Mike Shanahan Open to Advisor Role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Mike Shanahan Open to Advisor Role if Kyle Shanahan Gets Rams Job
by Michael Moraitis

Mike Shanahan expressed a potential interest in being an advisor for the Los Angeles Rams if his son Kyle Shanahan were to get the head coach job.

Former NFL head coach Mike Shanahan sounds like he’d be open to taking an advisory role if his son, Kyle Shanahan, gets the head coaching gig with the Los Angeles Rams.

Shanahan, who currently serves as the Atlanta Falcons’ offensive coordinator, is one of the names being floated as a potential candidate for Rams head coach.

However, a report by Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole reveals that Kyle might want to bring his dad along with him wherever he goes. So, the Shanahans are essentially a packaged deal.

While being interviewed on The Herd with Colin Cowherd, Mike certainly sounded open to being some sort of an advisor to the Rams:

Cowherd: If your son Kyle and you were called by the Rams, would you not at least listen?

Mike Shanahan: First of all, when you take a look at people, you gotta take a look at exactly what you do want. I think it would be a lot smarter to take Kyle than it would me. I think I would give an organization maybe a lot more input from top to bottom. It’s the little things that are the difference in the structure of the organization.

Very similar to when I was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers. It’s such a learning experience. I’m not looking for a head coaching job to be honest with you. I think maybe I could help an organization in some way, what it takes to win Super Bowls. I think, really, this game is for younger guys. Guys that are really fired up to run a team, put a good team together, but that head coach has to have a good supporting cast to win a Super Bowl.

The Shanahans Coming to L.A.?

Take that for what it’s worth. If the Rams really want Kyle Shanahan that badly, I’m sure they’d be open to letting Mike have some input, and it certainly couldn’t hurt to have an experienced NFL mind in the mix.

Unfortunately for the younger Shanahan, it’s likely the Rams have a few names ahead of him on their list. The organization will aim really high and work its way down. We’d guess, at best, Shanahan is below New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in the desired coaches pecking order.

http://ramblinfan.com/2016/12/21/mike-shanahan-advisor-kyle-shanahan-rams-job/

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know if I'd want Shanny Jr without Shanny Sr being involved

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
This Duo is the way I'm leaning. Best of both worlds. We get a young, bright, innovative offensive mind paired with a long time proven coach to steady the ship. I really think these guys could get our team into contention again.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Elder Shanny can give his son pointers on putting together a well rounded staff with his experience and connections.
Can you imagine what Goff could learn from Mike in a few film sessions and conversations?!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would be more than OK with this arrangement.

giphy.gif

bluecoconuts

Legend
I like that, especially if we can keep someone like Singletary on staff to work with the Linebackers still. I want some good creative minds with some guys who have been there and done that sprinkled in.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We’d guess, at best, Shanahan is below New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in the desired coaches pecking order.
My Guess is this Guess is " Dead Wrong!!" I'm not saying Shanahan is the #1 choice of the Rams, I wouldn't know, BUT I am saying I wouldn't put McDaniels ahead of Shanahan!! They are possibly numbers 2 & 3 or 3 & 4! I would put, at least, Nick Saban ahead of both of them!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Didn't the duo work together in Washington? And how did that work out?

Is that a rhetorical question? I don't think his tenure with the Redskins were great, but its more of what he achieved prior to the Redskins. I honestly like Shanahan, never paid much attention to his son, but in spite of the comments made by Gruden not wanting to coach again I can sway into this idea and support it if its more feasible .

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Is that a rhetorical question? I don't think his tenure with the Redskins were great, but its more of what he achieved prior to the Redskins. I honestly like Shanahan, never paid much attention to his son, but in spite of the comments made by Gruden not wanting to coach again I can sway into this idea and support it if its more feasible .
If Mike wanted to be POO and his Son HC I might take it. Mike would be in charge of hiring the right people and Demoff would stay the hell out of the hiring process. I like Demoff but I don't think he's President material.
However, I would not want Mike and Kyle to be on the sidelines together we've seen it before and it didn't work.

And yes it was rhetorical lol.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I like that, especially if we can keep someone like Singletary on staff to work with the Linebackers still. I want some good creative minds with some guys who have been there and done that sprinkled in.

I think whatever he did with Ogletree worked well. He's playing good football IMO!!!

@Jacobarch I think that may have had more to do with Griffin don't you think........

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think whatever he did with Ogletree worked well. He's playing good football IMO!!!

@Jacobarch I think that may have had more to do with Griffin don't you think........

You are right RGIII got them fired, but they also picked him. They went all in on him just like we went all in on Goff.

DeaconJones

Rookie
Ugh. Why do they value McDaniels so much? He was the OC in St. Louis in 2011 and took off part way through the year after getting Bradford roughed up and poor results overall. He was a terrible fit then. I don't see the makeup of this team as being much different as that one was.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Right
which is why they also drafted Cousins.
Last I checked, that was working out all right....

Oh boy is it ever. I read a little bit about how he has been playing and in the last 20ish games he is the highest rated QB in the league.

We need one of those.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Would absolutely love this. All the experience Mike has and how many mistakes Kyle would avoid being a new HC. With his pops telling him in advance what to look out for and how to go about running a winning team. This would be as good as getting Gruden IMO.