Measuring Tavon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've made my opinion of Tavon well known. On two boards, actually.

Yeah and we all have and I also have a lot of doubt about him ever living up to what we've hoped he'd be.

But that said I think it's interesting discourse to consider how we would go about quantifying his contributions to the team, and what they would look like if things were to fall in place for him. What's interesting about that is even if all goes well he's probably got a cap on what his top production could look like.

Only thing that might save him is the deep ball. Not that I think he'll be capable of doing that regularly, because I don't, but it's more intriguing discussion than how much of a bust he is or how we've all given up on him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yet you think a slow guy who doesn't catch the ball well will be a Star? (Michael Thomas).
If you mean our Michael Thomas he ran a 4.4 at his pro day.

Remember the rap on Julio Jones was that he drops the occasional catchable ball as well.

Hopefully Thomas improves in that area.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I have been critical of TA in years past. Even more so after the contract.
BIG year for Tavon coming up. It feels like he was starting to become one of Fisher's country club members with that contract and treatment he was getting. If he can break through this year and we really adapt the WE NOT ME attitude I think he can do some good things. If guys play TOGETHER and actually block for each other and NOT commit ridiculous penalties on big plays I think he can begin to justify that contract. I'll have my fingers crossed.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It's strange that Tavon seem to have trouble getting open but once he gets the ball in his hands he's pretty electric.

I think McVay is going to devise some ways to confuse the defense to get him open.

I also think some picks up by other receivers snd crossing patterns would work.

There should always be a player in motion on every play.

Just throwing some stuff out there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yet you think a slow guy who doesn't catch the ball well will be a Star? (Michael Thomas)
Can't quite figure you out 46.
My wife says the same....no, not about a slow guy who doesn't catch....figuring me out. LOLOL

Mike Thomas....to the naked eye, is a legitimate wr....runs nice routes...makes spectacular catches...IN PRACTICE!!! Reminds me of Ike Bruce. I bet he's the 2nd best wr on the team RIGHT NOW.

And like @Soul Surfer pointed out, he's not slow in any way. He's a pass catcher...I'm sure nerves had more to do with his drops....If he can improve his concentration...and get some damn love from the coaches and play a little more...We'll all see what some have glimpsed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Thomas....to the naked eye, is a legitimate wr....runs nice routes...makes spectacular catches...IN PRACTICE!!! Reminds me of Ike Bruce. I bet he's the 2nd best wr on the team RIGHT NOW.

With this new staff all bets are off. Nothing is going to be taken for granted.

Even Tavon. They will try to get him up to speed and maximize his potential, but he's going to need to run precise routes and block in this offense. No way around it. If he doesn't, then he'll be the bubble screen and gadget option only.

Strong route runners will have an advantage. Cooper and Spruce both should get good looks. Spruce has a much smaller window, less room for error or injury, so he'll have to take full advantage. I think Coop will solidify himself and might even challenge Tavon if he plays well enough and if Tavon gives him a window by not working/improving.

Thomas is a real darkhorse man. I love the way he played on teams last year, so I am rooting for him. But keep in mind the Rams will be bringing in fresh blood too. So not only Woods added to the upper part of the roster but also at least one rookie. Guys like Thomas and Spruce will be fighting for their MFing lives in this camp.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The same people who will tell you that the RAMS coaches have been clueless on offense are the same ones saying Tavon isnt good enough to play for this team.
Well you are entitled to your opinions but that guy is effective enough that NFL DEFENSIVE COACHES make sure to shut him down. When they don't, Tavon racks up big plays and TDs.
The guy has been one of the only RAMS capable of getting in the end zone for years. He isn't a #1 WR. So what? He is a versatile weapon who needs an offense around him. When teams committed to stopping Tavon, you would think someone else could make a play... but that never happened. Once they stopped running sweeps and reverses with TA, Gurley lost his effectiveness. Must be a coincidence I guess...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But keep in mind the Rams will be bringing in fresh blood too...............Guys like Thomas and Spruce will be fighting for their MFing lives in this camp.
Exactly Merl....Nothing wrong with that...Too many years we've "given" guys roles....Let them earn it....Cream rises to the top. Thomas can play...

I am a little curious...how many new receivers do YOU expect to be added? I see them maybe picking up a TE...and a WR....both later rounds...In fact, they're looking at FA TE from VCU that I hope they sign soon...The basketball player...So...I'd only expect them to draft ONE wr...this is a defensive draft....linemen and defense....as usual for me.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
A basketball player? I saw that article.

I think I saw that movie too.

It's called;
"Fendi Onobun2; This Time We're Serious!"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly Merl....Nothing wrong with that...Too many years we've "given" guys roles....Let them earn it....Cream rises to the top. Thomas can play...

