Mini Camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Waiting for the pads to go on. All this running around in shells isn't going to lock anyone into a starting position.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Waiting for the pads to go on. All this running around in shells isn't going to lock anyone into a starting position.
star trek exercise GIF

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

What we learned from Rams 2023 minicamp and OTAs​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Rams wrapped up mandatory minicamp and are now on summer break until reporting for training camp at UC Irvine on July 25.

Here's what we learned from those two days of minicamp, OTA sessions from the previous two weeks, and what it means heading into training camp.

Rams comfortable moving rookie OL Steve Avila around​

It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that the former TCU standout was plugged in at both guard spots, given his positional flexibility. While he has a center background, he started 15 games at left guard in 2022 and also has seen action at right guard during his college career.

"He's obviously incredibly talented and gifted but been able to move him from left to right," McVay said Tuesday. "I think he's picking things up quickly."

Evaluating offensive line play is somewhat difficult during OTAs and minicamp because no live contact is allowed. But Avila's size on the interior when out on the field is noticeable.

Puka Nacua proving to be a quick study, going to compete for role​

The rookie wide receiver earned praise from both head coach Sean McVay and wide receiver Cooper Kupp for his processing ability, in terms of translating information learned in meeting rooms to the field.

He also displayed smooth route running and reliable hands when he got reps during team drills with quarterback Matthew Stafford leading the offense.

Even as those reps came with Kupp absent for family reasons during OTAs and the team being smart with Van Jefferson and Ben Skowronek, Nacua was still getting those opportunities with Jefferson and Atwell on the field during minicamp.

"He's a guy that we're expecting him to come in, expecting him to be able to contribute and compete," McVay said on June 6. "Every spot is going to be earned on this team, but I really like what he's done and I think it's a credit to everybody around him and his conscientiousness."

Youthful roster energizing McVay​

A young roster meant more teaching for McVay and his staff, but that hasn't been a bad thing. If anything, being involved in that manner has energized him especially as he's provided that instruction to rookies and other young players.

It will be fun to see that on display again when Los Angeles reconvenes for training camp.

Competition at center​

Los Angeles regularly rotated between Coleman Shelton and Brian Allen at center, indicating an unsettled position battle that will continue into training camp.

"It's not too much different for me," Stafford said Wednesday. "I think we're kind of rotating a bunch of guys in there. We've got some new guys at tackle this week for this deal. It's been a lot…a bunch of competition, a bunch of rotation in there. I know at some point we'll settle into what we want to get to, but right now I think all that's good. As far as for me, I'm lucky to play with both of those guys. They're really great centers, have a great command of the offense, what we're trying to do, are professional snappers of the football, and all that kind of stuff. It's not too much of a big deal to me."

Palpable energy from young secondary​

It could be seen in the way they celebrated each other after a play was made in practice how hungry and energetic this group of defensive backs is.

They have plenty to prove given the offseason departures, but they are plenty motivated to do so.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Sean McVay pleased with Stetson Bennett's progress coming out of minicamp​

Stetson Bennett will most likely be the No. 2 quarterback on the Rams’ depth chart this season, backing up Matthew Stafford under center. The Rams hope Bennett never has to get in a game, but they want to make sure he’s ready if called upon at any point in 2023.

It’s still very early in the offseason and Bennett hasn’t faced a live pass rush yet, but Sean McVay seems pleased with the job the rookie has done thus far. He’s seen steady progress from Bennett in practice, noting the way he goes through his reads, uses his athleticism to make plays and maintains a steady demeanor.

“I think he’s taking it a day at a time, but I’ve been really pleased with him,” McVay said of Bennett. “These settings, especially without the pads on, quarterbacks can’t get tackled, but I think you’ve seen steady progress. (QBs coach) Zac Robinson’s done a great job with him as well as Michael LaFleur. But the one thing that does stand out is when the ball is in Stetson’s hands, game makes sense to him. He’s got a good feel for being able to get through progressions quickly. He can feel space on the backend as it relates to just, hey, there’s a lot of different coverage contours that he’s seeing, but he feels open areas and he can get through things quickly. And you love the athleticism, but there’s still a lot of work to be done. But I like his demeanor. He just stays nice and steady, doesn’t get too high, doesn’t get too low, and he’s a fun guy to be around.”

Bennett came into the NFL as a fourth-round pick by the Rams this year and despite being undersized and pegged as a game-manager, Los Angeles viewed him as a playmaker in Georgia’s offense. He was Les Snead’s favorite quarterback in the class and a target of the team on Day 3 in the draft.

Bennett will be tested in training camp and even more so in the preseason, likely getting a lot of reps later this summer when the Rams take on the Chargers, Raiders and Broncos.