Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
IF we are trading up for an OT (please god no) at least make it a good one in Fuaga. Thinking the idea with the changes to our OL already this offseason is centered around being a bruising power running scheme, Fautanu makes little sense. He's reall is not a good run blocker. Fuaga on the other hand is a very good run blocker and a good pass blocker to boot. Fuaga also has the ideal size for OT. I have him rated 2nd to Alt personally.
I agree. After watching some OL play since the rumor mill has us in the market, I think Fuaga would be the smart money if we really do trade up. I look at Fashanu, Fautanu, and to a lesser extent even Alt play and can't help but think that if all we want is a guy that is good enough in pass protection and can wall off defenders in the run game then Alaric would be enough.

If we want a guy that can set the tone and create a new identity for the offense then we want a Penei Sewell type people mover like Fuaga. This pick would fit the theme of the offseason so far and then continue to fill out the rest of the defense with the mid round picks and a few more cheap free agents.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Again, Alaric Jackson was OK at LT. But he simply doesn't move like this kid.
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that Alaric is a better prospect/player then Fautanu. If we could just swap out AJax with Fautanu with no cost, everyone would be extremely happy about it. I think the point is, Alaric is ascending and played well last year. Improving an already pretty solid position on our team isn't as appealing as filling a black hole void on our team. Which could be the defense as a whole.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that Alaric is a better prospect/player then Fautanu. If we could just swap out AJax with Fautanu with no cost, everyone would be extremely happy about it. I think the point is, Alaric is ascending and played well last year. Improving an already pretty solid position on our team isn't as appealing as filling a black hole void on our team. Which could be the defense as a whole.
Love me a heavy syrupy does of hyperbole in the morning.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
How exactly do I look at him? I've said he had a good season and he's a decent LT. Can he be upgraded? Sure absolutely any of these first round LT would be an upgrade. So tired of people not paying attention to what I say and running with their own ideas :D

So tell me how do the Rams look at him? Only a 2nd round tender and only a 1 year contract. Does that speak volumes in their faith in Jackson and does that tell you there's no way they'll draft a LT? The fact that both our LT are URFA next year doesn't make you think a LT is an option? A second round tender and a one year cheap contract is an ocean away from significant.

Silly season indeed can this draft be over already?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, we aren't drafting a LT first. It's all smoke lol....one of us will be right though

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, we aren't drafting a LT first. It's all smoke lol....one of us will be right though
I mean, there's a middle ground! Rams could want a high tackle but the price could be prohibitive so they stay put and don't desire a tackle at 19. Drafting is a dynamic exercise!

FWIW, I think we have an idea of what the Rams plans A, B and maybe even C are but other teams actions will activate which of those occur.

I'm curious for yourself and anyone else here, what are your plans A, B and C??

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

FWIW, I think we have an idea of what the Rams plans A, B and maybe even C are but other teams actions will activate which of those occur.

Really?!? I sure don't. But I'm an idiot.

Seriously though ... I am genuinely curious ... What do you think are the Rams' plans A, B and C?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Really?!? I sure don't. But I'm an idiot.

Seriously though ... I am genuinely curious ... What do you think are the Rams' plans A, B and C?
I'm not gonna get into specific players so perhaps that undercuts things but I'll give it a shot (and this is just first round):

I'm taking Allbright at face value, think he's earned that in this league.

A) Rams trade up to around Denver to select OT. Most likely Fuaga or Fashanu (maybe Latham?)
B) Rams trade down from 19.
- Reasons being: Rams have shown a willingness to do this in the past
- Draft isn't great at D in general and they most likely have a traunch of players they'd be willing to take at 19 (not sure there's much that separates many of these guys in overall grades)
C) Stay at 19 and most likely take area of need at OLB with Latu or Verse (We could argue all over again if Latu will go earlier but I don't see a team taking him when I think there's superior talent at greater positions of need for most teams not named Falcons ahead of us)

X factor: Falcons pick could get really interesting with desire to trade out with lost picks possibly coming for tampering with Cousins this week. Turner most likely to go to them but things could get a lil wonky if they need to pick up more draft capital.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Rams trade up… to select… Fuaga
IMG_7986.jpeg

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean, there's a middle ground! Rams could want a high tackle but the price could be prohibitive so they stay put and don't desire a tackle at 19. Drafting is a dynamic exercise!

