My Heart Goes out to Front Office

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
We could have drafted a better developmental QB than what we currently have.
There is no guarantee that any other QB regardless of where they were drafted would have been better than Gilbert. He has actually looked VERY GOOD at times in camp, not so much in his FIRST TWO PRESEASON GAMES.,

I'm guessing, even if they had drafted Murray, McCarron, or even Mettenberger, all 5th and 6th round guys, they wouldn't be any better options that Gilbert.

You guys seem to be completely writing off Hill as just another Kellen Clemens. He is not that guy.

Philly5

Rookie
The last people I feel sorry for over the situation is the Rams FO. If they did their job, then Hill will at least be respectable. With what I have seen from the OL and our question marks all over the secondary, backup QB likely won't be the biggest issue either way.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Here's the bigger business question. I believe the Rams save $10 million off the cap by cutting Sam Bradford. Seems logical with this being his second ACL. And, frankly, that's a LOT of money to carry if they put him on IR only to maybe not even have him the following season because who knows how the rehab goes...

Seems that the business decision is to cut him which also opens up the ability to grab a few surprise cuts and/or perhaps try and trade for another QB if that is what the Rams want to do.

But do they? I dunno. I really don't.
can we at least let the body get cold before WE decide the guys fate?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
There is no guarantee that any other QB regardless of where they were drafted would have been better than Gilbert. He has actually looked VERY GOOD at times in camp, not so much in his FIRST TWO PRESEASON GAMES.,

I'm guessing, even if they had drafted Murray, McCarron, or even Mettenberger, all 5th and 6th round guys, they wouldn't be any better options that Gilbert.

You guys seem to be completely writing off Hill as just another Kellen Clemens. He is not that guy.

I actually like Hill as much as I liked Bradford (in terms of impact on W-L). In terms of Gilbert, I just haven't seen what you've seen (although I'd like to!). And we don't know how those other guys are going to perform if they were given as much on an opportunity as Gilbert is most likely going to get.... It's a sad day.

duckhunter

Starter
so a 3rd rounder would be better how? because every 3rd rounder is gonna be as good as Russel Wilson, right?

They talked up 2nd and 3rd rounders that they showed interest in prior to the draft. Waiting until the 6th and signing Hill doesn't inspire much confidence as a plan for back up to Bradford if he goes down which is what has happened. Bad luck as an reason doesn't fly too far.

Garoppolo or Murray or McCarron were options that might engender a little enthusiasm/hope. I don't think the fan base has that right now although Davis did look every good last night.

Do they have a guy that they can say could be the guy in grooming for next year? I don't think so.

So the tar baby situation sits there for another year and gets a little uglier and uglier as time goes on. Not a real promising position to be in.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They talked up 2nd and 3rd rounders that they showed interest in prior to the draft. Waiting until the 6th and signing Hill doesn't inspire much confidence as a plan for back up to Bradford if he goes down which is what has happened. Bad luck as an reason doesn't fly too far.

Garoppolo or Murray or McCarron were options that might engender a little enthusiasm/hope. I don't think the fan base has that right now although Davis did look every good last night.

Do they have a guy that they can say could be the guy in grooming for next year? I don't think so.

So the tar baby situation sits there for another year and gets a little uglier and uglier as time goes on. Not a real promising position to be in.

Which is it? You are worrying about NEXT YEAR> or complaining about THIS YEAR?

And regardless, do you think any of these rookies, whoever it may have been , would have been in any better position to START WEEK ONE? For chrissakes, JOHNNY FREAKING FOOTBALL cannot even beat out Hoyer. But some 2nd or 3rd rounder is automatically gonna step in and be better than Shawn Hill?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I actually like Hill as much as I liked Bradford (in terms of impact on W-L). In terms of Gilbert, I just haven't seen what you've seen (although I'd like to!). And we don't know how those other guys are going to perform if they were given as much on an opportunity as Gilbert is most likely going to get.... It's a sad day.
Did you happen to (bother to) watch the entire Fisher Press Conference from this afternoon? I suggest you watch it. He addresses this very thing. Both about any ROOKIE QB, and specifically, Gilbert and how he has looked much better on the practice field than he has in games.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
We know nothing on how the season is going to play out. In 1999 with green as our QB Vegas had our odds as 200-1 after Green went down went to 250-1. Feel bad for Coach Fisher and company.

