l-a/

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The fans and university professor who tried to have the Mayor removed from the case.

Weird - I don't see san diego practicing out of state or in the very place they're threatening to relocate too during such a critical time.. I'm sure it's all just coincidence - just ask jerruh!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/22/jerry-jones-drawn-to-good-flavor-of-the-rams-in-l-a/

The Chargers could play preseason in LA and still be somewhat in their market. That's why Carson is still being strongly considered despite some real question marks. Same for the Raiders. From some of the conflicting polls out there, LA would be better than a home game for them. Only the Rams fan base get to watch from across the nation. So, due to distance I agree it's a bit more alienating for us. I'd argue it'd be almost impossible for Spanos to out alienate Stan simply because of distance involved.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That doesn't answer the question at hand. The original question I asked was: If the NFL is worried about corporate support, how do you fix that? If Stan is going to argue on why he should be able to leave and the market studies indeed show there isn't an appetite for corporate support, then what? I'm not going to count on Kroenke fighting for St Louis or trying to paint a rosy picture, so that's going to fall on the city. If the city just says "Well what has Kroenke done to improve the business to make corporations want to buy suits, I don't think it's going to take them very far. First, the team has improved quite a bit since he's taken over, and second just trying to blame the Rams probably wont make the NFL happy.

We can say that the Rams are still not a good team. I'd argue that trying to say that they haven't improved is wrong, but if the NFL is worried about the lack of corporate support, then it's going to be on the city to show them that they can and will support the Rams through good times and bad. Counting on Kroenke to make that argument would be incredibly incredibly stupid, and simply blaming them would be as well.

Too many pages ago... but it was brought up that the Rams support has been waning of late.

I suggested that maybe it was due to the product...

You continue to suggest improvement ought to be enough to stop the slide... that this improvement might help Kroenke suggest he's leaving because, despite improving the product, support continues to fall.

I (and others) are suggesting that, despite "improvement", the product is still lacking enough that there isn't a compelling reason for corporations to continue to shell out thousands and thousands of dollars for a suite that people aren't inclined to visit because the product on the field is lacking... despite the "improvement".

In other words, there hasn't been enough improvement to cause a ground swell of support (yet)... either at the consumer or corporate level.

To think people (consumers and corporations) should continue to spend considerable amounts of money on a team that has gone backwards the past three years is hard for me to grasp.

You're a corporate suite holder and you're having trouble entertaining customers because they don't want to come to the games because the team has gone 7-8-1, 7-9 and 6-10 the past three years.
You wouldn't seriously consider selling that suite? Y
ou'd keep paying thousands for an empty suite?
I'm thinking not?

One last thought... at least in the case of the suites, those are not "fans"... they don't live on "potential"... many do not drink kool-aid... they want to be part of a winner!

I think if part of Kroenke's case for leaving is that he's improved this product so much but the support is still not strong... well, I think he'd be barking at the moon.

iced

The Chargers could play preseason in LA and still be somewhat in their market. That's why Carson is still being strongly considered despite some real question marks. Same for the Raiders. From some of the conflicting polls out there, LA would be better than a home game for them. Only the Rams fan base get to watch from across the nation. So, due to distance I agree it's a bit more alienating for us. I'd argue it'd be almost impossible for Spanos to out alienate Stan simply because of distance involved.

And because of the distance, it makes it all the more obvious.

This doesn't even include the reduced off season stuff for fans that was being reported a few months ago... Those poor starving Fans in Africa...

Last edited:

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
STADIUM TALK: It's Over for San Diego and Oakland
By John Gennaro

A friend of mine, who isn't a San Diego Chargers fan, asked me a question a couple of weeks ago. He's been paying attention to the stadium situation from a far and wanted to know...

"Why aren't the Chargers and the Raiders just taking over the Farmers Field project?"

Up to this point, I was feeling pretty confident that the Chargers were going to stay in San Diego. The Carson project has so many hilarious roadblocks in its way that it can hardly be called a 'project', and I was hoping that Stan Kroenke would hold some old grudge with Dean Spanos over his head because he doesn't need Dean's money.

My friend had clearly lost his mind. The Farmers Field project was officially dead. AEG said themselves that they were giving up on it. Right?

That's when my friend directed me to this:

In an "Ask the Mayor" segment on KNX-AM (1070) radio on Thursday, Garcetti said news of the project's demise was "overreported" after AEG announced last week that it was bowing out of its Farmers Field proposal next to the Los Angeles Convention Center. Even if the sports and entertainment giant is no longer interested, Garcetti suggested that city officials would be open to the idea of someone else picking up the project.