I am a little curious...how many new receivers do YOU expect to be added? I see them maybe picking up a TE...and a WR....both later rounds...In fact, they're looking at FA TE from VCU that I hope they sign soon...The basketball player...So...I'd only expect them to draft ONE wr...this is a defensive draft....linemen and defense....as usual for me.

I expect one. I think that's a nice fit and mix of competition. But I also think it'll be a guy with snaps in college outside and on the LOS.

Ram65

Legend
I ,personally think you are spot on.If my calculations are correct
I see a big jump in the 20+ gains.But the big difference will be in how
those gains are obtained.I Think McVay and company will find a way
to make Tavon a more consistent vertical threat,something that (pick a reason)
the previous regime failed to do.We do not have a "take the top off" receiver
on the roster.We may draft one,but if we do,how much will he contribute his
rookie year?It's not like we have a top ten pick.
That being said,Tavon is the only receiver capable of blowing past coverage.
Don't get me wrong,he will need McVay to be creative to make it happen.
But I have faith Martz.2 will get it done.

Nice post Merlin. I agree with some of your points above about Tavon's limitations. I personally think that Tavon will never be a legitimate WR. My only hope in this upcoming season is that they use him as a "take the top off" player ; running alot of 9 routes and deep posts which will hopefully take one of the safeties deep leaving more open space underneath.
With that being said, I think he will be in the 6 - 8 TD range. After watching NFL Network this evening, they happened to cover the Eagles with the additions of Alshon Jeffrey and Torrey Smith. They showed their production along with Jordan Matthews. When talking about TD production, all of them averaged about 6 TD's per season, with none having more than 10 in any one season. And, this would be with better than average QB's throwing them the ball. In addition to this, only 5 receivers in the league last year had more than 10 TD's, and 2 of them were from the same team ; Jordy Nelson & Davonte Freeman.
The Rams offense would have to show overwhelming improvement in order to provide Tavon enough touches in space to produce 12 or more TD's. Up to this point in his career, he has only been able to produce as a receiver with man coverage. The game against the Colts a couple of years is good example. Seems that teams have played mostly zone against the Rams with Tavon on the field with much success.

I concur with getting Tavon deep. Britt seemed to be the deep thread last year. The year before IIRC Tavon did have a few long catches yet the Rams used the TE on deep seem routes more. The Rams also have not had the best QB play either. Goff can hit him deep and Tavon can get behind anyone. I can't remember what announcer it was that said Tavon is a good route runner. The problem with Fisher's offense was they kept throw the smoke route/WR screen to him with no surprise to the defense. You have mix up his routes.

I think we are forgetting ta's value as a decoy he is some one the df has to account for. pluss he is a very good blocker for his size

IMHO, Tavon is neither a wide receiver or a running back. Though he can contribute at both. He is a good punt returner. his best year was 2015 with 10 TDs (5 receiving, 4 rushing and 1 return) and 44 first downs (21 receiving and 23 rushing). If he can duplicate that with consistency he will be as we thought he might be. A multi-faceted weapon with many ways to contribute (including as a decoy) and score. Is it surprising 2015 was his best year with Gurley running like a madman? I don't want to put parameters to determine success or failure except for TDs. Give us 10 or more a year and we should be happy.

I don't know what happened last year. You are right about 2015. He was used as a multi-faceted weapon and a decoy. I like seeing Tavon get the ball at inside the 10 yard line. He can score running or catching. I like Tavon as a runner. A even like the runs up the middle but, they should be used to set up other plays. That TD that GRob had the penalty on was a thing of beauty. Lighting in a bottle when he gets a little blocking. I expect the blocking to improve greatly this year.

I could see 1000 yards and 10 TD's. McVay has to mix it up. Get him deep more. Get him in space more putting him in 3 WR/Te bunches. Letting him run a little more. The more success Tavon has the more it opens up others on offense.

Zero

Pro Bowler
My wife says the same....no, not about a slow guy who doesn't catch....figuring me out. LOLOL

And like @Soul Surfer pointed out, he's not slow in any way. He's a pass catcher...I'm sure nerves had more to do with his drops....If he can improve his concentration...and get some damn love from the coaches and play a little more...We'll all see what some have glimpsed.
I was just yankin your chain Bro.I understand your point.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I concur with getting Tavon deep. Britt seemed to be the deep thread last year. The year before IIRC Tavon did have a few long catches yet the Rams used the TE on deep seem routes more. The Rams also have not had the best QB play either. Goff can hit him deep and Tavon can get behind anyone. I can't remember what announcer it was that said Tavon is a good route runner. The problem with Fisher's offense was they kept throw the smoke route/WR screen to him with no surprise to the defense. You have mix up his routes.
Couldn't agree more 65.Everyone including Tavon has been held back
by fisherball.