My Heart Goes out to Front Office

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Can you imagine what the front office is going thru right now? How hard would it be for them to have to have discussions about Sam's future with the team. I'm sure they all feel just sick, yet they also much try to make a rational business decision at this time.

I think we should send an open letter of condolence/support to Kevin, Jeff, Les, the remaining staff and team.

fearsomefour

Legend
It will be interesting to see how they handle it.
May very well determine how long the FO people stay around.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Bradford or not, this is still a dam good team. We've seen the Seahawks ride the running game to the Lambardi, we can do the same if we don't lose any more star players. Shaun Hill can get it done.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I feel for them, its almost like the team is cursed. Like 1999 was a fluke and God's been punishing us ever since.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's time for the front office to eat, so to speak.

The ball is in your court, Les.

duckhunter

Starter
Yes, it's a shame that Sam goes down again. Double Deja-vu.

But.

Did it not enter the front office's collective mind during the off season that SB might get injured again? It definitely wasn't in their execution with Hill and some scrub 6th rounder as backup additions. If they would have at least drafted someone in the third say, they would have given fans some hope and looked like they were on top of things.

The press will give them every opportunity to say they don't value the position or the dog ate their plan or whatever they are going to say.

Pick your poison. Murphy's law-what can go wrong will go wrong. Failing to plan is planning on failure.

Been there, done that, and it's no fun, for sure.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's tough sometimes to separate heart from business.

This, most certainly, is one of those times.

RamzFanz

Damnit

But.

Did it not enter the front office's collective mind during the off season that SB might get injured again? It definitely wasn't in their execution with Hill and some scrub 6th rounder as backup additions. If they would have at least drafted someone in the third say, they would have given fans some hope and looked like they were on top of things.

The press will give them every opportunity to say they don't value the position or the dog ate their plan or whatever they are going to say.

Pick your poison. Murphy's law-what can go wrong will go wrong. Failing to plan is planning on failure.

Wasn't the upgrade to Hill the plan?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
If that was the plan then their plan looks really really weak.
It was a catch 22, you can't try to build Sam's confidence at the same time you bring in a challenger to his throne.
Hill was an upgrade over Clemons- like it or not this is the plan they chose to go with.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Here's the bigger business question. I believe the Rams save $10 million off the cap by cutting Sam Bradford. Seems logical with this being his second ACL. And, frankly, that's a LOT of money to carry if they put him on IR only to maybe not even have him the following season because who knows how the rehab goes...

Seems that the business decision is to cut him which also opens up the ability to grab a few surprise cuts and/or perhaps try and trade for another QB if that is what the Rams want to do.

But do they? I dunno. I really don't.

duckhunter

Starter
It was a catch 22, you can't try to build Sam's confidence at the same time you bring in a challenger to his throne.
Hill was an upgrade over Clemons- like it or not this is the plan they chose to go with.

I understand what you're saying and it definitely has value but would hope that you don't have to build your QBs confidence too much. Or maybe he's the wrong guy to begin with.

Competition at all positions and building the best overall roster seems like worthy objectives. Especially when we will cut 3 or 4 guys and see them picked up immediately and we could cut any of our remaining QBs and the league would pass on all of them.

Unfortunately they have egg on their face and humility would be my first suggestion or this can spin out of control real quick. Ask Neal Abercrombie. The rally approach is usually the first and best response but don't get caught in this 'all your eggs in one basket' again. If they get that opportunity.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Meh, life goes on for the FO. They should have had the foresight and balls to have some kind of contingency plan in place (other than a journeyman QB)
Let's face it... just about ALL of us had a bad feeling Sam COULD/WOULD possibly get injured again this year, whether you want to admit it or not.

They put all their eggs in one basket and the basket broke.

duckhunter

Starter
Here's the bigger business question. I believe the Rams save $10 million off the cap by cutting Sam Bradford. Seems logical with this being his second ACL. And, frankly, that's a LOT of money to carry if they put him on IR only to maybe not even have him the following season because who knows how the rehab goes...

Seems that the business decision is to cut him which also opens up the ability to grab a few surprise cuts and/or perhaps try and trade for another QB if that is what the Rams want to do.

But do they? I dunno. I really don't.

My experience is you the stop the bleeding on these issues as soon as you can or it's just a tar baby tied around your neck for another year and a half.

What do I know but as an athlete the guy looks stiff and rigid rather than supple, so I would think he breaks rather than bends. Who knows. sports medicine and other disciplines are studying these things some.

Sure you will take some hits from some teammates and others but it definitely moves the organization past the Bradford era and Snisher survives. But if they float that Bradford herring again and it smells, Snisher might as well resign and get out of town quickly.

Irish

Starter
Yeah, but you also have to keep in mind that it is a business. Sam was a bit of a toxic asset: bad contract, surgically repaired shoulder and knee, and while Sam is a great person, the front office has a responsibility to protect the franchise. Dating back to the RG3 trade, the Rams have routinely passed on getting a quality (key word) rookie QB to mentor and train behind Sam, and now those chickens have come home to roost. I am not saying they should have drafted RG3 and passed on the bounty, but there has been a litany of young QBs that the Rams have passed on with the hopes that Sam is their guy. That ended up not working out, and here we are, talking about Mike Vick, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Mallett, and Tim freaking Tebow and not about the young stud we drafted in the past 3 years as an insurance policy.

This whole situation sucks on so many levels.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

But.

It's clear as day that they failed to plan.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeah, but you also have to keep in mind that it is a business. Sam was a bit of a toxic asset: bad contract, surgically repaired shoulder and knee, and while Sam is a great person, the front office has a responsibility to protect the franchise. Dating back to the RG3 trade, the Rams have routinely passed on getting a quality (key word) rookie QB to mentor and train behind Sam, and now those chickens have come home to roost. I am not saying they should have drafted RG3 and passed on the bounty, but there has been a litany of young QBs that the Rams have passed on with the hopes that Sam is their guy. That ended up not working out, and here we are, talking about Mike Vick, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Mallett, and Tim freaking Tebow and not about the young stud we drafted in the past 3 years as an insurance policy.

This whole situation sucks on so many levels.

I'd say BBB.

V3

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I have no sympathy to give the FO. All of that goes to Bradford and Rams fans. The FO did a piss poor job of hedging their bets when there was ample evidence that putting all their eggs in the Bradford basket was risky. They should have either taken a QB high(1st or 2nd round) or traded down(Buffalo offered) to get an extra first rounder next year in the case that Bradford got hurt or just didn't perform. They did neither and now they have to sleep in the bed they made. They probably set the franchise back 3-5 years because of it. They're going to have to give up a lot of picks to move up to get a viable QB that could conceivably play next year and turn into an elite QB. It absolutely boggles my mind that people are feeling sorry for the FO. If they were CEO's of a corporation, they'd be fired.