"We have a good stadium deal downtown if anybody wants to take us up on it," he said. "The environmental work is already done. There's political consensus around it. We're ready to go."

L.A. Mayor Garcetti not ready to give up on downtown stadium plan - L.A. Times (March 19, 2015)

Did he just say he's ready to build a stadium in the most desirable location in the country for any willing NFL team? He did.

While the Carson project waits for politicians to stop fighting, and the San Diego project waits for it's high-speed EIR, and the Inglewood projects waits for the legal paperwork to clear....Farmers Field is ready to dig.

But what about AEG? They own the project, right?

Garcetti spokesman Yusef Robb later said the mayor was simply pointing out that until an alternative plan for the site is finalized downtown L.A. has a stadium site that is "fully entitled and available."

Still, AEG's Farmers Field development deal with the city expires April 17 and the company has said it will not seek an extension. It's unclear how the proposal - which won full city approvals in 2012 - might be transferred to a different developer.

Okay, fine. The deal has expired and might be able to be transferred to someone else. Just because Mayor Garcetti is out there selling goods doesn't mean anyone is buying.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos and Raiders owner Mark Davis were in Los Angeles on Tuesday, meeting with Mayor Eric Garcetti and other political heavyweights and promoting their vision for a shared stadium in Carson.

A spokesman for Garcetti confirmed the meeting and said the mayor "would welcome a team anywhere in the Los Angeles area."

Chargers, Raiders owners meet with L.A., Carson officials about stadium - L.A. Times (June 30, 2015)
Maybe my fear is getting the best of me in this situation, but why the hell would the Mayor of the City of Los Angeles be sitting down to talk with teams trying to build a stadium in the City of Carson?

If they were actually just trying to make some inroads with the local politicians...isn't that exactly what they hired Carmen Policy to do?

"While Mayor Garcetti frequently meets with companies looking to do business in Los Angeles, we are mindful that the Chargers, Raiders and Rams are still actively discussing stadium deals in their current cities and the NFL has not yet approved a team moving," Jeff Millman said.

Seriously, what the shit? Am I nuts, or does that sounds like Garcetti was pitching them on Farmers Field and is now trying to keep from blowing up the Carson and Inglewood deals while they scramble to close it?

Here's the thing...
Farmers Field is still the best option, if it is indeed an option. The only reason it wasn't an option before was because nobody would sell their team to AEG, and now AEG appears to be out of the picture.

Now that the Chargers have laughed in the face San Diego's efforts, and everyone has laughed in the face of Oakland's efforts, these two owners and the NFL need to figure out a solution for everyone.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL put this meeting/sales pitch together. It's long been rumored that the league's favorite L.A. stadium site was downtown, as a part of 'L.A. Live', and that they were looking to expand some of their west coast operations to nearby offices as well.

If the NFL is acting selfishly, they will pick Farmers Field over Inglewood. If they're acting unselfishly, they will do the same, because the Chargers and Raiders look unable to get fair proposals (by market standards) in their current home markets. This decision also keeps a stubborn mega-rich sometimes-enemy-of-the-league out of their prized market and back in the midwest where he can be controlled.

If, in fact, the Farmers Field option is available (and not still, somehow, under AEG control) and ready to start digging in the next few months....that's the ballgame. The Chargers and Raiders will abandon their home markets and the Carson project, and Stan Kroenke would face a hell of a fight trying to build anything bigger than a mall in Inglewood.

So, who's paying?
I'm glad you asked, because it shows you're smart enough to follow the money.

How does the Farmers Field project make more money for everyone involved?

On February 1, 2011, Farmers Insurance Group announce it had signed a 30-year, $700 million naming rights deal for the stadium, with the stadium to be called Farmers Field. The deal was potentially worth $1 billion if two NFL teams relocated to Farmers Field.

A billion dollars split between the Chargers and Raiders should easily cover a relocation fee, although one may not even be assessed because the NFL is nuts and can say things like "Well, where else were they going to go?" It doesn't hurt their argument that the Chargers and Raiders are probably the two most popular teams in southern California.

When the original Farmers Field deal was announced, and voted on (and approved), the cost was to be $1 billion. It was going to be entirely privately funded. Now, it's probably closer to $1.5 billion, but could still easily be privately funded.

Goldman Sachs, who was going to put up the cash for the Carson stadium project, has more than enough to put up the $1.5 billion loan for this one. Especially when you consider the massive profit that they would likely make on the construction of the Los Angeles Convention Center.