Irish

Starter

Right, but the point is that every time Sam has gotten hurt, it has been a Kellen Clemens, or Shaun Hill, or AJ Feeley that has replaced him. None of these guys were drafted and developed by the Rams, and the backup spot has been a revolving door. You knew you had a damaged QB, you knew he was more susceptible to re-injuring himself, and now, as so often happens with the Rams, we have no long term option.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
can we at least let the body get cold before WE decide the guys fate?

Well, Coach, you and I are so often aligned, I think you'd be surprised to find that we're aligned here, too. Ordinarily, I would wait and "let the dust settle". However, the Rams have to finalize their 53 in only a few days. This decision will have to be made fairly shortly whether we dissect and/or pulverize this topic to death or avoid it like the plague. The Rams FO will have to deal with it. And, in keeping with their fiduciary responsibilities as well as responsibilities to the organization, the players, the fans, their opponents and the league, they will have to continue to conduct the business of football in light of this not unforeseen contingency. Frankly, it's part of why they brought in Shaun Hill, let's not kid ourselves.

I am deeply saddened by this development, which is why I spent all day in my chair in front of my computer posting (haven't had my botox, yet, so I'm hurting). I'm mostly just trying to "talk it out". Part of that is just exploring all the options and more sadly, that includes the possibility of releasing Bradford for cap reasons.

I'm not completely forlorn, in part because I have faith in the rest of the Rams players, namely Shaun Hill, who with this cast has the ability to be more than a career backup, imho. But, I'm mostly just trying to work through it.

I realize there have been less than sensitive comments made here of late and I'm not trying to be among them.

I'm simply trying to remain hopeful in light of a disappointing development.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Right, but the point is that every time Sam has gotten hurt, it has been a Kellen Clemens, or Shaun Hill, or AJ Feeley that has replaced him. None of these guys were drafted and developed by the Rams, and the backup spot has been a revolving door. You knew you had a damaged QB, you knew he was more susceptible to re-injuring himself, and now, as so often happens with the Rams, we have no long term option.
so you are completely discounting Garrett Gilbert, a guy who has the size, the arm strength, the intelligence, and was groomed by one of the best QB coaches in the country? You claim you wanted them to draft a developmental QB. Just because it isn't the guy YOU may have wanted them to develop, or that he isn't already starter material after 4 months in the organization, doesn't mean they didn't address it.

You are arguing against yourself. Long term option? (Gilbert), or immediate back up? (Hill is a definite upgrade over Clemens) which is it? or are you just wanting to rip on them because you don't like what happened?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yes, it's a shame that Sam goes down again. Double Deja-vu.

But.

Did it not enter the front office's collective mind during the off season that SB might get injured again? It definitely wasn't in their execution with Hill and some scrub 6th rounder as backup additions. If they would have at least drafted someone in the third say, they would have given fans some hope and looked like they were on top of things.

The press will give them every opportunity to say they don't value the position or the dog ate their plan or whatever they are going to say.

Pick your poison. Murphy's law-what can go wrong will go wrong. Failing to plan is planning on failure.

Been there, done that, and it's no fun, for sure.

Heindsight is 20/20, hell an asteroid could hit the Earth. What can go wrong will go wrong? What about what goes right? That statement is so narrow sighted.

I have no regrets regarding our awsome draft. I wouldn't give up Robinson for Bortles, Donald for Manziel, or Joyner for Grappalo. Nope, I like who we have. This is why getting Hill was such a good get. He's a good QB with an excellent supporting cast. He'd still be the starter even with a high round rookie QB.

duckhunter

Starter
Which is it? You are worrying about NEXT YEAR> or complaining about THIS YEAR?

And regardless, do you think any of these rookies, whoever it may have been , would have been in any better position to START WEEK ONE? For chrissakes, JOHNNY FREAKING FOOTBALL cannot even beat out Hoyer. But some 2nd or 3rd rounder is automatically gonna step in and be better than Shawn Hill?

Both this year and next.

Hill has the experience and was slated as the back up. Not necessary to throw a rookie to sink or swim but it would be nice to value the position a little higher than 6th round. you've heard about grooming QBs haven't you or for Christ sake your experience is that limited.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Both this year and next.

