My Questions After PS Week 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
FWIW, I'd like to see Givens get some time with Bradford and the other 1's. I think he's had bad luck with Austin Davis and all those third stringers, particularly when Hooey was in at LT and Davis had no time to throw at all vs. the Packers. The one ball that went to Givens was severely under-thrown.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
FWIW, I'd like to see Givens get some time with Bradford and the other 1's. I think he's had bad luck with Austin Davis and all those third stringers, particularly when Hooey was in at LT and Davis had no time to throw at all vs. the Packers. The one ball that went to Givens was severely under-thrown.
There's a reason he has been getting 2nd and 3rd unit reps, and this goes all the way back to OTAs. He has been passed up by at least 4 WRs in the rotation, and they all can serve the same purpose as Givens and then some. You don't have to have 4.3 speed to get behind the secondary, (Bruce and Holt proved that), and BOTH Quick and Britt do many more things better than Givens. As does Bailey. Austin fits a different role, but is still ahead of Givens any way you look at it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not sure why anyone would debate which appendage is the issue with Saffold. He's just injury prone in general. It's not like he was miraculously rebuilt in the offseason.

What has happened with Givens? Brian Quick, Steadman Bailey and Kenny Britt.
Other WR's have simply stepped up and developed. IMO it's just a numbers game right now.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The way the college game is nowadays, I'd say that receiving TEs that struggle blocking are a dime a dozen.
So if something happens to Cook does Kendrick move into the flex TE role and someone else fills in as the inline traditional TE? Wouldn't that weaken two positions? Or would it be better just to weaken one? That's the decision. It's really two separate positions.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Isn't Saffold's issue with his wrist?

It was incorrectly reported by Wagoner the day he got hurt, that he "thought" it looked like a wrist injury. He suffered a what was then reported as a stinger. I suspect is was more of a strain, based on what I saw and how they tried to place it in a sling soon after it happened. A stinger is not gonna keep him off the field for over a week. I would imagine he along with Long, will both be back in the lineup come Saturday.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
1) Why is Carrington getting so few snaps (21 vs. NO, 12 vs. GB)? Is he considered a lock to make the team or is he hurt/nursing an injury or something?

2) Were the Raiders doctors right about Saffold's shoulder?

3) Can Davin Joseph play any position besides RG? As I recall, Dahl could play RT in a pinch.

4) Alex Bayer vs. Justice Cunningham? How does the better blocker not win a possible 4th TE spot?

5) Will the Rams be able to justify Austin Pettis being the 5th or 6th WR with him being due the 2nd highest base salary this season at WR?

6) What in the world has happened to Chris Givens? I thought he was supposed to be more focused this year?

7) Is there a veteran LB available to push Ray Ray Armstrong back to being the 5th or 6th LB/special teamer on the roster?

8) Has the media asked about the status of William Hayes lately? Just how far off is he from being able to go?

9) Am I the only one who has yet to see anything from Conrath that would warrant the opportunities he keeps getting?

10) Is it just me, or is anyone else more concerned about the defense than the offense?

1. They probably know what they have in him; preseason is about evaluating rookies and 2nd year guys.

2. Nah; they were just laughed at that insane contract.

3. No...he's a guard. But he could be an emergency tackle.

4. I think this is a wash; one of them will be a PS, the other who makes the team will be inactive. They'll take the guy who's the better pass catcher, blocking TEs come and go.

5. I disagree, they'll keep him b/c he's a good player. Labels like "#1, #2, etc. complicates things more than they have to.

6. We'll see. He's part of the 4 WR plan they brought in; if Brian Quick can continue to get chances, Chris Givens will too. This is a player who really is in a "make or break" year.

7. No, b/c that'll take up a roster spot.

8. Probably not; I'd imagine he'd be ready game 1. I'm not too worried about it.

9. IDK he's made the team 2 years in a row, so the coaches know something. But I doubt he'll be anything more than a depth guy.

