New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iced

Well - it wasn't Reebok's lawsuit IIRR but that doesn't really matter. And it was the NFL itself trying to get the courts to answer in a way that gave them the broad exemption. Why is that? The reason is that they WANT to be looked at as one business for the purpose of being able to enforce their bylaws. That is why the ruling is so important. They lost and the judges ruled that the NFL remained a group of 32 independent businesses operating as a league. Certainly the league has exemptions from certain Anti-Trust laws. But what they were going after was essentially a ruling that said they were one single entity. Why? Probably to be able to actually enforce their bylaws and keep Jeruh from pulling his stunt and to have actual power over the teams when it comes to markets.

only on a merchandising level

they wanted their AT to cover more than just Radio and TV - that's the point.

Also, by having a broad exemption they would have been able to dictate player,coach salaries, etc. something that wouldn't work with the CBA, which at the time they were negotiating.. no way in hell they would get w/ the players union

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Sounds encouraging. Does the plan have actual committed dollars or just the plan? And what about Stan's half?

SD has been talking about it taking a year to get it's stuff together and Oakland is the definition of floundering. Sounds like whatever the league actually prefers it won't have to consider those 2 communities as far as an alternative option. This greatly helps the StL effort IMO.

Maybe we'll find out more about financing after Peacock meets with the NFL this week. Although, I don't know if this is a closed meeting or not.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Sure, but I wouldn't argue its the right thing to do, given there seems to be a decent amount of resistance. If there wasn't then sure, but it seems there is.

It could be education, law enforcement, helping homeless...whatever, if there is "public dollars" being spent people are going to be against it, period.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It could be education, law enforcement, helping homeless...whatever, if there is "public dollars" being spent people are going to be against it, period.

Like the old joke, when someone starts out by saying, "as a taxpayer" they're about to be an asshole.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Well yeah, nobody is saying get 100%, but there's a difference between 5-15% being against something and 40-50%+ being against something.

I believe a vote in St Louis would pass. I'm not so sure about the rest of the state. If it wouldn't pass, or if they don't think it would pass, then the state shouldn't be on the hook.

If there are enough rumblings, and it seems there are right now, then either adjust it so it's only st Louis paying or put it to a vote.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Well yeah, nobody is saying get 100%, but there's a difference between 5-15% being against something and 40-50%+ being against something.

I believe a vote in St Louis would pass. I'm not so sure about the rest of the state. If it wouldn't pass, or if they don't think it would pass, then the state shouldn't be on the hook.

If there are enough rumblings, and it seems there are right now, then either adjust it so it's only st Louis paying or put it to a vote.

That sounds nice. But the simple fact that it is on one side of the state or that it's a stadium/ "corporate welfare" (I fucking hate that BS argument) makes people vote in a fashion that is likened to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

There has been a number of articles showing the net benefit of having the Rams in our state...but people will refuse to look at that and simply be against the idea. And all of this "tax payer money" has been generated through a hotel tax that was put into effect specifically for a stadium. And that is exactly why they are making the needed moves to avoid the vote. They simply don't have the timeline to create a campaign to educate the stubborn on the benefits of moving forward with this.

I've seen enough examples of how this stadium would be a positive. The only negative that is brought up is the public vote argument.

Maybe it goes against my mostly conservative principles, but more than anything I want to see my city/state thrive and I 100% believe keeping the Rams and building this stadium is part of doing that. Screwing around with a vote that would delay the needed process from playing out would be a major mistake. There is one thing that St. Louis/MO has done consistently since I've been able to follow...and that is get in its own way toward progress. This is a chance to do just the opposite.

rams2050

Starter
Someone did the calculations and the stadium would wind up costing each taxpayer in Missouri about $5 per year; if all citizens were factored in, both taxpayers and those who do not pay taxes, the cost is estimated to decline to about $2 per person per year.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That sounds nice. But the simple fact that it is on one side of the state or that it's a stadium/ "corporate welfare" (I freaking hate that BS argument) makes people vote in a fashion that is likened to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

There has been a number of articles showing the net benefit of having the Rams in our state...but people will refuse to look at that and simply be against the idea. And all of this "tax payer money" has been generated through a hotel tax that was put into effect specifically for a stadium. And that is exactly why they are making the needed moves to avoid the vote. They simply don't have the timeline to create a campaign to educate the stubborn on the benefits of moving forward with this.

I've seen enough examples of how this stadium would be a positive. The only negative that is brought up is the public vote argument.

Maybe it goes against my mostly conservative principles, but more than anything I want to see my city/state thrive and I 100% believe keeping the Rams and building this stadium is part of doing that. Screwing around with a vote that would delay the needed process from playing out would be a major mistake. There is one thing that St. Louis/MO has done consistently since I've been able to follow...and that is get in its own way toward progress. This is a chance to do just the opposite.

So would you be okay with spending tax dollars for a Kansas City stadium without even getting a say in the matter? Or would you rather KC pays for it?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So would you be okay with spending tax dollars for a Kansas City stadium without even getting a say in the matter? Or would you rather KC pays for it?

