Mike Florio at it again: Ripping McVay calling him a fake

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah... life's too short to watch some pompous ass pontificate about how our coach communicates while some 12 year old giddy school girl giggles in delight. I knew I shouldn't even start watching but I couldn't make it past about 1 minute. Who the hell gets into this shit?

Hey HEY!!! I have my differences with @jrry32 too but don't you think this is a little harsh?

season 4 suit GIF

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It was a slight. Sometimes, we speak without thinking through all the ramifications of our words. He's trying to do damage control now. I don't need Florio to tell me anything. The above was obvious to me when McVay said it and even more obvious when he tried to backtrack. It is what it is. Goff has said some things that could be taken as a slight too.
Absolutely. But we should be extremely happy that having Stafford made McVay unintentionally let his guard down. Sure he's doing damage control because of the way it sounds. It would be no different than O lineman saying something extremely complimentary of Carberry and the media taking it as a slight to Kromer. Or the DB coach saying something about Ramsey being a slight to Peters (hasn't Peters reacted without such a comment?).

As far as a reporter being blamed for this, that's their job. Ask a question, get a surprisingly unguarded answer, make a story of it. And it IS a story. McVay is so freaking happy Stafford is here he can't maintain his speak for 30 minutes and say nothing noteworthy approach to the media, besides complimentary comments about everybody associated with the Rams, past or present.

It's really no big deal, except between Goff and McVay.

It supports the viewpoint McVay believes Goff has held back his offense and the Rams should have been playing better and winning more. That puts the onus on McVay, not Stafford or Goff. Because if the Rams don't improve significantly in 2021, folks will be faced with another question......was it Goff or has McVay's offense been figured out by the rest of the NFL?

As far as being happier with Stafford than Goff, the only significant differences favoring Goff are his age and experience within the system.

Pocket presence? Advantage Stafford
Reading defenses? Stafford
Making plays off schedule? Stafford
Experience? Stafford
Arm strength? Stafford
Mobility? Stafford

The only downside to trading Goff for Stafford is Stafford probably won't be around as long as Goff.

Florio? He's a shock-jock like many in the media. Controversy brings attention and it doesn't matter to them whether it's positive or negative. Attention is attention. But the point of all this is, it is a story, whether you hate Florio or not. I prefer to accept this as confirmation the Rams may be in better place than they were 6 months ago.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gee. I took his comments to mean that he was simply happy with the overall team at this point and then he began talking about the guy to his right.

His creative juices are flowing with his new QB AND weapons (Atwell, Harris) , Cam Akers seems to have solidified his #1 RB spot, and he has his buddy as DC and former co-worker as OLine coach.

If Stafford were the only change from last offseason or I was looking for some sort of agenda, I guess I'd see it the way the media portrayed things. But, that's not the case.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
So, Matthew Staffotd is our QB....
Yes, He Is! I really liked Goff and appreciate him taking the Rams to the Playoffs (Including, A SUPERBOWL!) and I sincerely wish him the very best with the Lions (Except for when he plays against the Rams!) BUT like Loyal stated STAFFORD is the Rams QB now which makes him my New FAVORITE QB!!!

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why should anyone on Earth be truthful, honest, forthright, respectable, considerate, articulate, unassuming and objective with the media when the media represents none of those things.

None of this stuff will matter when the real football begins in LA and Detroit. McV wanted a better QB to lead his loaded roster. That's the story.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Absolutely. But we should be extremely happy that having Stafford made McVay unintentionally let his guard down. Sure he's doing damage control because of the way it sounds. It would be no different than O lineman saying something extremely complimentary of Carberry and the media taking it as a slight to Kromer. Or the DB coach saying something about Ramsey being a slight to Peters (hasn't Peters reacted without such a comment?).

As far as a reporter being blamed for this, that's their job. Ask a question, get a surprisingly unguarded answer, make a story of it. And it IS a story. McVay is so freaking happy Stafford is here he can't maintain his speak for 30 minutes and say nothing noteworthy approach to the media, besides complimentary comments about everybody associated with the Rams, past or present.

It's really no big deal, except between Goff and McVay.

It supports the viewpoint McVay believes Goff has held back his offense and the Rams should have been playing better and winning more. That puts the onus on McVay, not Stafford or Goff. Because if the Rams don't improve significantly in 2021, folks will be faced with another question......was it Goff or has McVay's offense been figured out by the rest of the NFL?

