McVay’s growth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’ve been an ANGELS FAN for years.My dad had a terminal disease(s),but if The Angels were making a run like The SF Giants he would have lived easily 2 months longer & been excited everyone of those days.Had an Old buddy that was a Sports Forest Gump that lived as a NAVY Bos’n retired post office veteran.He made it through the Boston winning it all to break the Curse.I watched it with him knowing he was ready to go.He was in a Miserable Hospice place.
I told him The Red Sox just won the World Series. Whispered in his ear he could go now.Not sure if I told him I lived him then.It didn’t matter because he knew it.I compared the 2 differences & know who the better man was as well.I know myself as well in knowing I care & have always been there.
As I right this I start another day.It gives me strength & knowing things can get better.I always had FAITH as A RAMS Fan. If you don’t think The Rams are living a dream.? That’s okay your living in mine.
I’ve been very BLESSED!! Jalen RAMsey shows it every time he goes on the field.Look into his eyes. Ask Copper Kupp what he believes & Williams #11 what he plays for? I don’t know much except when I was drunk under the bleachers at Training Camp & the BEER lines were closed.Was going to buy Bubba Ram & Veteran Ram a beer. I talked to this Woman Police officer about my story on The Rams coming to HOLLYWOOD PARK. St. Louis Rams had some Great Memories & Ram Fans have had to make choices. I am a TRUE RAMS Fan.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah, we're not big fans of wasting time so it's difficult for us to understand the practice.

Not a waste of time, because I shave in the shower, however, maybe you don't shower everyday either. so in that case, I understand. Nothing wrong with not shaving BTW, it's just that I have a routine and that includes a shave.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hahahahahahaha!!!! The hyperbole on that trade thread is off the charts!!!! I'm surprised there are any of us left after how many people threatened to "take a year off" or quit the team altogether. What in the actual?? Only person I know of who followed through on that was one of maybe two female members of this board. She was clearly more of a Goff fan than a Rams fan. Shame...

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Not a waste of time, because I shave in the shower, however, maybe you don't shower everyday either. so in that case, I understand. Nothing wrong with not shaving BTW, it's just that I have a routine and that includes a shave.
Shaving is 5 minutes/3 minutes/whatever I could be doing anything else. There's just not a strong case to be made for me to do it.

And if there's nothing wrong with not shaving then why do you think everyone else needs to shave?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Mcvays final problem to solve is the secondary issue. He has to figure this out if he wants to win a Super Bowl.

It needs to be addressed both by personnel decisions and schematically. I don’t think anyone here doubt he will figure it out within the next few weeks.
I agree as well. Last year it was lights out this year it feels a little scary. I believe it is the scheme. This is the same personnel minus JJ3 and Hill. Long and Rochelle have negated that piece of the puzzle. Not sure Fuller and Rapp have solved JJ3. Not sure the Ramsey star position is an experiment and not sure 8t is working. Last year our D didn't start clicking until week 5, but we should be farther ahead than last year because 2 years in the scheme.

We need to play way tighter we are giving too plays up by playing too far off the LOS.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think some of the thread has gotten reductive.

I really was just trying to point out how much McVay has obviously grown and adapted. His hiring of coordinators is pretty exceptional and the Rams organization would seem to be an ideal destination for coaches who want to learn and move up in the league. We know there are a few scenarios where the Rams lose both O'Connel and Morris after this season.

And I really do think that not enough is being made on this board with how much McVay has adapted HIS offense to fit Stafford and how open he is to modifications/tweaks.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
I greatly admire Shanahan's running attack and play calling.
I greatly admire McVay's passing attack, general innovation, coaching hires, player acquisition decisiveness (eg Stafford) and leadership.
Passing league. Advantage McVay.
Plus the Rams scouting is outstanding and I bet McVay has a hand in that too.

BC

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

I really was just trying to point out how much McVay has obviously grown and adapted. His hiring of coordinators is pretty exceptional and the Rams organization would seem to be an ideal destination for coaches who want to learn and move up in the league. We know there are a few scenarios where the Rams lose both O'Connel and Morris after this season.

