Mike Shanahan Open to Advisor Role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Payton
Patricia
McDaniels
Shanahans

In that order. Imagine what Payton could do on a team with a defense like ours. Patricia has coached both sides of the ball and is wicked smaht. I think McDaniels has had time to learn from his mistakes in Denver-- I dont really count his time with us in St. Louis. He got thrown in charge of a shit show: lockout shortened offseason, Spags, Bradford, lack of talent, etc. And the Shanahans utilizing Gurley is very intriguing on its own.

Truth be told, I'd be happy with any of the above.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Is there a reality where we get Payton without giving up draft picks or players? I don't think there is, so please no Asshole Face.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is there a reality where we get Payton without giving up draft picks or players? I don't think there is, so please no Asshole Face.

I truly believe if this is in play the Saints won't ask for much because their owner is struggling for money and does not want to pay Payton the contract he just signed him to. I bet a 5th & 7th get it done and it could be 2018 picks as well, if this were to come to fruition.

TexasRam

Legend
raw
I would be more than OK with this arrangement.

giphy.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Defensive coordinators who have worked for Mike Shanahan and his defenses ranked in ppg allowed:

In Denver
Bob Slowik - Out of the league
30th
28th

Larry Coyer - Out of the league
8th
3rd
9th
9th

Ray Rhodes - Out of the league
15th
21st

Greg Robinson - Out of the league
23rd
11th
8th
6th
7th
17th

In Washington
Jim Haslett - Currently LB's coach in Cincinnati
29th
30th
26nd
21st

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Defensive coordinators who have worked for Mike Shanahan and his defenses ranked in ppg allowed:

In Denver
30th
28th

8th
3rd
9th
9th

15th
21st

23rd
11th
8th
6th
7th
17th

In Washington
29th
30th
26nd
21st

Mike wouldn't be picking the DC. That would be on Kyle. Mike would just help the structure of this team and probably help ease Kyles transition. Honestly, if this were to happen (getting both Shannys) I would do backflips.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mike wouldn't be picking the DC. That would be on Kyle. Mike would just help the structure of this team and probably help ease Kyles transition. Honestly, if this were to happen (getting both Shannys) I would do backflips.
Right. I posted this because Mike spoke about the importance and emphasis on having a strong defense and being able to adjust the offense to make it work. Looking back on his defensive resume i was a little surprised to see that when he was making those decisions, he didn't exactly bring in top end DC's or get great results defensively.

I'm also on board with the Shanahan's but the thought of fixing the offense only to become the Saints, Jaguars or Falcons on defense doesn't excite me at all.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

In Denver
30th
28th

8th
3rd
9th
9th

15th
21st

23rd
11th
8th
6th
7th
17th

In Washington
29th
30th
26nd
21st

That is why I was shocked what Mike Shanahan said on Colin Cowherd that having a great defenses was important., however, for the record Ray Rhodes was highly regarded as a DC and Greg Robinson did coordinate top 11 defenses four out of six years.

He hired Haslett because he wanted to convert the Redskins who where a 4-3 to a 3-4 and at the time Haslett had good success with that scheme in Pittsburgh & New Orleans, but I knew that was a horrendous hire, so hopefully they have learned from their mistakes.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm also on board with the Shanahan's but the thought of fixing the offense only to become the Saints, Jaguars or Falcons on defense doesn't excite me at all.

Give me a top five offense combined with a top 15 defense and you described the New England Patriots over the past several years.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Give me a top five offense combined with a top 15 defense and you described the New England Patriots over the past several years.
NE is the exception because of the chowder wizard. NFL stats, trends and championship blueprints don't apply there. That man could win a title with a roster full of soccer moms.

You can have your 30+ppg team with an average/weak defense with no pass rush. You're going to find it difficult to win vs the elite front sevens you'll face in the playoffs. That's why the Seattle's, Carolina's, SF's have trumped the Green Bay's, Arizona's and Saints the last few years.

Fisher had the right idea, but he couldn't get this offense out of the dark ages. This is still a very good defensive team but they've quit after a few years of trying to support a 15ppg offense. Can't say i blame them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh and re: the advisory role, simply by hiring his kid you get Mike. Because he is of course going to be a sounding board for his kid regardless, which also helps the team. And for the areas he thinks the Rams need to be better, Kyle will also be that conduit to Demoff in that way.

Yup.

Demoff needs to be in exclusive cap community relations role.

Keep Demoff away from football related things.

Hell, i'd hire Fisher as DC faster than you can say 7-9 bullcrap.

LOL Mojo I'm certain he'd turn down the offer.

"Hire my son as your next head coach, and I'll hang around to make sure he doesn't fuk it up"

I know someone who voted for Hillary Clinton specifically because he said that essential it was "bringing back Bill Clinton". Same thing I guess LOL.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Fisher had the right idea, but he couldn't get this offense out of the dark ages. This is still a very good defensive team but they've quit after a few years of trying to support a 15ppg offense. Can't say i blame them.

Besides not being able to find a RCB who could cover a bed including E.J. Gaines who allowed the touchdown against the 49ers because apparently he forgot how to jam the WR at the line of scrimmage...Sorry as I digress.