10. Nah. The 1st 2 games weren't even full time players on defense. Not worried one bit.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
So if something happens to Cook does Kendrick move into the flex TE role and someone else fills in as the inline traditional TE? Wouldn't that weaken two positions? Or would it be better just to weaken one? That's the decision. It's really two separate positions.
Harkey man. Underrated in my book. Could seal the edge or just as easily go out for an underneath route, no one ever notices him lol

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good post, Memphis.

1) Why is Carrington getting so few snaps (21 vs. NO, 12 vs. GB)? Is he considered a lock to make the team or is he hurt/nursing an injury or something?

I was wondering the same. I assume it's because he's a lock.

I think the Raiders were right that's he's injured. He always is. It's on Saffold to prove otherwise.

3) Can Davin Joseph play any position besides RG? As I recall, Dahl could play RT in a pinch.

It doesn't look like it.

4) Alex Bayer vs. Justice Cunningham? How does the better blocker not win a possible 4th TE spot?

Personally, with Kendricks contract coming due. I keep the highest upside, which looks like Bayer.

5) Will the Rams be able to justify Austin Pettis being the 5th or 6th WR with him being due the 2nd highest base salary this season at WR?

I think Pettis is safe, all the way.

6) What in the world has happened to Chris Givens? I thought he was supposed to be more focused this year?

I have no clue and put a topic up on this subject a week+ ago. I think he's maxed out, I guess.

7) Is there a veteran LB available to push Ray Ray Armstrong back to being the 5th or 6th LB/special teamer on the roster?

We need LB help. Maybe we can trade some DL depth to fill it.

8) Has the media asked about the status of William Hayes lately? Just how far off is he from being able to go?

The media in STL is HORRIBLE asking for this type of info. Horrible!

9) Am I the only one who has yet to see anything from Conrath that would warrant the opportunities he keeps getting?

If they cut Conrath I dont think I'd even notice.

10) Is it just me, or is anyone else more concerned about the defense than the offense?

I'm not worried about the D. If there is vanilla going on... It's more on D than O in my opinion.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
They played last year though, My overall point is/was that over the last 3 years we have improved but marginally and the guys making the biggest impacts on this team are holdovers. The players drafted by Fisher and Snead have not shown any indicated a big leap is going to be taken, with the exception of possibly Quick. I know its early but give me the player(s) that will take the next big leap based on what you have seen at camp and the preseason games?

Just seems like things seem real average right now and we should not be in year 3 watching average still.

Brockers had a very good year last year. He's never going to be Warren Sapp and rack up the sacks. That's not his game and that's not his most important responsibility. Robert Quinn doesn't have the season he does without Brockers.

How much can we blame on Janoris and Tru? The scheme last year was terrible and played to their weaknesses.

As you said, it looks like Quick is finally starting to get it. Givens seems like a lost cause though.

Austin improved as last year went on. Ogletree improved as last year went on. Zac Stacy looks like a beast. Stedman Bailey looks like a keeper.

By definition 7-9 is pretty average, but I'm going to give our 2012 class a third year and last years class a second year to show something before my stomach starts to turn.

You've been hanging out at that other board too much. ;)

lockdnram21

Legend
Some good questions. I don't have the answers to all of them. I agree with 12 that I would rather have a good RG only come off the bench than a marginal versatile guy. Saffold is our mr versatile. I think Givens makes the team, but he may not dress much. Pettis will make the team. He provides situational value, should never be a starter though. I haven't been excited by our backup DTs and I wish we had a bigger backup DT behind Brockers. We are pretty undersized at that position. It has shown in the run game. Ray Ray isn't ready to start at LB, he may never be.

After watching preseason, we will need to address the offensive line, LB, and S positions in the draft.