And I really do think that not enough is being made on this board with how much McVay has adapted HIS offense to fit Stafford and how open he is to modifications/tweaks.
This is one of the things I liked most when I first heard about the Mcvay hire. Former coaches and players (on the WFT) talked about his communication skills, his willingness to collaborate, his openness to new ideas, his ability to be flexible and to adapt. So these traits IMHO have been present from the beginning.

IMHO with our previous QB, McVay's willingness to adapt was stunted because he had to focus on shoring up weaknesses. But now, with Stafford, McVay's adaptability and openness to change are again on full display.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
There are a lot of people out there who were happy to start taking shots at McVay the last couple of years… saying his ego is too big.. he ruined Goff… etc..

Never bought any of that nonsense.
Look how sharp this guy’s hires have been.. Morris & Carberry both looking excellent.
He brought in Staley to learn as much as he could about the Fangio D and more. He’s helped Morris get up to speed on it.
He’s showing great flexibility and willingness to learn with/from Stafford. This offense looks much different from previous years and incorporates things that obviously make Stafford comfortable. Add to that Kupp talking about being able to give input and help create stuff… and we get to see what McVay is made of.

Love that guy,
Couldn't agree more.
If you're the HC and you don't have a quality staff that totally buys in to what you're trying to accomplish.
It's like trying walk with a 100lbs on your back.
I think he has done a hell of a job replacing all of the coaching talent.

I still have faith for our ST coach as well. I think he steadily improves our coverage and return units
as season goes. Our ST units are very young for the most part and it's gonna take time. But I feel the job will
get done.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Mcvays final problem to solve is the secondary issue. He has to figure this out if he wants to win a Super Bowl.
It's a very complicated system , especially for the DB's add in having a DC in his first year in the scheme
and it's just one of those things that will take a bit longer to settle.

I know we have given up passing yards, but we are in 3 way tie for 2nd in points given up in the passing game
only giving up 2td's.

That being said we are giving up far too many 20+ and 40+ chunk plays
And we need to get home more up front ranking 8th in sacks. with 9.
We will get better every game I have no doubt.

But yea, like you said, we got work to do.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well, it's the age group or the Clooney concept. IMO, everyone seems from 18-35 needs a shave. I've had the younger gentlemen at work ask me: "You shave everyday Den, whether you're going out or not?" And I reply a resounding "Yes." And they just cannot grasp the concept.
Shaving every day is serious stuff. The Romans used flint stones. But they were tough. REALLY tough.

Ellard80

Legend
Well yeah, on this forum too.

Here's a couple gems from @OntarioRam:

"Plenty of room on my anti-McVay bandwagon, boys."

"McVay is extremely arrogant. And not at all accountable. He makes the same mistakes repeatedly, yet gets upset at others for doing so. Always looking to point the finger at others"

"Should have promoted Staley to HC and booted McVay."

"Wtf. Goff is just as good as Stafford. And far younger. Awful trade. Do people still want to call me crazy for dumping on McVay?"

To answer the last question: yes, you are indeed crazy for dumping on McVay. Let us know when we can back up the truck full of crow.
yeah todd gurley was McVay just not using him enough.. eventhough anyone with half a brain could see he was hurt - now he isnt even in the lauge... goff is all McVays fault.....

ill just stop there....

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
I was completely wrong on Stafford. By a country mile. I'll own up to that all day. I thought he was overrated and a guy who couldn't get it done in Detroit. Although the Lions are a crappy franchise, after so much time there, I thought Stafford had to take some blame for that, as well. I thought he was becoming an injury risk too. And I was hardly alone in those sentiments. Watching him now every Sunday, boy, was I wrong. This dude is elite. I am definitely eating crow on that one right now.

The jury is still out on McVay, IMO. I stand by most of my comments on him for now. Of course, time will tell. It's easy to go back and dig out quotes (which I don't have time to do, but if you do that is great) when the Rams are 4-0 and it is September. It is a marathon, not a sprint. What if the Rams lose in the playoffs (God forbid!) while running the ball extremely well when we do hand it off but McVay inexplicably goes extremely pass happy all night, and it burns us? It could easily happen. Among many other nightmare scenarios based on McVay's illustrated shortcomings to date.

