Nelson Spruce; what kind of gold is he?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pure gold? Or fools gold? Maybe somewhere in between?

The Rams may want a fresh break from Britt and Quick. If nothing else because this staff may see the position differently and/or might want to move players just to change the culture and feel around the team.

So, our current guys behind Britt and Quick seem to be key in solving what the squad looks like as we go into a new offense.

Spruce is an interesting guy, but he also feels like the guy everyone is rooting for... and maybe just doesn't have the speed or differentiation of skills to perform at this level. But, I also am impressed by his hands and route potential? I have no clue.

I've seen us fall in love with these kind of tier guys; Stedman Bailey, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, Keenan Burton, etc.

I guess the simple answer is; let him battle it out in camp and go from there. And... I doubt anyone sees him as more than a depth guy at this point and certainly not a replacement to the top spots.

Just curious if anyone thinks we know more than we did beyond last preseason?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know anymore than you do CGI, But I like what I saw from him last pre-season! I hope he's working on his strength and conditioning and can WOW the coaches this pre-season and make the starting line-up!!(y);):D

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Flawed Gold....It all depends on his knee, but he struggled to stay healthy in college so IMHO, he's more flawed.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Went looking for his preseason highlights and found this video of his targets from then. He definitely has talent, I'd like to see him get a chance

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not impressed by anyone, really. It may be a little unfair to say, but even Britt is "just a guy" to me, although better than the other Rams WR's. We can say that because of marginal QB play, this affected WR play and production, which I tend to agree with. QB and RB production are greatly affected by poor Oline play.....and poor Oline play can be because the QB holds onto the ball too long and poor RB play can be because of poor vision by the RB's and inability to "hit the hole" when it's briefly open.

All i know is that I am tired of excuses, like those above. Just freakin do it, Rams Offense, no more excuses. very few players are untouchable, so produce or hit the bricks.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
He looks like a good receiver, and it kills me that he's got the injuries.

I don't really "root" for him per se. By that I mean I want the Rams to have reliable, tough, smart receivers, and I don't care if their last names are spruce, or oak, or walnut. But this guy just looks like he can be an amendola-level contributor, and that's something we could use.

So, to answer the OP and torture the metaphor, I think he's betting gold. You take your chances on his health; you might lose, you might win big.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like Spruce as a depth receiver along with Cooper and Thomas.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fools gold...

or if you wash him

that green stuff fake gold turns into.

Seriously....he gets one more chance...lets see.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought the Rams made a great UDFA pickup with him
I thought we found something in him in that PS game
Since that game it was a disaster
He might have made the team, he may not have. Somehow that one game earned him a spot on the 53. Crazy really. Typical Rams mismanagement of the offensive personnel. The kid earns a spot on the 53 and cant even suit up until they IR'd him in the middle of November. They should have stashed him away long before that, like in August.
As for this year? Who knows. He gets an invite to camp, but should be facing some serous competition for a roster spot

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So much promise then he couldn't get on the field. He looks like he can play but he's of no use on the sideline. Hopefully he can stay healthy and compete for a spot on the roster.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Spruce in the 2016 preseason was fools gold. Most of us had expectations for him as a rotational slot receiver in 2016 but he showed himself to be fragile. If he has any kind of injury issues in camp or in the 2017 preseason, he needs to be cut.

The Rams don't have enough talent or depth at the WR position to give guys like Nelson Spruce any extra slack. He needs to show up and be durable, or he can pack his bags in 2017.

2016 Nelson Spruce Preseason Stats

(1 game) Catches 6... Yards 51... TD 1... Longest Catch 16 yards. (injured knee never played again in 2016)

durability.png

0ap3000000685111_video_cp.jpg

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Hands Hands Hands

I read and watched a lot about Spruce. Local guy that just produced. Didn't get much separation but, does need it either. Jeez I like to see him get on the field. If he gets and stays healthy I think he contributes.

Nelson Spruce is unmined gold or is that unmineable gold.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Went looking for his preseason highlights and found this video of his targets from then. He definitely has talent, I'd like to see him get a chance

So after watching this I have a question.

Why didn't he see the field at all last year?

Was he out with an injury the entire season?

I'd keep him, it costs nothing.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
This is frustrating. He played one preseason game where he blew everyone away then is injured for the rest of the year. I'd give him as many chances as I can this preseason, because this talk about how good Spruce might be is g(etting)old!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like spruce he has Amendola written all over him. I'm not too concerned about the injury it didn't require surgery.