Nelson Spruce; what kind of gold is he?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So after watching this I have a question.

Why didn't he see the field at all last year?

Was he out with an injury the entire season?

I'd keep him, it costs nothing.

He injured himself at the end of this game and it took him part way into the season to get healthy and then got hurt halfway through the year. By the time we started playing rookies like Cooper and would have played him he was on IR.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The practice squad/IR guy I'm curious to see if he develops is Marquez North.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love Spruce's potential. It probably is partly due to being a huge Amendola fan while he was a Ram. Plus the Rams have lacked receivers that can run good routes, and even more so with good hands. Spruce gets a check in both boxes. However, if he can't stay healthy he can't really develop into a productive Ram.

I am pulling for him. I am sick of watching physically gifted guys that don't play hard, or work to be good at their craft. When I see a receiver that has learned to run routes, can concentrate and catch passes, and can be productive despite not having the elite measurable, I tend to root for them.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I really hope he can be the next Wed Welker. Stay healthy kid and you could get some serious playing time.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Maybe a bit of each, but honestly I lean towards fools gold.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Spruce is a depth possession option. I don't think it's fair to him to hang all manner of hopes on him. At this point he has to make the final roster and do what he did so much of in college: run crisp routes and catch the ball. The dude might be able to play in this league and as it stands right now he's one of the better fits for what McVay covets. Receivers need to be exact depth on their routes now. Nelson's gonna have an advantage there if he can stay healthy this season.

Oh and re: him having a history of injury, he played in a lot of games in college. I don't view him as a chronic injury type provided he returns and continues what he did at the previous level. There are a lot of wideouts who carved out careers at this level as possession options without ideal talent. He could be one of them, just gotta wait and see if he's willing to do the work.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know. He's gotta stay healthy for us to find out. Looks like a guy who could be a productive slot WR, but if he's not available, he's not doing anything for us.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
1 quarter (4th) of the first pre-season game, he's the biggest unknown as a player.
That's it, in a nutshell. It's just too small of a sampling to really know what they've got in Spruce.

There was a lot to like from that highlight vid (thanks for posting that, DYVKX) -- really nice hands and a nose for the first-down stick. That was encouraging, for sure.

But you also have to remember that he was doing that in Preseason Week 1 in the 4th Quarter....ie, against defensive personnel who, for the most part, didn't make the Cowboys' final 53.

Yeah, I hope he comes back healthy this year and shows us some more of that. Ultimately, I want to see if a healthy Spruce cracks the final 53.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Lots of average or worse players can have decent preseason performances. IMO, Spruce didn't rightfully earn a spot on this roster last year. He should be cut if he can't stay healthy or can't reproduce the Dallas game this preseason.

Zero

Pro Bowler
If healthy Spruce can be a solid contributor for the Rams.
He makes up for his lack of athletic ability with good route running.
and knows how to turn a 50/50 ball into a reception.He could
excel in McVays offfense which will scheme receivers open.
(Really guys, it's not a myth. Scheming someone open actually exists.
Check your history books.It happened during the Martz era.)

That being said the guy I am most excited about is Pharoh.
I think he will breakout for 6-8 hundred this year.A sure handed
3rd down option.We will still need to find a true #1 to make it happen.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

Went looking for his preseason highlights and found this video of his targets from then. He definitely has talent, I'd like to see him get a chance

I thought I was watching Bradford throwing to Amendola for a minute - If he can stay healthy, and turn out to be an Amendola 'Get Out of Jail Free' type of player for our QB then that's a good thing to have on your team - he doesn't look like a burner, just someone you can count on for those yucky essential yards.

I thought Mannion looked good there too :)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
He looks like a good receiver, and it kills me that he's got the injuries.

I don't really "root" for him per se. By that I mean I want the Rams to have reliable, tough, smart receivers, and I don't care if their last names are spruce, or oak, or walnut. But this guy just looks like he can be an amendola-level contributor, and that's something we could use.

So, to answer the OP and torture the metaphor, I think he's betting gold. You take your chances on his health; you might lose, you might win big.

I like spruce he has Amendola written all over him. I'm not too concerned about the injury it didn't require surgery.

I saw Danny A in him too.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If he can stay on the field I think he is gold. I like him in the slot and think he is the best slot guy currently on the roster. Now he needs to prove it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spruce "injury history?" He played in every game for Colorado from his freshman year to his senior year. Never missed a game in 4 years. Averaged over 10 yds a catch. Most rec yds for Colorado WR.

Chances are he gets a lot of playing time this pre-season. Go look at his college game film on YouTube, He looks just like Welker and Amendola. Crisp routes, sure hands and a nose for the 1st down marker. A "football smart" p layer. I like his chances to make the team again.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Same gold as on their helmets

fools

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pure gold? Or fools gold? Maybe somewhere in between?

The Rams may want a fresh break from Britt and Quick. If nothing else because this staff may see the position differently and/or might want to move players just to change the culture and feel around the team.

So, our current guys behind Britt and Quick seem to be key in solving what the squad looks like as we go into a new offense.

Spruce is an interesting guy, but he also feels like the guy everyone is rooting for... and maybe just doesn't have the speed or differentiation of skills to perform at this level. But, I also am impressed by his hands and route potential? I have no clue.

I've seen us fall in love with these kind of tier guys; Stedman Bailey, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, Keenan Burton, etc.

I guess the simple answer is; let him battle it out in camp and go from there. And... I doubt anyone sees him as more than a depth guy at this point and certainly not a replacement to the top spots.

Just curious if anyone thinks we know more than we did beyond last preseason?

Keenan Burton was more like D. Alexander. They were both excellent WR , but had bad knees. If not both would have had very good careers

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Danario Alexander all the talent, but knees that were duct taped together.
Hopefully Spruce will get a fair shot to see if he is Fool's Gold or a Diamond in the Rough.