For the record, I do think McVay is a good coach. I just disagree with most people on *how* good. I consider him the 2nd best coach in the division, behind Shanahan, and I do suspect Staley will be better with time. But this is an echo chamber, after all, and anyone who doesn't think McVay will retire among the GOATs is clearly an idiot and should be tarred and feathered.
you consider him the 2nd best coach behind a guy who has had 1 winning season in 5 years.

Ellard80

Legend
Hmmm... I think your opinion and many others that have the perception Shanny is a better coach, mostly holds water because the 49ers have won their last 4 meetings against the Rams.

If you look at their head to head record since 2017 regardless of the Shanny has had less to work with narrative, there is another story imo.

Shanny is 5-3 all time vs McVay

The Rams defenses under McVay hasn't been all that great imo.

Other than McVay's 2020 defense, they've been okay but nothing great.

Jared Goff crumbled in a few of these losses and imo, it wasn't simply because of McVay's coaching.

McVay isn't blameless but being outcoached by Shanny is not that black and white imo.

McVay's loss in their second game in 2017 was because he rested many of his starters in their second meeting 2017.

If McVay was 5-3 vs Shanny, I doubt the narrative would be Shanny is the better coach. It would be pretty damn even. Which is how I currently view them today.

11/29/2020San Francisco 49ers23@Los Angeles Rams20LBox
10/18/2020Los Angeles Rams16@San Francisco 49ers24LBox
12/21/2019Los Angeles Rams31@San Francisco 49ers34LBox
10/13/2019San Francisco 49ers20@Los Angeles Rams7LBox
12/30/2018San Francisco 49ers32@Los Angeles Rams48WBox
10/21/2018Los Angeles Rams39@San Francisco 49ers10WBox
12/31/2017San Francisco 49ers34@Los Angeles Rams13LBox
09/21/2017Los Angeles Rams41@San Francisco 49ers39WBox

Hmmm... I think your opinion and many others that have the perception Shanny is a better coach, mostly holds water because the 49ers have won their last 4 meetings against the Rams.

If you look at their head to head record since 2017 regardless of the Shanny has had less to work with narrative, there is another story imo.

Shanny is 5-3 all time vs McVay

The Rams defenses under McVay hasn't been all that great imo.

Other than McVay's 2020 defense, they've been okay but nothing great.

Jared Goff crumbled in a few of these losses and imo, it wasn't simply because of McVay's coaching.

McVay isn't blameless but being outcoached by Shanny is not that black and white imo.

McVay's loss in their second game in 2017 was because he rested many of his starters in their second meeting 2017.

If McVay was 5-3 vs Shanny, I doubt the narrative would be Shanny is the better coach. It would be pretty damn even. Which is how I currently view them today.

11/29/2020San Francisco 49ers23@Los Angeles Rams20LBox
10/18/2020Los Angeles Rams16@San Francisco 49ers24LBox
12/21/2019Los Angeles Rams31@San Francisco 49ers34LBox
10/13/2019San Francisco 49ers20@Los Angeles Rams7LBox
12/30/2018San Francisco 49ers32@Los Angeles Rams48WBox
10/21/2018Los Angeles Rams39@San Francisco 49ers10WBox
12/31/2017San Francisco 49ers34@Los Angeles Rams13LBox
09/21/2017Los Angeles Rams41@San Francisco 49ers39WBox
however is a 16=17 game season its about how you do again all other coaches... not just one.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

I'm very impressed with how McVay has reimagined the offense. I personally thought his older scheme had lost some of its element of surprise and also lacked key personnel to execute which we had in 2017 and 2018. But now McVay has moved forward big time.

With Stafford, an effective pass blocking oline, and better talent at receiver the scheme so far is hitting on all cylinders. Right now it's a classic drop back passing game. Not motion bells and whistles. (Except for one play against the Colts, but McVay will never do that again.)

Under McVay the downfield passing play designs have always been really good, and often great. To me these now seem better than ever. It's Stafford of course.

But it helps a lot to have Jefferson as a full fledged starting receiver instead of a spare part. And DJax is a total wild card who will torment defenses, open up the field for other receivers, and flat out win us big games. And Kupp is playing at an an all pro level.

Last piece is to get the running game and play action going. McVay will then have all the toys in the sandbox to play with.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And if there's nothing wrong with not shaving then why do you think everyone else needs to shave?
I didn’t communicate that I just posted some shave some don’t that’s all. Anyway no worries.