My Questions After PS Week 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
My feelings are they still view Armstrong as an athlete who is here for his Special Teams contributions. While I agree that the depth at LB seems to be a concern, everyone who have clamored that Armstrong "will push Dunbar"for reps this year are seeing what I have been saying all along. He just is not ready to be a 3 down LB.
@CoachO - Are we seeing the same level of performance in PS games as you see in practice?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO - Are we seeing the same level of performance in PS games as you see in practice?
Pretty much,,, inconsistent at best,,, I have never questioned his athleticism, just his discipline. And that lack of discipline (assignment discipline) is showing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
if they decide to cut him, i hope they can find another player with a double first name. take mine, for example. how cool would it be to have a player named Ken Ken?
I once knew a guy/kid named Ken-Ken...He was a nice RB too....

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Are you arguing with me again just to argue :sneaky: I am giving them the 3rd year too. You know from the other board, I have been calling this a playoff year, I am more optimistic than most this year. Maybe the other board has me questioning what I have seen so far and I need to stick with my gut.

Not every discussion has to be an argument Boston. Just saying what I see.

The weird thing is, as far as the record goes, I think you may be more optimistic than me, though it seems I feel more strongly about the talent level of the team.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
4) Alex Bayer vs. Justice Cunningham? How does the better blocker not win a possible 4th TE spot?

With two excellent blocking H-backs like Harkey & Kendricks is there really a need for one on the master roster & do you remove Cory or Lance off the field to insert Justice? If the Rams go short on WR's on the master roster (I think they will) with Cook being more & more involved with the push the ball down the field with the WR's... Bayer with those very nice sticky hands of his could be needed. Cunningham could survive for a period of time on the PS like last year whereas a pass catcher like Bayer will not. If a injury to Lance or Cory would bring in Justice immediate, If the Rams go with Britt/Quick/Austin/Pettis, Bayer IMO is the next best pass catcher with exception of Cook for Sam to get the ball into.

Excellent blocking H-Backs? IMO, that depends upon the block. For all the love that Kendricks gets as a blocker (and he's good on those wham blocks and setting the edge), he's never been that good as a lead blocker going into the hole from the FB spot.

I see it differently. If the plan it still to go with this run-first play action offense, then Cunningham seems like the best option. If Cook goes down in-game, Kendricks can step into Cook's role and Cunningham can step into Kendricks role. Cunningham should be able to cover for Kendricks and Harkey, if they went down too. Bayer cannot.

And IMO, the way the college game has evolved there are plenty of pass catching WRs in TEs bodies to be had. Your Mike McNeills, Chase Coffmans, Michael Egnews, Ben Guiduglis, Ryan Hewitts, Ryan Ottens, etc...

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Excellent blocking H-Backs? IMO, that depends upon the block. For all the love that Kendricks gets as a blocker (and he's good on those wham blocks and setting the edge), he's never been that good as a lead blocker going into the hole from the FB spot.

I see it differently. If the plan it still to go with this run-first play action offense, then Cunningham seems like the best option. If Cook goes down in-game, Kendricks can step into Cook's role and Cunningham can step into Kendricks role. Cunningham should be able to cover for Kendricks and Harkey, if they went down too. Bayer cannot.

And IMO, the way the college game has evolved there are plenty of pass catching WRs in TEs bodies to be had. Your Mike McNeills, Chase Coffmans, Michael Egnews, Ben Guiduglis, Ryan Hewitts, Ryan Ottens, etc...

I have a much better opinion of Kendricks role in the blocking game than you Memphis....Kendricks best game is not filling in for Jared Cook those would be hard shoe's for Kendricks to fill thus the reason we signed Jared in the first place to replace Kendricks in the passing role. Where I am with you fully here is on Justice Cunningham could fill the role of a Harkey or a Kendrick easy over time. On Bayer I consider & see him to be better than those 6 examples you gave.

Two more pre season games left for either Bayer or Cunningham to fight it out....that decision will be made after the 4th pre season game. Good ten questions Memphis(y)

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The fourth TE spot may way very well boil down to who ever offers more on special teams. My guess is Cunningham makes the final 53 because he is better insurance in case Harkey gets hurt and he does more on special teams. Bayer should be a strong candidate for the PS.

A320driver

Rookie
The fourth TE spot may way very well boil down to who ever offers more on special teams. My guess is Cunningham makes the final 53 because he is better insurance in case Harkey gets hurt and he does more on special teams. Bayer should be a strong candidate for the PS.

I think Bayer looks like more of a receiver type of TE than a blocking type..In fact I am not sure if he's a good run blocker, or pass pro guy either? WTBS, does Cunningham posses more of the skill set required to be a contributor on ST?

*But most importantly the one thing that usually breaks a guy out on ST is his agility,wreck less abandon for his body, and pure desire. From my experience that guy is on every team in the league!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, I'm sure the doctors were right about Saffold in Oakland. I can't see how a competent team doctor wouldn't be able to provide a valid risk/reward analysis with Saffold. Plus, we all know that he's been having problems in that area.
Boy, I sure as heck hope this isn't true!

Indeed. What HAS happened with Givens?
What another member said... you can't always believe what the players (or coaches, for that matter) say... it's got to translate to the field. It's pre-season, so we'll see if Givens shows us something in the next two games.

I'm not worried about the O or D yet until I can see them all playing together as starting units. The depth is a little scary right now, but I'm hoping there won't be a need to tap that depth during the regular season. These next two games might give us a clearer picture.
I agree.

But, I would like to have seen a few "chocolate" plays out of the defense. Just a few stunts... a couple blitzes. This thing about being all secretive? If you're schemes are good and your athletes are superior, even if the opponent knows what's coming, they shouldn't be able to stop it. Don't need to hide everything ;)

I would like to see a few wrinkles thrown in there. Relying on "flipping the switch" is always scary to me.

Those first three games are critical. The switch needs to be on full power and the team ready and rolling!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But, I would like to have seen a few "chocolate" plays out of the defense. Just a few stunts... a couple blitzes. This thing about being all secretive? If you're schemes are good and your athletes are superior, even if the opponent knows what's coming, they shouldn't be able to stop it. Don't need to hide everything ;)

I would like to see a few wrinkles thrown in there. Relying on "flipping the switch" is always scary to me.

Those first three games are critical. The switch needs to be on full power and the team ready and rolling!!
I don't know if they're being secretive, in as much as they're just in strict evaluation mode right now and haven't necessarily employed a scheme yet. I think they might in game 3 and 4 though. Not entirely of course, but possibly enough to give you what you wanna see.