My Questions After PS Week 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
1) Why is Carrington getting so few snaps (21 vs. NO, 12 vs. GB)? Is he considered a lock to make the team or is he hurt/nursing an injury or something?

2) Were the Raiders doctors right about Saffold's shoulder?

3) Can Davin Joseph play any position besides RG? As I recall, Dahl could play RT in a pinch.

4) Alex Bayer vs. Justice Cunningham? How does the better blocker not win a possible 4th TE spot?

5) Will the Rams be able to justify Austin Pettis being the 5th or 6th WR with him being due the 2nd highest base salary this season at WR?

6) What in the world has happened to Chris Givens? I thought he was supposed to be more focused this year?

7) Is there a veteran LB available to push Ray Ray Armstrong back to being the 5th or 6th LB/special teamer on the roster?

8) Has the media asked about the status of William Hayes lately? Just how far off is he from being able to go?

9) Am I the only one who has yet to see anything from Conrath that would warrant the opportunities he keeps getting?

10) Is it just me, or is anyone else more concerned about the defense than the offense?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
1) Why is Carrington getting so few snaps (21 vs. NO, 12 vs. GB)? Is he considered a lock to make the team or is he hurt/nursing an injury or something?

2) Were the Raiders doctors right about Saffold's shoulder?

3) Can Davin Joseph play any position besides RG? As I recall, Dahl could play RT in a pinch.

4) Alex Bayer vs. Justice Cunningham? How does the better blocker not win a possible 4th TE spot?

5) Will the Rams be able to justify Austin Pettis being the 5th or 6th WR with him being due the 2nd highest base salary this season at WR?

6) What in the world has happened to Chris Givens? I thought he was supposed to be more focused this year?

7) Is there a veteran LB available to push Ray Ray Armstrong back to being the 5th or 6th LB/special teamer on the roster?

8) Has the media asked about the status of William Hayes lately? Just how far off is he from being able to go?

9) Am I the only one who has yet to see anything from Conrath that would warrant the opportunities he keeps getting?

10) Is it just me, or is anyone else more concerned about the defense than the offense?

1) I have had him as a lock to make the roster all along, but I'll admit it was more from what he has shown in Buffalo that what I have seen in games 1 and 2. I do think he held his positioning pretty well in the few snaps we have seen.

2) Let's hope not. I think with injuries the Rams just do not push at all in the pre season and there are certain guys who they are going to be extra careful with.

3). Right guard is it for Joseph. While versatility is a huge trait along most of this line, I'd rather have a guy play RG really well than have one play RG and RT marginally.

4). I think you are right. Despite game one, I put Cunningham on the inside track.

5) I don't think the $$ is the determining factor - but I do think Pettis is in a fight with Givens to still be on this team come week 5. One of those two is likely gone.

6) Saying you are coming in w a focus and actually focusing appear to be two different things. Limited route tree has caught up w him.

7) no one comes to mind - and he has not looked ready to play defensive snaps yet but this is only his 2nd year as a linebacker. Absent injury, not even the 4th LB will see the field in this defense anyway.

8). See #2 but they do seem unusually quiet on him. Fortunately, it's one of our deepest positions.

9). Conrath has the size and strength of an NFL DT, but I think his chances of making the team are dwindling.

10). I am concerned with both - at this point though, nothing has me more concerned than the O Line. I like each of the 5 pieces along the starting line and I like the 6th man in - but I would really like to see them gel a bit. Brockers, JL55, and JJ are going to make a big difference out there on D.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't answer some of those, but I will share your concerns on a few.

Yes, I'm sure the doctors were right about Saffold in Oakland. I can't see how a competent team doctor wouldn't be able to provide a valid risk/reward analysis with Saffold. Plus, we all know that he's been having problems in that area.

I'd rather keep the better blocker who can sneak out on a 5-yard curl than another pass-catching TE who isn't as good a blocker.

I don't know if salary is gonna be an issue with Pettis. But if they can fit him in, he's worth keeping for his token clutch catches.

Indeed. What HAS happened with Givens?

I'm not worried about the O or D yet until I can see them all playing together as starting units. The depth is a little scary right now, but I'm hoping there won't be a need to tap that depth during the regular season. These next two games might give us a clearer picture.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Yes and I know people will say things are vanilla and all. But my concern is with players like Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson to name a quick few. I mention these specifically because this is year 3 and how much have they improved if at all. Everything after 2 games feels just like last year. Same results, same intensity.....everything just feels the same. Against GB in the first half we played way off on their receivers and let them pick us apart....kind of like last year for a while. If we are being honest our defense has been terrible. I know its early and there is time to improve, I just hope I start to see a little improvement soon.

