Mike Shanahan Open to Advisor Role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cowherd: If your son Kyle and you were called by the Rams, would you not at least listen?

Mike Shanahan: First of all, when you take a look at people, you gotta take a look at exactly what you do want. I think it would be a lot smarter to take Kyle than it would me. I think I would give an organization maybe a lot more input from top to bottom. It’s the little things that are the difference in the structure of the organization.

Very similar to when I was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers. It’s such a learning experience. I’m not looking for a head coaching job to be honest with you. I think maybe I could help an organization in some way, what it takes to win Super Bowls. I think, really, this game is for younger guys. Guys that are really fired up to run a team, put a good team together, but that head coach has to have a good supporting cast to win a Super Bowl.

Translation: he is of course interested, but is not going to take a job from his kid.

And the Rams would do well to remember that is going to work both ways. The son probably would bow out for his Pops, I mean I know I would, if he knew it was THE JOB for him. This is why as he said the Rams need to define what they want because that definition is going to limit the field of two in one way or another just from a head coaching perspective. If the Rams bring in Mike Shanahan for an interview for head coach it might shut that door on Kyle.

Oh and re: the advisory role, simply by hiring his kid you get Mike. Because he is of course going to be a sounding board for his kid regardless, which also helps the team. And for the areas he thinks the Rams need to be better, Kyle will also be that conduit to Demoff in that way.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
If the price tag for trading for Sean Peyton is too high I would be very intrigued by a father son Shanahan combo. One of the most important things is building a good staff and a vet coach like Shanahan still has a lot of connections that can help build a staff combined with the younger coaches Kyle knows. However I would want Mike in a more organizational role as president or something like that who helps build the organization and advises his first time coach son.

I want the GM to be a pure personnel guy. Shanahan's Atlanta connections may say Snead is that guy, but if not they need to go find one to make a power trio with the Shanahan's and a GM. Demoff needs to be in exclusive cap community relations role.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Didn't the duo work together in Washington? And how did that work out?

To be fair, Dan Snyder is a meddling owner who played politics, specifically when giving RG3 the impression that the world revolved around him rather than getting the team to rally together.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Aren't Fisher and Mike Shanahan pretty close? Fisher might reach out to Mike and talk trash about the organization and ruin any shot we have at Kyle (and Mike with that).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Aren't Fisher and Mike Shanahan pretty close? Fisher might reach out to Mike and talk trash about the organization and ruin any shot we have at Kyle (and Mike with that).
Wouldn't he be trashing himself? I mean...

They are good friends as you said. Hell, i'd hire Fisher as DC faster than you can say 7-9 bullshit.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Wouldn't he be trashing himself? I mean...

They are good friends as you said. Hell, i'd hire Fisher as DC faster than you can say 7-9 bullcrap.

Fisher could be like "Snead is impossible to work with, Demoff is a liar, Kroenke is a micromanaging POS, all 3 are incompetent and have no idea how to run a football team, etc." even it's a lie, because he's clearly upset and lashing out everytime he gives an interview. Something like that would make sure Mike steers Kyle clear of the organization to do what's best for him. Not a good career move working with a dysfunctional FO.

…..

Legend
Translated

"Hire my son as your next head coach, and I'll hang around to make sure he doesn't fuk it up"

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This definitely is a plus in Kyle Shanahan's favor if you ask me, because it gives him a good sounding board for advice when he needs it, as a first time head coach inevitably will. And when that sounding board is your father, a 2-time Super Bowl winner and someone who has coached many a division champion and playoff teams, it's even better.

That being said, everywhere Mike Shanahan went they implemented a 3-4 defense ... I hope that wouldn't apply to Kyle. We are built to be a 4-3 team and it needs to stay that way.

Bruce2980

Starter
Is that a rhetorical question? I don't think his tenure with the Redskins were great, but its more of what he achieved prior to the Redskins. I honestly like Shanahan, never paid much attention to his son, but in spite of the comments made by Gruden not wanting to coach again I can sway into this idea and support it if its more feasible .
Shanahan was hamstrung by the owner. RGIII wouldn't even run some of the plays Mike called and he didn't have to, because he had a good relationship with the owner that undermined the head coaching job, turning it into a multi million dollar baby sitting job.

Bruce2980

Starter
Translated

"Hire my son as your next head coach, and I'll hang around to make sure he doesn't fuk it up"
More like, hire my son as HC and I'll make sure that the Rams incompetent organization doesn't f**k it up.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Shanahan was hamstrung by the owner. RGIII wouldn't even run some of the plays Mike called and he didn't have to, because he had a good relationship with the owner that undermined the head coaching job, turning it into a multi million dollar baby sitting job.

Makes sense. RGIII seemed like the primadonna type. Look at where that got him today...Karma

Bruce2980

Starter
My first vote was for Gruden, but I think that if Mike got the job he wants and his son got the HC, I believe that would turn this team around quickly. Not sure what would happen to Demoff or Snead, but I don't see either of them wanting this to happen as they may be hiring their replacement.

Bruce2980

Starter
Makes sense. RGIII seemed like the primadonna type. Look at where that got him today...Karma
Yeah it was a bad situation, I heard Mike Shanahan talking about it in an interview after GR III decided to let him go, ;)
This owner would be perfect for this duo to get the Rams a championship.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'd be fine with the younger Shanahan as HC, and elder in an advisory role.

Second option Sean Peyton.

Third.....Gruden.

McDaniels, the press's puffed up darling, failed miserably in both opportunites away from the evil empire. Let someone else roll the dice a third time with him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think we have some good HC candidate options this year.

I'd be fine with Gruden or the Shanahans.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Another plus to this Dynamic Duo .... the WCO system. That is what the Rams have been bringing Goff up under ... a WCO hybid. so they can meld things a lot better for Goff as to not retard his growth than bringing in say JM and the system they run in NE (sorry...forgot the name of it ... something/Perkins) But my point is that anything they can do to keep it simple ofr our young OFF. guys the better. A total system/terminology thing could make it a longer transition.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting tidbit here is that Washington Redskins has four players selected to the pro bowl.....just so happens Mike was responisible as the HC/GM when these four all stars were selected & drafted.

Rambo

UDFA
How can you get youth and energy with a hunger to win, HC experience and wisdom, and a marquee name all at the same time? This may be the best option.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
For me assuming Jim Harbaugh isn't going anywhere (unless its the colts job totally my guess)

I want #1 Sean Peyton, then the #2A Shanny's then #2B Shaw as a close second and that could change at a moments notice
Keep Boy Wonder McD the fuckK away from LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!