Nelson Spruce; what kind of gold is he?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree and he reminds me of Proehl too.

He reminds me a lot of a young Anquan Boldin. Similar body types being much stronger than they look and able to use it instinctively. Similar hands and ball concentration. Similar crisp route running.

The dude has that ability to scrum his way open like Anquan does. And I also think he's going to respond really well to McVay's coaching and scheme. Just that health man, one injury and he's done and off to pursue a different career, this is gonna be his shot.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the guy just knows what to do when the ball gets in his hands. you can't teach his instincts.

i can't see him getting beat for a spot on the team if he's healthy.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Waterway gold: Can look semi productive working on guys that now work at Waterway.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
2016 Nelson Spruce Preseason Stats

(1 game) Catches 6... Yards 51... TD 1... Longest Catch 16 yards
Thee catches all looked special, I'm pulling for him! But if he can't stay healthy!?!

125dfbbb1bdf15ba7f2b4461641d7903902eca47d82a45dba756579b0164cc3d.jpg

MauiRam

Rookie
He’s certainly got the talent IMO (great hands & concentration), but as others have said – can he stay healthy? He quite possibly may be too fearless for his own good.

For me, the question is whether or not he can stay on the field consistently. Spruce will sell out on every ball thrown to him and catch almost everything - a quarterbacks dream. That said, for him to realize his potential, he’s got to be available. I’m rooting for him big time, but if I had to bet on it, I’d likely look around for another bet.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spruce never missed a game in four years at Colorado. He gets IR'd with one injury when he gets to the Rams and that makes him injury prone?

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I considered Spruce a Gold Member, a guy who can contribute when he's healthy and available. And he can play within the right scheme of things.

But if his body does not hold up the constant hits from Safeties and Linebackers, then he's fools gold.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Spruce is NOT injury prone. After the initial injury last year, he just wasn't right and they tried to bring him back to early. ....then it became a numbers game. Let's wait and see who they bring in and then let the competition on the field play itself out. It's a whole new ball game for everyone this year

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He is gold in the river. That has yet to be mined. He has no value without use.

I feel that WHEN he gets his chance, he will be a hell of a receiver

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
Flawed Gold....It all depends on his knee, but he struggled to stay healthy in college so IMHO, he's more flawed.

False. Where did you get that? Everything I've read about him says this was his first football injury ever, then I read your comment. So I looked at game stats for his four seasons myself. Spruce did not miss a single game in college. Makes sense, because you don't break the all-time Pac 12 receptions record by not being on the field. You must have him confused with someone else.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
False. Where did you get that? Everything I've read about him says this was his first football injury ever, then I read your comment. So I looked at game stats for his four seasons myself. Spruce did not miss a single game in college. Makes sense, because you don't break the all-time Pac 12 receptions record by not being on the field. You must have him confused with someone else.

Very Good post, here is my rational for being worried about his durability. In Hard Knocks his father kept asking him about his knee and supposedly, it was just a knee sprain, but I just don't feel his dad would keep asking about it, if it was not a concern previously.

He's slightly built and reminds me of Danny Amendola and I feel that will be an issue for him moving forward...Hope I'm wrong, but I have nothing to support my flawed reference besides just good old fashion common sense and I hope I'm dead wrong.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
He's slightly built and reminds me of Danny Amendola and I feel that will be an issue for him moving forward...Hope I'm wrong, but I have nothing to support my flawed reference besides just good old fashion common sense and I hope I'm dead wrong.
A quick slot-receiver type that every team needs — I'd call Spruce a poor mans Proehl or Amendola,just as athletic as either and quite a bit more size. At 6-foot-1, 203 pounds, Spuce has the size and strength to fight through press coverage and make difficult catches over the middle.Has large, 10-inch hands, the same size as Odell Beckham Jr.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At 6-foot-1, 203 pounds, Spuce has the size and strength to fight through press coverage and make difficult catches over the middle.Has large, 10-inch hands, the same size as Odell Beckham Jr.

Looking forward to him playing his first game and making his first catch.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Why all the love for Spruce? I mean what he put on the field was pretty good, but it wasn't against starting quality players. I do look forward to see him playing and catching the ball. Are we so jaded with the drops that we get enamored by someone whom can actually catch the ball?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spruce represents much of was wrong under Fisher. Hurt his knee in game 1 of pre-season and didn't hit IR until middle of November, held a roster spot on the final 53 the whole time. So he played great for 1 quarter and wins a roster spot while Goff played poorly in the same game and couldn't get out of the dog house.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was not that impressed with him. He played against similar scrubs and did ok for a quarter. Since he is on the roster I give him a chance in camp but there better be about 10 or 12 guys at his level or higher if this offense is going anywhere in 2017.

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
Why all the love for Spruce? I mean what he put on the field was pretty good, but it wasn't against starting quality players. I do look forward to see him playing and catching the ball. Are we so jaded with the drops that we get enamored by someone whom can actually catch the ball?

Isn't that the point? Or would you prefer a Chris Carter who only catches touchdowns?