FRO

Legend
Some good questions. I don't have the answers to all of them. I agree with 12 that I would rather have a good RG only come off the bench than a marginal versatile guy. Saffold is our mr versatile. I think Givens makes the team, but he may not dress much. Pettis will make the team. He provides situational value, should never be a starter though. I haven't been excited by our backup DTs and I wish we had a bigger backup DT behind Brockers. We are pretty undersized at that position. It has shown in the run game. Ray Ray isn't ready to start at LB, he may never be.

After watching preseason, we will need to address the offensive line, LB, and S positions in the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes and I know people will say things are vanilla and all. But my concern is with players like Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson to name a quick few. I mention these specifically because this is year 3 and how much have they improved if at all. Everything after 2 games feels just like last year. Same results, same intensity.....everything just feels the same. Against GB in the first half we played way off on their receivers and let them pick us apart....kind of like last year for a while. If we are being honest our defense has been terrible. I know its early and there is time to improve, I just hope I start to see a little improvement soon.

Fisher said that they have been very vanilla on defense and will start to turn it up for the next PS game. I would prefer that even playing a vanilla game plan that they hold up a bit better than they have. Injuries do matter though.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Some good questions. I don't have the answers to all of them. I agree with 12 that I would rather have a good RG only come off the bench than a marginal versatile guy. Saffold is our mr versatile. I think Givens makes the team, but he may not dress much. Pettis will make the team. He provides situational value, should never be a starter though. I haven't been excited by our backup DTs and I wish we had a bigger backup DT behind Brockers. We are pretty undersized at that position. It has shown in the run game. Ray Ray isn't ready to start at LB, he may never be.

After watching preseason, we will need to address the offensive line, LB, and S positions in the draft.

Starting to see why they were pushing hard to trade back into the first round to try to get Zach Martin. and I still cant believe we didnt draft a LB this year or bring in veteran help.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have a question. With Fishers connection to Montana, how did he and Snead miss the Linebacker that Seattle got from there named Coyle. He has looked very good in their PS games and LB depth is a concern.

Snishers love of the WOW athlete could be clouding their minds on Armstrong. LBer is an instinctual position. The good ones have that instinct and can read and respond effortlessly. My guess is that Ray Ray wont ever have it. Making up for mistakes with athleticism works in college but not in the NFL. Ray Ray is a Taylor Mays type of player. Great in college but they just dont translate to the pros.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
#4 They would keep the player with the most upside. If Bayer is the real deal in their eyes he would be a hedge against the loss of Kendricks next year, Blocking TE's are a dime a dozen.
#9 No Conrath isn't much. But where you going to get a upgrade at this time of the year unless it's a vet on his last leg. He's tall and that's about it.
# 5 Givens looks like he was maxed out in his first year. No upside left in him. When it gets to the last roster spot it's not just the other WR's he would battle it would be a more talented player at another position that the team want's to keep.
#10 The vanilla is taking the aggressiveness out of the D. They need to play like they practice on both sides of the ball or risk a very slow start.
#7 lets hope they can bring in vet LB help just for a backup. Maybe more of a MLB type. Also they should look at a backup centers if Jones is IR'd

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I have a question. With Fishers connection to Montana, how did he and Snead miss the Linebacker that Seattle got from there named Coyle. He has looked very good in their PS games and LB depth is a concern.

Snishers love of the WOW athlete could be clouding their minds on Armstrong. LBer is an instinctual position. The good ones have that instinct and can read and respond effortlessly. My guess is that Ray Ray wont ever have it. Making up for mistakes with athleticism works in college but not in the NFL. Ray Ray is a Taylor Mays type of player. Great in college but they just dont translate to the pros.

My feelings are they still view Armstrong as an athlete who is here for his Special Teams contributions. While I agree that the depth at LB seems to be a concern, everyone who have clamored that Armstrong "will push Dunbar"for reps this year are seeing what I have been saying all along. He just is not ready to be a 3 down LB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
#4 They would keep the player with the most upside. If Bayer is the real deal in their eyes he would be a hedge against the loss of Kendricks next year, Blocking TE's are a dime a dozen.

The way the college game is nowadays, I'd say that receiving TEs that struggle blocking are a dime a dozen.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

Brockers didn't play. Johnson has only played one game.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm a little bit concerned with the D, but I'm also taking what I've seen with a grain of salt. With no Brockers, no JL, and a vanilla scheme, the players who do play are going out there with a message in their head that health is the priority. And in PS football, I agree with that approach. If a guy has even a small injury, I don't want him playing, I want our guys healthy for when the games really count.

Sucking in the PS means squat when the regular season starts, teams have gone 0-4 in the PS and went on to the playoffs. OTOH, being good in the PS doesn't help you either, as Spags stellar 10-2 record can attest.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Awesome list if questions, I don't have any answers but I'll chime in a couple opinions:

>>Alex Bayer vs. Justice Cunningham? How does the better blocker not win a possible 4th TE spot?

