Mini Camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Need one of those edge rushers to stand out in addition to those listed. Having a Center stand out is a very good thing

oldnotdead

Legend
Mike McAllister is very interesting because as I've pointed out in prior posts he's strictly a center who has played no other position in college. Yes he went to a small program but he was a standout in his conference. He gives them an option to Shelton both as a backup and long term. Maginn is listed as a center/OG but he's primarily an OG and a good one. McAllister and Maginn are two UDFA's that could provide them with good depth on the IOL. These guys don't appear to be the Kolones, or Brewers of past years. They are truly IOL whereas most of the others were converted OTs. At the very least I would be surprised if McAllister doesn't make the PS.

McAllister and Maginn are the kind of UDFAs you would love to stash on the PS, coach them up for a year then get them on the active roster the next year. At the very least they would provide depth at positions of need long term.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Need one of those edge rushers to stand out in addition to those listed. Having a Center stand out is a very good thing
Lucking into a pass rush with some of these edge rushers would be amazing. I know some people are optimistic about this defense but it's dead in the water with so many rookies playing unless a pass rush outside Donald appears.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McAllister is some good news. We'll see if it continues once pads come on of course though.

But re: Centers historically it's a position where a lesser-talented lineman can survive. So if he's smart and we have good guard play then he would be a potential depth chart option.

Happy to hear his name mentioned either way. :thumbsup1:

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
I believe Alex Ward the longsnapper is having a good camp too. You can tell because no one is saying his name. :laugh3::laugh3::laugh4::laugh4:

‘Unless I mess up, you shouldn’t know me’ - Alex Ward​

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Here are a couple of the better snips from her article;

- Punter Ethan Evans may have been repping “live leg” punts in other practices, but Tuesday was really the first time media saw him at work, with Atwell deep to field them.

Evans’ power and the way the ball pops off of his foot was noticeable (and loud), a detail coordinator Chase Blackburn identified in Evans when he was scouting him before the draft despite the fact that Evans is just 21 and still developing.

- Rams head coach Sean McVay has been impressed with Atwell through the spring. Atwell, he noted, is aligning in a couple of different spots (and he will work out at punt returner, among other players). Stafford hit him on a slick pass across the middle during another part of 11-on-11s and Atwell also worked into the Rams’ goal-line sequence and caught a short touchdown pass.

“I think Tutu Atwell has been outstanding,” McVay said. “He’s been a real bright spot. Very comfortable, you can see the comfort in just playing a lot of snaps last year, gaining some confidence, and then being able to move around, that’ll be really valuable.”

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McAllister is some good news. We'll see if it continues once pads come on of course though.

But re: Centers historically it's a position where a lesser-talented lineman can survive. So if he's smart and we have good guard play then he would be a potential depth chart option.

Happy to hear his name mentioned either way. :thumbsup1:
He was a guy that showed early in OTA’s. My view is of photos of the first week.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams minicamp observations: New guys are raising some eyebrows​

The Rams opened a two-day minicamp Tuesday, the final workouts for coach Sean McVay and his players until training camp begins in late July at UC Irvine.

Observations from the Rams’ penultimate practice:

Who’s not there: Star defensive tackle Aaron Donald and offensive lineman Alaric Jackson were excused from the mandatory camp because of “family stuff,” McVay said.

Donald, 32, a three-time NFL defensive player of the year and future Hall of Famer, is entering his 10th NFL season. He will carry a salary cap number of $26 million this season.

Jackson, 24, is competing with Joe Noteboom to start at left tackle. He will carry a cap number of $947,000.

Wide receiver Ben Skowronek continues to be held out because of a foot issue and rookie cornerback Tre Tomlinson is not practicing because of a hamstring injury, McVay said.

Cooper Kupp continues to progress: Kupp, the Rams’ star receiver, took another step in his comeback from season-ending ankle surgery.

Last week, during a workout open to reporters, Kupp worked almost exclusively on the side and caught passes from trainers before joining a jog-through two-minute drill at the end of the workout.

On Tuesday, Kupp went through most team and individual drills at full speed. He worked on the side with a trainer for only a short period.

New receivers Tyler Johnson, Demarcus Robinson catching on: Kupp was absent for most of the offseason program, Van Jefferson has been limited and Skowronek sidelined, so the recently signed veterans were ostensibly added to provide depth for workouts.