Hill has the experience and was slated as the back up. Not necessary to throw a rookie to sink or swim but it would be nice to value the position a little higher than 6th round. you've heard about grooming QBs haven't you or for Christ sake your experience is that limited.
and yet, AJ McCarron, Murray, and Mettenberger, all QBs who were supposed to 2-4th round developmental guys you refer to, were taken in rounds 5 and 6. And honestly, i wouldnt trade any of the top picks (Robinson, Donald, Joyner) which they would have had to forego, to take Garropolo, or Carr, (assuming those are the guys you are taking about). SO NO,, I don't disagree with what they did. Because for all anyone knows, Gilbert will turn out to be every bit as good.

Irish

Starter
so you are completely discounting Garrett Gilbert, a guy who has the size, the arm strength, the intelligence, and was groomed by one of the best QB coaches in the country? You claim you wanted them to draft a developmental QB. Just because it isn't the guy YOU may have wanted them to develop, or that he isn't already starter material after 4 months in the organization, doesn't mean they didn't address it.

You are arguing against yourself. Long term option? (Gilbert), or immediate back up? (Hill is a definite upgrade over Clemens) which is it? or are you just wanting to rip on them because you don't like what happened?

I don't know that anyone is ripping on anyone, facts are facts. You're arguing that, until the 6th round of the 2014 draft, the Rams brass had looked at every single rookie QB in the draft and decided that this guy was, in fact, the one to replace Sam in the distant future. For the sake of argument, since 2011, not including first round draft picks, the Rams passed on 35 QBs before picking Garrett Gilbert. These guys weren't all hall of famers, but many had better pedigrees than Gilbert and could have been had by the Rams without much consequence. If the Rams didn't pick these guys because they weren't properly scouted and aware of the increasingly volatile Bradford situation it is negligence. If they were aware, and chose to ignore this fact until the 6th round of the 2014 NFL draft to pick the "next big thing" they are derelict in their duties as leaders of an NFL franchise. If Brady (Mallet, Garapolo, Cassell), Brees (Rivers), Rodgers (Flynn), Alex Smith (Kaepernick) are worth an investment of an understudy, how can you justify that Bradford, given his injury history, is/was not?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This sucks. Bradford is probably done as a Ram. You can't ignore the fact that the guy is indeed injury prone. I really didn't think he was made of glass like many had been saying but it's kind of hard to ignore now. I don't think he will ever play with confidence again. Bradford will be somebody's backup because I don't believe any team can take the risk of planning their offense around him. It's a shame for the guy. He must be heartbroken.

iced

and yet, AJ McCarron, Murray, and Mettenberger, all QBs who were supposed to 2-4th round developmental guys you refer to, were taken in rounds 5 and 6. And honestly, i wouldnt trade any of the top picks (Robinson, Donald, Joyner) which they would have had to forego, to take Garropolo, or Carr, (assuming those are the guys you are taking about). SO NO,, I don't disagree with what they did. Because for all anyone knows, Gilbert will turn out to be every bit as good.

Could you imagine the uproar if we had drafted Mettenberger, whom is looking pretty good

"Great! Bradford AND our draft pick are both coming off ACL's!"

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
The Rams might have kept only 2 QB's on the roster with 1 on the PS. Signing Hill as QB2 was a great move in the off season, IMO. I question drafting a early round QB that might not even make it through to the practice squad anyway. Thus I believe Gilbert was the right development QB selection.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't know that anyone is ripping on anyone, facts are facts. You're arguing that, until the 6th round of the 2014 draft, the Rams brass had looked at every single rookie QB in the draft and decided that this guy was, in fact, the one to replace Sam in the distant future. For the sake of argument, since 2011, not including first round draft picks, the Rams passed on 35 QBs before picking Garrett Gilbert. These guys weren't all hall of famers, but many had better pedigrees than Gilbert and could have been had by the Rams without much consequence. If the Rams didn't pick these guys because they weren't properly scouted and aware of the increasingly volatile Bradford situation it is negligence. If they were aware, and chose to ignore this fact until the 6th round of the 2014 NFL draft to pick the "next big thing" they are derelict in their duties as leaders of an NFL franchise. If Brady (Mallet, Garapolo, Cassell), Brees (Rivers), Rodgers (Flynn), Alex Smith (Kaepernick) are worth an investment of an understudy, how can you justify that Bradford, given his injury history, is/was not?
Now you want to go all the way back to 2011? There is no way they had the same injury concerns about Bradford, (ACL happened LAST YEAR), that they felt the need, nor anyone else did, unless you are one of the "haters" from another forum. They did address it this year, and whether YOU like the guy they picked or not, they obviously did.