If you wanted to get crazy, you could even throw AEG back into this mix. They could buy a share of the Raiders for a couple hundred millions and work as the operator of the stadium (something they love to do and are very good at), which makes them even more popular and powerful in that area of downtown Los Angeles.

Oh, yeah...the convention center
Remember that crap earlier this week about how Comic-Con wasn't thrilled with San Diego as its host city anymore? Well, that's almost the exact reason that L.A. has been trying to update their convention center for ages.

Help me out if you've found some numbers more detailed than this, but someone once told me that it would cost AEG about $100 million to upgrade the LACC (if done at the same time as the construction of Farmer's Field) and that the city was looking to buy it from them when it was complete for over $400 million. That may be wrong, but they did agree to put $350 million towards adding a new wing if the Farmer's Field project does ever actually die.

That means that not only would San Diego lose the Chargers to Farmer's Field, they could easily lose Comic-Con as well. I have to imagine that would hurt the local economy.

How is this a win for the NFL?
For one, all of the infrastructure and surrounding area is already built to impressive levels.

This isn't Mission Valley or even the edge of downtown where you would have to wait a few years to have a Super Bowl there. The NFL could move the Draft to L.A. Live and host the Super Bowl there every year and not a lot of people would complain.

Now, let's not forget that the NFL does not have stadiums in New York City or Boston or San Francisco or Dallas and you start to realize just how valuable a stadium in downtown Los Angeles might be. It's a hell of a lot sexier than a stadium in Carson, which is akin to what those other cities have done.

This is all speculation, right?
Right!

I don't know anything. None of this is news. Some of it is based off of tips from sources, but most of those are so old that they can barely be considered anything of value at this point. This is simply you living inside my fear-addled mind for a little while.

The fact is, Farmers Field makes the most sense for the Chargers, Raiders, the NFL, and Los Angeles. I had assumed, to this point, that there was some legal reason that it couldn't happen....but if that's true, I'm confused as to why the Chargers and Raiders are meeting with Garcetti.

The problem with all of this, of course, is that San Diego and Oakland lose. But it may be too late to do anything about that

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/6/30/8874631/stadium-talk-its-over-for-san-diego-and-oakland

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It can seem far fetched as all hell but it's not. I'm sure he would have wanted to do something but as a minority owner, he actually must remain largely out of the position of making decisions on team management.

To fire him after allowing him to remain after a 2-14 season that followed on the heals of a 7-9 season that made Spags look like a potentially good coach? Yes.

Neither them nor Stan. It was Shaw making football and organizational decisions. Stan even kept Shaw on for a year as he got his feet wet if I recall correctly. But he got rid of him as he started to rebuild the organization.

To be honest, I thought the same thing. How could an owner with the type of success and money Stan had been building sit back and let all this happen? I talked to my uncle about it. He is very well versed in how this works and happened to be business partners with Al Davis. He actually said it is just like it was with Al. As freaking weird as he was and with all the whacked out things he did, the other owners must, as minority owners, stay out of the management duties. Makes sense that junior wants to sell another minority interest in the team - right? He can garner several million dollars knowing he still won't have another cook in the kitchen.

Stan took over officially late in 2010. He kept the current build in place for one year. He then started the restructuring before the 2012 season. We are essentially heading into year 4 of the overhaul.

And I do care how much money Stan has put into the product. I think most of the recipients of Rams related community outreach would agree. I am even guessing that it will be looked at favorably by his fellow owners. Maybe not but I think it will.
I just have to respectfully disagree on the assumption that a man like Kroenke, who's clearly into the power thing, just sat back was was told "Stan, when we want your input, we'll ask you".

Fact is, neither of us know what was (or was not said) by Kroenke. But, reading about how he operates (he gets what he wants), I'm having a hard time believing he was this outsider and had nothing to do with the decisions that were made (bad decisions).

With all due respect to your uncle, just because it worked that was with Davis (who we know was a control freak), that doesn't mean that's how majority and minority owners always work. I mean, they don't discuss important issues? If the minority owner is very well regarded (as I'm sure Kroenke is), he/she is sumamarily dismissed because - well- them's the rules... you're a minority owner so you get no say? Just don't think it's that iron clad.

The "rules" may say one thing... but basic human interaction when lots of money is involved says another to me.

I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to convince me that Kroenke didn't get a say (regardless of the rules) and shouldn't be held accountable (at least in part) for the dismal record the team has had while he has had a stake in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.