“That kind of was a big catalyst for why we ended up doing it,” McVay said of signing Johnson and Robinson, adding, “but those guys are going to really push, and I like what I’ve seen from them so far.”

Tight end Tyler Higee showing veteran savvy: Quarterback Matthew Stafford has appeared sharp throughout offseason workouts, and Higbee continues to be the recipient of many of his touchdown passes.

Higbee, a seven-year veteran, leads a position group that includes Brycen Hopkins, Hunter Long and rookie Davis Allen.

Robert Rochell getting a look: Rochell, a third-year cornerback, started five games as a rookie in 2021 but mainly played special teams last season after then-rookies Cobie Durant and Derion Kendrick passed him on the depth chart.

Tomlinson had been taking reps as a nickel back, but with Tomlinson sidelined, Rochell got extended work with the first-unit defense.

Rookie defensive lineman Kobie Turner making an impression: Turner, a third-round draft pick from Wake Forest, is taking advantage of opportunities, McVay said.

“He’s done an amazing job,” McVay said. “I’ve really been impressed with just his professionalism. He shines — his relentless effort to the football and then being able to just understand the nuances of what we’re asking of him.”

Rookie offensive lineman Steve Avila and rookie receiver Puka Nacua also have stood out, McVay said.

Spoils of victory: Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ chief operating officer, attended practice wearing a Denver Nuggets NBA championship cap.

The Nuggets, Rams and the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche have won titles under owner Stan Kroenke.

“Behind the scenes,” McVay said of Kroenke, “I think he’s the most supportive in the moments that you need it the most.”

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

- Punter Ethan Evans may have been repping “live leg” punts in other practices, but Tuesday was really the first time media saw him at work, with Atwell deep to field them.

Evans’ power and the way the ball pops off of his foot was noticeable (and loud), a detail coordinator Chase Blackburn identified in Evans when he was scouting him before the draft despite the fact that Evans is just 21 and still developing.

- Rams head coach Sean McVay has been impressed with Atwell through the spring. Atwell, he noted, is aligning in a couple of different spots (and he will work out at punt returner, among other players). Stafford hit him on a slick pass across the middle during another part of 11-on-11s and Atwell also worked into the Rams’ goal-line sequence and caught a short touchdown pass.

“I think Tutu Atwell has been outstanding,” McVay said. “He’s been a real bright spot. Very comfortable, you can see the comfort in just playing a lot of snaps last year, gaining some confidence, and then being able to move around, that’ll be really valuable.”

Seems like Tutu Atwell is everywhere right now.The other cool thing is he looks bigger(stronger) & is putting his time on to get better.
—Punt returner was how he got hurt his rookie year. Good to see him there again now that Brandon Powell went to the Vikings.Shows confidence

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not sure what this obsession is for Mcvay to have Atwell returning punts. He hasn't looked natural or good in any return he's ever made. Just let him make his mark as a wr.

oldnotdead

Legend
Glad to hear Atwell, is in the running to be the punt returner. That would be good for him. His route running looks improved as well from what I hear. If Atwell can get comfortable returning punts that is the key to him staying on the team. Puka will be the #3WR by the end of October and going forward. Atwell will have to get his snaps on jet sweeps, and rotational snaps so being able to return punts would be huge for him.

The other question would be if Skowronek can hang on to his roster spot. He needs to take that next step in his development or he could drop to #6WR.

TC is going to be extremely competitive with a lot of spots in the balance.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think Tutu Atwell has been outstanding,” McVay said. “He’s been a real bright spot. Very comfortable, you can see the comfort in just playing a lot of snaps last year, gaining some confidence, and then being able to move around, that’ll be really valuable.”
I'm glad McVay has come around to my line of thinking!
Zuqf53x.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Not sure what this obsession is for Mcvay to have Atwell returning punts. He hasn't looked natural or good in any return he's ever made. Just let him make his mark as a wr.

They are going to try multiple players as punt returners & Atwell has some experience from his collegiate days at Louisville.

I concur I would not put Tutu back there, but during camp nothing wrong with getting a look at everyone with some experience.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
From Left to Right....Kicker Tanner Brown (49), Kicker Christopher Dunn (15), Punter Ethan Evans (42) & Long Snapper Alex Ward (47).
zsm0towtvwac1b25zfbt.jpg