Measuring Tavon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's a fast guy that doesn't catch the ball real well....There have been 100's of those...Until he learns how to catch in traffic...in the slot...he'll never be much more than a gadget player with a few breakout games.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't speculate what TA will do this coming season. But I'm pretty certain the incoming offensive staff and New HC are smarter and more innovative than Fisher and Boras. McVay will find a way to get TA involved and get him the ball in ways the past coaching staff could never imagine. Not a doubt in my mind McVay head and shoulders above Fisher when it comes to being offensive minded.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
He's a fast guy that doesn't catch the ball real well....There have been 100's of those...Until he learns how to catch in traffic...in the slot...he'll never be much more than a gadget player with a few breakout games.

I think we are forgetting ta's value as a decoy he is some one the df has to account for. pluss he is a very good blocker for his size

Zero

Pro Bowler
Taking T Awesome out of a "middle school offense" and putting him into an actual modern NFL offense will do wonders for the team. I think it's just that simple.
It is Selassie.Pre McVay had no clue how to use T.
I keep sayin we will be callin him "Vertical T" by years end.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Yet you think a slow guy who doesn't catch the ball well will be a Star? (Michael Thomas)
Can't quite figure you out 46.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
IMHO, Tavon is neither a wide receiver or a running back. Though he can contribute at both. He is a good punt returner. his best year was 2015 with 10 TDs (5 receiving, 4 rushing and 1 return) and 44 first downs (21 receiving and 23 rushing). If he can duplicate that with consistency he will be as we thought he might be. A multi-faceted weapon with many ways to contribute (including as a decoy) and score. Is it surprising 2015 was his best year with Gurley running like a madman? I don't want to put parameters to determine success or failure except for TDs. Give us 10 or more a year and we should be happy.

…..

Legend
Just keep in mind that this new staff is not married to Tavon in the same manner as Fisher was. The loyalties will only go so far, so Tavon needs to establish something early and often.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Personally I think the new contract was the worst thing the Fisher era did to the Rams.

While TA is a decent gimmick player as nearly everyone has said he is not a good WR and has not shown the progress to give any hope that he will become one. As far as the "take the top off" skill, he doesn't get off the LOS very well and he doesn't have the top end speed to fill that roll.

He has quickness and is shifty with the ball in his hands hence the good open space abilities but I just don't seehim being worth the contract.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I think Tavon gets 1 year to fill the #1 spot. McVay says his Offense requires that "Take the top off" receiver. In my mind, that's gonna be Tavon's test.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Something else that can easily be overlooked when you're just stat checking on T Awesome...

Just his presence on the field requires the defense to account for him. This can open things up for other players by design. T Awesome doesn't get anything in the stat line... but he can be the main reason for a particular play's success.

I know other teams hate having to prepare for him.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Something else that can easily be overlooked when you're just stat checking on T Awesome...

Just his presence on the field requires the defense to account for him. This can open things up for other players by design. T Awesome doesn't get anything in the stat line... but he can be the main reason for a particular play's success.

I know other teams hate having to prepare for him.

Very true.

And I don't agree with the statement Tavon is shifty but he isn't fast. He certainly is. He can blow by defenders but the problem is catching the ball when it's thrown to him. Remember McVay has a little Martz in him with the stacked formations and freeing guy up with motion and combo routes. I don't think Tavon is going to have a problem getting off the line this year.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He was always a terrible fit for Fisherball
That^^^ is why I expect more consistent play from him under the new regime. Consistent being the key word.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Very true.

And I don't agree with the statement Tavon is shifty but he isn't fast. He certainly is. He can blow by defenders but the problem is catching the ball when it's thrown to him. Remember McVay has a little Martz in him with the stacked formations and freeing guy up with motion and combo routes. I don't think Tavon is going to have a problem getting off the line this year.
I don't understand how anyone can think a 4.34 is slow.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've made my opinion of Tavon well known. On two boards, actually.

But we're stuck with him for another year because of that damned contract extension that Fisher insisted upon.

Sigh...

Like others have said, this new staff gives Tavon his best chance to succeed. Let's hope he can take advantage. But I'm not holding my breath.

Tavon relies on his open field instincts and speed too much.

I don't think he's football smart, frankly. Reading D's, getting open, poor hands, poor route running, short, small catch radius, alligator hands at times, etc. Same with PR duties, sprinkled with too many bad decisions. Same with RB duties that have to be trick or gadget plays.

My prediction? Tavon is 60% likely to be on another team in '18. Probably traded for a low round draft pick, maybe a 6th. Then again, he's probably untradeable with that ridiculous contract. Make my prediction that he's 70% gone, but because he was a humiliating release.

Not a big Tavon fan, obviously. Huge draft mistake. Huge contract extension mistake.

Geez...

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
At his best, he could be Tyreek Hill on the field - dangerous in all facets of an offense and special teams.

What holds him back, currently, is a lack of other options in the passing game - the guys who D-coordinators have to gameplan for are useless if the gameplan can just be, "Meh, double this kid, they've got nobody else who can catch a cold" - along with some physical limitations. Trouble getting off press-man coverage makes it incredibly hard for anyone to be a true gamebreaking WR. So do bad or mediocre hands.

He's a talented guy, but one who needs to be schemed open. Maybe McVay has ideas on how to do that other than "Hey, what if we line him up IN THE BACKFIELD? OMG I'M SO ICONOCLASTIC, A WR IN THE BACKFIELD, THEY'LL NEVER SEE IT COMING!"

A55VA6

Legend
You know what I want to see from Tavon? After catching a ball or fielding a punt, don't just stand there or run east west... catch, accelerate, make defenders look like fools.