Mike Evans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
Lol no way.. Calvin was Exceptional - Evans is not.

Mike Evans does have pretty darn good hands, to say no way to that? Yea, totally disagree. Also, Evans did perform as well as Johnson in college, but Johnson has the all around physical talent, Evans doesn't technically. Heck Evans is honestly just missing speed, if he ran a 4.3 people would be saying he's a Calvin Johnson like talent. That's just me, let's not pretend Johnson was a perfect perfect prospect at the time cause honestly nobody is. Johnson is the best in the game today don't get me wrong, but let's not let our now feelings about Johnson right NOW invade with Evans as a prospect. If you compare them both as prospects, they have some similarities imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea - i'm going to STRONGLY disagree with you this on. Evans is not in same state nor Planet as a prospect as Calvin Johnson. Evans might be good in his own right, but the talent gap between him and Johnson is monumental...If you think it isn't, I have nothing further to say. I just agree to completely disagree at that point

In terms of hands? He is. Calvin isn't Fitz good or Alshon good in that department imo. He can high-point the ball with the best of them. Incredible at it. But he drops a lot of passes. He's not nearly as consistent as guys like Fitz and Alshon. Evans can high-point it, he can make tough catches in traffic, and he's incredibly consistent. He has top tier hands.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Idk if I would call it "hands," but his ability to attack the ball in the air is second to none with a lot of players in the league right now.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
It's hard to be objective, the last video you see has the greatest influence.

The draft need to hurry up -- I'm losing my mind

iced

In terms of hands? He is. Calvin isn't Fitz good or Alshon good in that department imo. He can high-point the ball with the best of them. Incredible at it. But he drops a lot of passes. He's not nearly as consistent as guys like Fitz and Alshon. Evans can high-point it, he can make tough catches in traffic, and he's incredibly consistent. He has top tier hands.

wow... seriously? wow.

calvin has much better hands than Alshon - Fitz I'd put him slightly under.

but to act like Evans is even on their hands level is ridiculous.

calvin and fitz can make one handed grabs and layout, fully extended, routinely - they've done it in college and throughout their nfl careers consistently. Evans is not on their level

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wow... seriously? wow.

calvin and fitz can make one handed grabs and layout, fully extended, routinely - they've done it in college and throughout their nfl careers consistently. Evans is not on their level

Much better hands than Alshon? Puhlease.
Alshon Drop Rate - 5.32% (6th best among 43 NFL WRs that qualify)
Calvin Drop Rate - 10.32% (32nd best among 43 NFL WRs that qualify)

Alshon's hands are ridiculous.

Evans isn't quite on Alshon's and Fitz's level but he is on Calvin's level in overall hands. Not as good as Calvin at high-pointing the ball but when you consider all the factors, yes, Evans is on that level.

iced

Evans isn't quite on Alshon's and Fitz's level but he is on Calvin's level in overall hands. Not as good as Calvin at high-pointing the ball but when you consider all the factors, yes, Evans is on that level.

please - you're talking about the receiver who beats triple coverage consistently, makes 1 handed catches, and broke jerry rice's record...

don't even begin to compare alshon to calvin - calvin does it alone

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
please - you're talking about the receiver who beats triple coverage consistently, makes 1 handed catches, and broke jerry rice's record...

don't even begin to compare alshon to calvin - calvin does it alone

Beats triple coverage consistently? Not true.

Makes 1 handed catches? So does Alshon.

Broke Jerry Rice's record? Great but that speaks to over talent not one attribute.

You treat Calvin Johnson like he's a god among men. Calvin is the best WR in the game but that doesn't make him the best WR in the NFL at every attribute. His hands are not the best. His speed is not the best. His size...well...that's probably the best when you combine his leaping ability and ball-skills. He has the best OVERALL skill-set.

But no, his hands are not better than Alshon's. Alshon catches the ball a lot more consistently and made more than his fair share of spectacular grabs in 2013.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Until I see it I don't believe that Evans will get good separation in the NFL. Jump balls against college DBs and jump balls against NFL DBs are two different things.

This happen every year. Right after every players pro day that the Rams could have interest in there is a big buzz and the disagreements ensue.

If the Rams take him I will look at it like this - Evans will be a better Brian Quick, or Jared Cook type player than either of them were. I won't go comparing him to CAlvin, Fitz or any other until he proves it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's amazing to me how a comparison of a mere attribute of a couple of players game/skill can't be discussed without someone changing the discussion to a comparison of both player's entire game/skill.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Until I see it I don't believe that Evans will get good separation in the NFL. Jump balls against college DBs and jump balls against NFL DBs are two different things.

This happen every year. Right after every players pro day that the Rams could have interest in there is a big buzz and the disagreements ensue.

If the Rams take him I will look at it like this - Evans could be a better Brian Quick, or Jared Cook type player than either of them were. I won't go comparing him to CAlvin, Fitz or any other until he proves it.

Apart from the one word which I've changed, I couldn't agree more with your post.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Anyone wanting Evans with a high pick must have missed him getting shut down by EJ Gaines.

And wether Bradford said it or not he sure does seem to favor Open receivers. He is not known as captain check down for nothing. It is quite apparent that he does not like to take risks with the ball. Otherwise he wouldnt have such a low INT rate.
You say that as if it's a bad thing?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
wow... seriously? wow.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/
Johnson 5/1%
Jeffery 3.4%

nighttrain

Legend
Hope everyone can live with the fact that the Rams most likely are going to go OL and DB with first two picks, those positions are where we are hurting most
train

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Hope everyone can live with the fact that the Rams most likely are going to go OL and DB with first two picks, those positions are where we are hurting most
train
I know I can!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's amazing to me how a comparison of a mere attribute of a couple of players game/skill can't be discussed without someone changing the discussion to a comparison of both player's entire game/skill.

I have been around the forums long enough to know the power of inference. You have too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
train
I don't care who they take in the end. I wouldn't b surprised by any combination of positions. I even concede that a WR like Evans is more likely than one like Watkins because the Rams have been chasing the dream of a tall physically dominant WR since Fisher arrived. It is too early to replace Austin and Bailey but not too early to replace Quick IMO.

nighttrain

Legend
I don't care who they take in the end. I wouldn't b surprised by any combination of positions. I even concede that a WR like Evans is more likely than one like Watkins because the Rams have been chasing the dream of a tall physically dominant WR since Fisher arrived. It is too early to replace Austin and Bailey but not too early to replace Quick IMO.
Quick was praised by Fisher as coming a long way towards mastering his position at the end of last season.
train

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Wouldn't you have to take into account how many times they are targeted? And the fact that Alshon is going up against teams second best corner, while Calvin is being double teamed?

Just seems Alshon should catch a higher percentage under those circumstances.