As far as being happier with Stafford than Goff, the only significant differences favoring Goff are his age and experience within the system.

Pocket presence? Advantage Stafford
Reading defenses? Stafford
Making plays off schedule? Stafford
Experience? Stafford
Arm strength? Stafford
Mobility? Stafford

The only downside to trading Goff for Stafford is Stafford probably won't be around as long as Goff.

Florio? He's a shock-jock like many in the media. Controversy brings attention and it doesn't matter to them whether it's positive or negative. Attention is attention. But the point of all this is, it is a story, whether you hate Florio or not. I prefer to accept this as confirmation the Rams may be in better place than they were 6 months ago.
Goffs availability compared to Stafford is the one I worry about the most. Stafford has missed a lot of games in his career and now he is older and more susceptible to injury. I think the Rams have better be right on there back up QB, cause we will need him for multiple games.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goffs availability compared to Stafford is the one I worry about the most. Stafford has missed a lot of games in his career and now he is older and more susceptible to injury. I think the Rams have better be right on there back up QB, cause we will need him for multiple games.
This was my perception as well. I work with a Lions fan and he told me that's not actually true. "A lot of games" is subjective but IMO based on the numbers he's been durable enough.
Capture.JPG

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He’s played 16 games in 9 of the past 10 seasons.

Stafford has not ‘missed a lot of games’.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only person who truly know what's Sean McVay meant is Sean McVay.

He obviously didn't intend it as a slight or he would not have addressed it and said the media took that out of context.

You can say that it was an intentional slight, but I doubt it. I doubt he was thinking of Goff at all when he made that statement.

Which is all stupid anyways. None of this was breaking news - we all know. Otherwise the trade wouldn't have happened. So it's like knowing two people broke up, and then going on social media and posting about how one of them is happier now.

No shit.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not a big fan of Lindsey Thiry either, but in her defense she did write that good, long piece on how the relationship between Goff and McVay broke down, and it wasn't necessarily flattering to either of those two. I'm sure McVay didn't appreciate it, even though I think what she wrote in that piece (link here for reference) is largely true. Between that and the way he and Snead dissed Goff between the end of the Green Bay game and the trade, I think you have all the context you need. McVay should just own it and learn to control his mouth a little better, because other players will take notice. He needs to work on the art of saying a lot of words that essentially mean nothing, which is how you handle the media when you are a coach - give them nothing while making them think you are giving them something.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not a big fan of Lindsey Thiry either, but in her defense she did write that good, long piece on how the relationship between Goff and McVay broke down, and it wasn't necessarily flattering to either of those two. I'm sure McVay didn't appreciate it, even though I think what she wrote in that piece (link here for reference) is largely true. Between that and the way he and Snead dissed Goff between the end of the Green Bay game and the trade, I think you have all the context you need. McVay should just own it and learn to control his mouth a little better, because other players will take notice. He needs to work on the art of saying a lot of words that essentially mean nothing, which is how you handle the media when you are a coach - give them nothing while making them think you are giving them something.
I think he's so good at working the press and controlling the message that he wasn't sure how to handle it when he let his guard down and said what he thinks. We're all adults here. We all know he was happy to move on from Goff. No way you can argue that when you pay as much as they did to move on to Stafford.

I get that he doesn't want to shit on Goff. But everyone knows that Goff was not good enough, whether or not they agree, from the Rams perspective. Because the Rams moved a lot of draft capital to get out from under Goff.

But I'm with you on him owning it. He should have just let it go. Let the idiot press do their thing. Trying to control that shit just makes it worse IMO. Because it's not really a big deal. As many here have mentioned he absolutely should be happy to see Stafford doing his thing given what he gave up to make that move.

And this is also why I say I think he hates Thiry. Because he probably heard that shit and went in the Rams' media room all pissed instead of thinking it through. I mean the whole thing is kind of funny tbh. Again not a big deal by any measure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was my perception as well. I work with a Lions fan and he told me that's not actually true. "A lot of games" is subjective but IMO based on the numbers he's been durable enough.
View attachment 45924
Well, the issue with Stafford is that he does get hurt. He plays through injuries. He should be credited for that. But it sometimes reduces his effectiveness. The thing that worries me, though, is the back injury from 2019. There was a lot of talk about how it was healed and would not be a long-term issue. I hope that's true. But teams aren't always upfront about those sort of things (cough Gurley cough).