I fully agree with the thinking here and that TE blocking is being way underrated by the TE battle coverage/discussion. If the Rams want to be a power running team they need a dominating monster blocking TE that can set the edge, and also a guy who can be a crushing lead blocker. We know Cook, Kendricks and Harkey can catch, but who's going to make that key 3rd-and-1 block?

One reason for less concern is Harkey's blocking looks much improved already over last season. I was low on him going into this season but I've now got him as the #2 above Kendricks. The other TEs have looked spotty at best blocking. I don't think Cunningham has shown any better blocking than Bayer. Also, I agree with the post above saying Bayer looks to be the guy to groom as the logical successor to Kendricks next year.

Don't forget about Smelley. He's a true H-back, not a TE trying to learn to lead block. And we still haven't seen Kadeem Jones at all, perhaps there's a chance the Rams go on the tangent of thinking a true FB is what the power run scheme needs. I think if either of those guys can show some dominating blocking and the running game comes together over the last couple games, we might see one of them sneak on and Bayer to the practice squad. I think as it stands Cunningham gets cut.

>>Will the Rams be able to justify Austin Pettis being the 5th or 6th WR with him being due the 2nd highest base salary this season at WR?

Salary doesn't mean much right now, decisions will be made for what's best for the roster talent and needs-wise. Then they'll make the salary work if they have to.

>>Is there a veteran LB available to push Ray Ray Armstrong back to being the 5th or 6th LB/special teamer on the roster?

The first veteran is Laurinaitis. Once he's back, every LB will look much better. But yeah the lack of even a drop of attention to the LB unit this offseason is glaring right now. Just watching Max Bullough nab an INT for Houston is enough to make one cry.

>> Am I the only one who has yet to see anything from Conrath that would warrant the opportunities he keeps getting?

I think the only possible explanation for so many reps is trying to showcase him for a possible trade? No way Conrath makes this team.

>>Is it just me, or is anyone else more concerned about the defense than the offense?

There's some offensive worries, like the OL personnel is still in flux and hasn't played together well yet. But yes I would love to see the DL dominate and get more sacks. Yes the LBs are pathetic so far. The secondary however is flashing some signs of improvement though. And bottom line, it's preseason, so it's the individual little things that are key to watch. Remember defense is the ultimate team job. Can't really get too worried about the things that will come together when key personnel gets back and they can start being the team, not just individual guys fighting for jobs right now.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Brockers didn't play. Johnson has only played one game.

They played last year though, My overall point is/was that over the last 3 years we have improved but marginally and the guys making the biggest impacts on this team are holdovers. The players drafted by Fisher and Snead have not shown any indicated a big leap is going to be taken, with the exception of possibly Quick. I know its early but give me the player(s) that will take the next big leap based on what you have seen at camp and the preseason games?

Just seems like things seem real average right now and we should not be in year 3 watching average still.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I am one of the optimist that expects the Rams to field a top 10 unit (maybe top 5), however up to this point, the defense has not looked very good and some depth issues have been exposed. I have tempered my disappointment with the fact that it is only preseason, the Rams have played against two of the best offenses in the NFL overall, they are missing key contributors, and they are being vanilla. I know Brees did not play last week and NO and GB area also playing vanilla but they did play most of their starters. For me it has really been the run defense that has looked undermanned, however with a vanilla style and having Brockers and JL on the sideline we should expect a drop-off to some degree just not as much as we have seen. For most teams preseason games are more about player evaluation and not team/unit evaluation time.

Some general player observations I have - some f these points other have stated as well.

I have no worries about Bradford's recovery
Hill is will be a good backup and is an upgrade over Clemens.
Gilbert has some the physical talent and long term development potential but he is just too raw at this point to be counted in in a regular season game.
Person can play all over the line but is more of a liability at guard.
Ray Ray is not ready for starting duty (As CoachO previously noted before the games began).
Westbrooks has clearly outplayed Sam (IHMO)
Roberson can cover but is not a physical player (Also as CoachO also previously noted from camp).
Alexander has nice physicality - I can see why Fisher is high on him.

There are other things I could note but got to get back to work.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Fisher said that they have been very vanilla on defense and will start to turn it up for the next PS game. I would prefer that even playing a vanilla game plan that they hold up a bit better than they have. Injuries do matter though.

I agree but when your first defense is getting carved up, like ours did, I would at least like to see us punch back a little. Im not in the sky is falling mode, but I have watched about 4 games each week so far and our intensity seems to down. For example Seattle and Jacksonvilles defenses looked fast and intense. They were not blitzing or getting fancy but they were getting after the QB. I would like to see more of that. I am expecting a playoff run this year so maybe I am expecting too much too early lol