A. Rams trade up a small amount and draft Brian Thomas
B. Rams stay at 19 and draft Chop Robinson
C. Rams trade down and take Newton

These are all much better then trading up to take Fautanu IMO. I'd prefer B or C (Chop is the name because I think Latu is gone, Verse isn't a fantastic fit for our scheme, Turner gone, Murphy gone).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think we have to or should. But if we do I get it. And think it would be a good thing if we do.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to Schefty, Giants and Vikes are the 2 teams trying to trade up to 3. If I'm the Pats, I take the best deal and get out of there. Pats need so much and it would be a disaster (much like Mac Jones was) for a rookie QB there.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
According to Schefty, Giants and Vikes are the 2 teams trying to trade up to 3. If I'm the Pats, I take the best deal and get out of there. Pats need so much and it would be a disaster (much like Mac Jones was) for a rookie QB there.
I think if Washington really does blink and takes the Michigan QB, the 3 spot gets a lot more expensive for a trade up

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if Washington really does blink and takes the Michigan QB, the 3 spot gets a lot more expensive for a trade up
Agree. It would be a very commode thing for them to do also. I'd be stunned by it.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I'm not gonna get into specific players so perhaps that undercuts things but I'll give it a shot (and this is just first round):

A) Rams trade up to around Denver to select OT. Most likely Fuaga or Fashanu (maybe Latham?)
- Draft isn't great at D in general and they most likely have a traunch of players they'd be willing to take at 19 (not sure there's much that separates many of these guys in overall grades)
C) Stay at 19 and most likely take area of need at OLB with Latu or Verse (We could argue all over again if Latu will go earlier but I don't see a team taking him when I think there's superior talent at greater positions of need for most teams not named Falcons ahead of us)

X factor: Falcons pick could get really interesting with desire to trade out with lost picks possibly coming for tampering with Cousins this week. Turner most likely to go to them but things could get a lil wonky if they need to pick up more draft capital.
I'm starting to get the sense that their plans A, B, and C are as you outlined them. After much thought on this, those plans also jive with what I would have as plans A, B, and C with a tweak to plan A.

I see trading up to obtain a true blue chip player as the best way to go. I'm fairly convinced that by pick #19, we're done with blue chip players and into red chip players. I don't really care if they trade up for Fashanu or Odunze - I just want a player with a chance to be special.

FWIW, I don't see any defensive players in this draft worth trading up for.

If a trade up doesn't work, I'd be looking at a trade down.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Are you referring to Benjamin Allbright, who covers the Broncos?

Why do you think he is so clued-in? Maybe he is. I don't know.
- Draft isn't great at D in general and they most likely have a traunch of players they'd be willing to take at 19
C) Stay at 19 and most likely take area of need at OLB with Latu or Verse

OK ... Trading-up to pick an OL is specific; and sticking at #19 for an Edge is specific

However, you have them trading-Up ... OR trading-Down ... OR Drafting at #19 ...

Aren't those pretty much the ONLY choices?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Are you referring to Benjamin Allbright, who covers the Broncos?

Why do you think he is so clued-in? Maybe he is. I don't know.

OK ... Trading-up to pick an OL is specific; and sticking at #19 for an Edge is specific

However, you have them trading-Up ... OR trading-Down ... OR Drafting at #19 ...

Aren't those pretty much the ONLY choices?
Yeah, Allbright is pretty connected throughout the league but if we lay that aside and if you go back through the thread you can listen to his POD where he talks about Rams wanting to get around Denver's pick for a tackle. I think that's why he's clued into us in paticular.

As for the choices, I think we can quibble about what order - so I ordered them - and who they might be looking for in each scenario. I also could have specified that they're looking to trade up to Denver or Raiders. They HAVE to get ahead of the Saints for a tackle.

There's nuance in my post... if you look for it. Squint. No Really.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

There's nuance in my post... if you look for it. Squint. No Really.
1713812113807.png
NOW, I see it!

Seriously though, while I don't have a poor/negative opinion of Benjamin Allbright, he's not someone I think of as particularly clued-in or connected.

Did Allbright see Zach Wilson to the Broncos? My opinion could change if he called that trade.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I don't think we have to or should. But if we do I get it. And think it would be a good thing if we do.
I say it isn't unless they get a top notch one, but who knows. I too get the logic but I think there's no way they are doing that. The top LT's will be gone.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

Plan A: Latu/Newton/Verse/Murphy/
Mitchell (doubt he'll fall)

Plan B:
DeJean/Wiggins

Plan C:
Trade back and pick best defensive player available