McVay’s growth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
There are a lot of people out there who were happy to start taking shots at McVay the last couple of years… saying his ego is too big.. he ruined Goff… etc..

Never bought any of that nonsense.
Look how sharp this guy’s hires have been.. Morris & Carberry both looking excellent.
He brought in Staley to learn as much as he could about the Fangio D and more. He’s helped Morris get up to speed on it.
He’s showing great flexibility and willingness to learn with/from Stafford. This offense looks much different from previous years and incorporates things that obviously make Stafford comfortable. Add to that Kupp talking about being able to give input and help create stuff… and we get to see what McVay is made of.

Love that guy,

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
McVay, when he eventually wins the Super Bowl, will be the best coach we've ever had. Yes, even over Vermeil and some of the old time coaches I'm too young to remember. Five - soon to be six, bar something horrible - winning seasons? Playoffs in all but four/five of them? I'll take that every day, and especially Sunday.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
There are a lot of people out there who were happy to start taking shots at McVay the last couple of years… saying his ego is too big.. he ruined Goff… etc..

Never bought any of that nonsense.
Yeah, there were a few ppl here who took a lot of shots at MCVay, but not many.

Sorry, but anyone that can't see that McVay is a gifted HC is a numbskull.

TexasRam

Legend
"happy to start taking shots at Mcvay".

I think you would be hard pressed to find any Rams fans happy to take shots at him. He has been a Godsend and has always been acknowledged as a top coach. Hell, the biggest form of flattery is imitation and the whole league is trying to imitate his offense. His record speaks for itself. There is not a Ram fan that wants a different coach.

But he is also human. He demphasized the Oline due to his youth and inexperience and boy did it show. He also became predictable in his play calling. He even admits this himself. So he received due criticism. His offense fell to middle of the pack after two years of being a top offense. But now look at how he responded. Instead of deflecting he self evaluated and adjusted. They made a move for Corbett, chose to start Edwards over Noteboom after realizing the mistake. Changed Oline coaches, adjusted running game schemes. Changed to a more experienced QB and incorporated his wisdom and concepts, went out and got deep threats that didn't exist - Jackson, Tutu etc.

Mcvay is an excellent coach and his best trait is probably his humility. Ability to acknowledge the criticism regarding his blind spots and evolve. This is exactly what he did and why he is back on top again.

TexasRam

Legend
Mcvays final problem to solve is the secondary issue. He has to figure this out if he wants to win a Super Bowl.

It needs to be addressed both by personnel decisions and schematically. I don’t think anyone here doubt he will figure it out within the next few weeks.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We are so lucky to have this guy. Hope he stays here a minimum of 20 more years!

Yeah, lets hope he's developing a nice relationship with Stan's kids. I won't see it, but I'd like McVay to break Don Shula's all time win record right here in L.A.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"happy to start taking shots at Mcvay".

I think you would be hard pressed to find any Rams fans happy to take shots at him. He has been a Godsend and has always been acknowledged as a top coach. Hell, the biggest form of flattery is imitation and the whole league is trying to imitate his offense. His record speaks for itself. There is not a Ram fan that wants a different coach.

But he is also human. He demphasized the Oline due to his youth and inexperience and boy did it show. He also became predictable in his play calling. He even admits this himself. So he received due criticism. His offense fell to middle of the pack after two years of being a top offense. But now look at how he responded. Instead of deflecting he self evaluated and adjusted. They made a move for Corbett, chose to start Edwards over Noteboom after realizing the mistake. Changed Oline coaches, adjusted running game schemes. Changed to a more experienced QB and incorporated his wisdom and concepts, went out and got deep threats that didn't exist - Jackson, Tutu etc.

Mcvay is an excellent coach and his best trait is probably his humility. Ability to acknowledge the criticism regarding his blind spots and evolve. This is exactly what he did and why he is back on top again.
Have to disagree with you… yep, they were happy to jump on him.
Why? There were comments about his ego, his youth, the hype he got.. all things not related to the reasonable criticism he has received.
They disagreed with no preseason action and accused him of thinking he’s smarter than anyone else, etc…

Maybe not on this forum, but it exists.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I was in the hire Shanahan camp, and I was kinda pissed that they hired McVay at only 31, who had far less experience. But I didn't know anything about him, and obviously none of us were in the room when they interviewed him.
A few games into the first year, and I was fully on board.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Maybe not on this forum, but it exists.
Well yeah, on this forum too.

Here's a couple gems from @OntarioRam:

"Plenty of room on my anti-McVay bandwagon, boys."

"McVay is extremely arrogant. And not at all accountable. He makes the same mistakes repeatedly, yet gets upset at others for doing so. Always looking to point the finger at others"

"Should have promoted Staley to HC and booted McVay."

"Wtf. Goff is just as good as Stafford. And far younger. Awful trade. Do people still want to call me crazy for dumping on McVay?"

To answer the last question: yes, you are indeed crazy for dumping on McVay. Let us know when we can back up the truck full of crow.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Well yeah, on this forum too.

Here's a couple gems from @OntarioRam:

"Plenty of room on my anti-McVay bandwagon, boys."

"McVay is extremely arrogant. And not at all accountable. He makes the same mistakes repeatedly, yet gets upset at others for doing so. Always looking to point the finger at others"

"Should have promoted Staley to HC and booted McVay."

"Wtf. Goff is just as good as Stafford. And far younger. Awful trade. Do people still want to call me crazy for dumping on McVay?"

To answer the last question: yes, you are indeed crazy for dumping on McVay. Let us know when we can back up the truck full of crow.
Holy crap. Those are some really bad takes. How did I miss these? Is he on my ignore list and I don't know it?

And speaking of crow, I have some to eat. I said before the Tampa game that may wouldn't be changing anything, specifically in regards to using Jackson more. I was wrong. He actually did change. He did display something he hadn't before. It turns out he does hold some things in reserve and use them when needed. I've never formally eaten crow before so I guess I'll take it raw, unbreaded, and sauceless.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Holy crap. Those are some really bad takes. How did I miss these? Is he on my ignore list and I don't know it?

And speaking of crow, I have some to eat. I said before the Tampa game that may wouldn't be changing anything, specifically in regards to using Jackson more. I was wrong. He actually did change. He did display something he hadn't before. It turns out he does hold some things in reserve and use them when needed. I've never formally eaten crow before so I guess I'll take it raw, unbreaded, and sauceless.

The posts in *that* thread are quite, ummm interesting. Its worth a gander every now and then.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

The posts in *that* thread are quite, ummm interesting. Its worth a gander every now and then.
No wonder, I didn't recognize any of those posts you guys are talking about. I've got to say that the ignore feature on this site is fantastic.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The Thread titled "Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford" started on January 24th and ran for 20+ pages.

It's a great read. The OP suggested the Rams offer John Wolford and a third round pick.

I responded a few pages in stating that Detroit would get much better offers than that ... I am very smart.

Unfortunately, I did not stop there, adding the Rams could not afford it ... I am also kind of stupid.

However, if you read through the thread, many of us were a little dopey.