Yes I was fine with it before, and I'm fine with it now. That's why we elect officials, to make decisions. We don't require a vote for every other billionaire businessman who gets something from the state. And this would actually have a benefit beyond the normal. As Sum1 said, this state has a history of shooting itself in the foot. For a state called The Show Me state, we are extremely gullible.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Also, by having a broad exemption they would have been able to dictate player,coach salaries, etc. something that wouldn't work with the CBA, which at the time they were negotiating.. no way in hell they would get w/ the players union
Then why were they seeking it? Go ahead and answer it Iced and then I'll be done. I don't say that because I am irritated or anything - it's more that I think we've killed this horse too many times and we just disagree on the issue at its roots. That's cool and I have actually liked the debate. It's pretty clear that we are not going to agree on this and will just have to wait to see if the question is actually addressed by either Congress or the courts. Personally, I think it is most in the interest of Congress to grand stand and rattle their sabers while doing nothing.

iced

Then why were they seeking it? Go ahead and answer it Iced and then I'll be done. I don't say that because I am irritated or anything - it's more that I think we've killed this horse too many times and we just disagree on the issue at its roots. That's cool and I have actually liked the debate. It's pretty clear that we are not going to agree on this and will just have to wait to see if the question is actually addressed by either Congress or the courts. Personally, I think it is most in the interest of Congress to grand stand and rattle their sabers while doing nothing.

For the reasons I mentioned - getting those broad exemptions.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Randy Karraker · @RandyKarraker
20th Apr 2015 from TwitLonger

CONSTRUCTION MANAGER NAMED

CONSTRUCTION MANAGER NAMED
TO BUILD NFL STADIUM ON NORTH RIVERFRONT IN DOWNTOWN ST. LOUIS

Hunt Construction Group/Clayco to Manage Project in Joint Venture
With St. Louis Firms KAI Design & Build and Legacy Building Group

St. Louis-Based Kwame Building Group to Provide Project Management Services

ST. LOUIS, April 20, 2015 – The St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority (RSA) today named Hunt Construction Group/Clayco as the construction manager to build an NFL stadium on the North Riverfront of downtown St. Louis that could be the new home for the St. Louis Rams.

Hunt/Clayco will lead a joint venture branded as HCKL with St. Louis-based firms KAI Design & Build and Legacy Building Group. As HCKL – the first initials of Hunt, Clayco, KAI and Legacy – the group will report to John Loyd, who was hired as Developer’s Representative to consult on stadium construction and design.

The RSA is working with the task force appointed last year by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon to study and advance plans for the new stadium. The RSA is empowered to acquire, purchase or lease and construct, operate and maintain convention centers, sports stadiums, field houses, indoor and outdoor convention, recreational and entertainment facilities in St. Louis, and it is working in tandem with Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz, the co-leads of Gov. Nixon’s task force.

In addition to the four firms comprising HCKL, St. Louis-based Kwame Building Group will also join the project to provide project management support services.

HCKL was one of three joint ventures which responded in March to Requests for Proposals from the RSA. Presentations and interviews were held earlier this month and the decision to hire HCKL was made last week. The four firms were selected by the RSA.

“HCKL was chosen over two extremely strong proposals from quality companies,” Loyd said. “Hunt has quite a body of work in building NFL stadiums and Clayco has valuable experience working in the past with the RSA and the Rams. We have an excellent construction management team that knows St. Louis, knows the industry and will get the job done on time and on budget, or better.”

Hunt and Clayco’s combined experience includes more than 150 projects in the St. Louis area. Hunt built the new Busch Stadium, which opened in 2006, as well as worked on 13 NFL stadiums including Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis and University of Phoenix Stadium in Phoenix. Clayco built the Rams’ headquarters and training facility in Earth City, Mo.

KAI Design & Build performs architecture, engineering, and program management/construction management services nationwide. Legacy Building Group is a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) firm specializing in industrial and institutional design, among other construction capabilities. Kwame Building Group, also an MBE firm, offers 100 percent of its resources to construction management services, focusing on timelines, budget and quality assurance.
“John Loyd, the HCKL team and Kwame will serve as the foundation for a world-class construction team to help us realize our vision,” Peacock said. “This project is part of the continuing revitalization of St Louis and, therefore, deserves only the best. We will also always be mindful of positioning this project as a real and meaningful opportunity for partners with a firm commitment to a minority workforce that reflects our region.”

Loyd said HKCL will comply with the task force’s mandate of targeting a workforce employing 25 percent MBE contractors, 5 percent woman-owned firms and 3 percent disabled veterans. HCKL will use certified payroll to document minority workforce levels, Loyd added.

Construction of the new stadium would provide jobs that pay competitive wages, creating more than 5,000 construction jobs over a four-year period, in addition to retaining a major regional employer and more than 2,400 game-day jobs.

The task force also announced last week that it has been invited by the National Football League to make a presentation later this week at NFL league headquarters in New York City.

Led by Peacock and Blitz, the task force will meet with league officials and a committee of six NFL owners appointed to oversee the process of exploring the NFL’s potential return to the Los Angeles market. The task force will provide an update to the NFL on stadium design, project schedule and efforts underway in St. Louis.

The task force will refrain from comment until Friday, when it has returned to St. Louis following the meeting in New York.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1slrp99

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Anyone else feel like the tide is actually turning toward St Louis and the Inglewood project is both a fall back and a driving force?

Status
Not open for further replies.