I actually think safeties have been ok

Rambition

Rookie
Ray Ray isn't ready to start at LB, he may never be.
if they decide to cut him, i hope they can find another player with a double first name. take mine, for example. how cool would it be to have a player named Ken Ken?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think they need to continue drafting for the offensive line next year, as well as a linebacker.

No doubt another tackle would be nice as our depth has been exposed. All in all this team has improves over last year and I would agree that any starters with small injuries just need to get healthy.

Not worried about the offensive line assuming Long and Saffold are out there for the Vikings.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Brockers had a very good year last year. He's never going to be Warren Sapp and rack up the sacks. That's not his game and that's not his most important responsibility. Robert Quinn doesn't have the season he does without Brockers.

How much can we blame on Janoris and Tru? The scheme last year was terrible and played to their weaknesses.

As you said, it looks like Quick is finally starting to get it. Givens seems like a lost cause though.

Austin improved as last year went on. Ogletree improved as last year went on. Zac Stacy looks like a beast. Stedman Bailey looks like a keeper.

By definition 7-9 is pretty average, but I'm going to give our 2012 class a third year and last years class a second year to show something before my stomach starts to turn.

You've been hanging out at that other board too much. ;)

Are you arguing with me again just to argue :sneaky: I am giving them the 3rd year too. You know from the other board, I have been calling this a playoff year, I am more optimistic than most this year. Maybe the other board has me questioning what I have seen so far and I need to stick with my gut.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Questions
Carrington played heavy in the first game, his performance was very poor....Packer game... in the few snaps he did get his play has not improved.

Highly Most Likely, Raiders team doctors said his shoulder would need surgery immediately. This Raider team needed OL'ers in the worse kind of way voided the contract real fast.That concern may be due to the two injury events Saffold has had with that same shoulder. First back November 18th,2010 & the other was on August 8th,2013. First pre season game first set Saffold was injured with a dislocated shoulder! Saffold missed all pre season basically. He made it through a very rough first regular season game then was hurt very early in game two & was never able to win back his ORT post. Due to injury of Harvey & egg laid by Shelley he was able to drop down into the ORG post where the demands on OL shoulders is somewhat lessened. Now Saffold went down with that same shoulder again before the hitting even started....It would not surprise me if Saffold goes IR before the season is out with a pending shoulder surgery.

3) Can Davin Joseph play any position besides RG?
In the NFL he has always played ORG...yes 1 single post however Davin started at left guard (11 games), right guard (27) and left tackle (1) during his career in college, better suited for strong-side guard, where his combination of power and quickness allow him to be effective on short pulls and trapI would think that if an emergency appeared he has the smarts & know-how to flip left or even do a ORT for a small period of time like Harvey Dahl did.

With two excellent blocking H-backs like Harkey & Kendricks is there really a need for one on the master roster & do you remove Cory or Lance off the field to insert Justice? If the Rams go short on WR's on the master roster (I think they will) with Cook being more & more involved with the push the ball down the field with the WR's... Bayer with those very nice sticky hands of his could be needed. Cunningham could survive for a period of time on the PS like last year whereas a pass catcher like Bayer will not. If a injury to Lance or Cory would bring in Justice immediate, If the Rams go with Britt/Quick/Austin/Pettis, Bayer IMO is the next best pass catcher with exception of Cook for Sam to get the ball into.

5) Rams be able to justify Austin Pettis being the 5th or 6th WR with him being due the 2nd highest base salary this season at WR?
Just till Stedman Bailey returns after his suspension.

6) What in the world has happened to Chris Givens? I thought he was supposed to be more focused this year?(n)

Zero information provided. Might be headed for the IR to return spot not sure if he would fit into the PUP.

Matt's play is very close to the play of Carrington, neither have shown anything close to what is needed in the middle.After two games I see nothing that makes me think either deserve a roster spot. Issue is with Hayes slow to come around after numerous off seasons surgeries the Brockers injury & the eggs laid by Carrington & Conrath thus far its a bit unsettling in run defense.

Last edited: