McVay vs Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams beat the Lions, go deep to the NFC Championship game, or win it all, Stafford is the new Tom Brady. You won't ever be able to count them out when he is on your team. This is insane winning 7 of 8 last games. Rams could do the improbable and win it all! Stafford may be the best vet QB in the NFL. We shall see Sunday! Thanks Carson for the W over the Whiners.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Goff truly has evolved as a QB in the last year or so and is a much better drop back passer than he was with McVay* (drop back denotes non play action). That being said, pressure still wrecks his game and the game will likely either be decided in a shoot out or us getting pressure on him which will be tough but not impossible with that oline.

One criticism of the McVay/Shanahan system is that with the emphasis on run game and play-action there aren't a ton of practice reps for QBs in the straight drop back game leading to QBs who can struggle when forced to drop back again and again and again. Goff, in leaving that system, was able to improve that part of his game. Gaining Stafford as we did, was like gaining a guy who already had 100% experience in that talent tree and we didn't need to worry as much about those practice reps.
This doesn't mesh. Detroit runs the most or second to the most play action passes in the entire league from what I saw last week. I think Miami may be the only team that runs it more. Rams weren't even close.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I agree with this. I do think Goff has gotten better with his coverage reads and making quicker decisions. it's possible defenses have been mixing up the coverage and confused him in the bad games. He still has a long release and lacks mobility but, he can take a hit. As in the past, pressure is his kryptonite. The Rams can't let him sit in the pocket for an extended time. it will be a fun chess match to watch.
Goffs numbers are the same as in 2018 so obviously he hasn't gotten much better. His strength is his accuracy and he actually went to a great team for him. 3 star OL at both Tackle and Center spots which gives him that clean pocket he requires.

Most importantly look at who Detroit has beaten and lost to zero signature wins imo. They score a ton of points but 90% of the teams were sub par teams. They got smoked by the Ravens and lost to Seattle. They have not dominated anyone is that's Goffs fault probably not mainly falling on the defense but Goff is the same.

We stop their running attack and get pressure on him we win it's as simple as that. Even if LaPorta plays he will not be 100% which usually means he will be mostly in affective.

Last edited:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Q
Goff in his first and 2nd full years, a Super Bowl with NO Kupp and a gimpy Gurley. Combined with two games in 2020 with an injured hand.
Vs
Stafford- 4 games from a 10+ year vet in a season where he has Kupp and OBJ.

A bit of an unfair comparison.

Iv’e always maintained Stafford overall edges Goff out due to his ability to respond to pressure but there in no Lombardi or elevated stats without MVP Kupp. Outside of this Kupp factor Staffords Career QB rating is the same as Goff and in fact a bit lower then Goff.

Having said that, I hope Goff has a bad Goff game this Sunday :)
Question who threw those no look passes to Kupp in crucial situations.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This doesn't mesh. Detroit runs the most or second to the most play action passes in the entire league from what I saw last week. I think Miami may be the only team that runs it more. Rams weren't even close.
Yeah.. #2 here.
I feel like it needs to be the backbone for any Goff offense. That's not a dig, just a reality.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Maybe you'd like to look at Detroits offensive snaps the last two years instead of one game?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There has been a “McVay did Goff wrong” narrative going around and McVay himself has said that he could have handled Goff’s departure better.

Obscured by this is the fact that, in six playoff games, Goff had a 57.4 completion percentage, averaged 216 yards per game, and had a passer rating of 79.9.

In his Super Bowl run of four games, Stafford had a 70.0 completion percentage, 297 yards per game, and a passer rating of 108.4.

Goff is welcome to try to “avenge” that.
Yeah it’s funny how no one talks about how Goff’s game bounced between average and poor for 2 straight years leading up to that “done me wrong” trade.

I get it, the media narrative needs to be on the nose rather than the full truth but it’s a bit annoying to hear this regurgitated.

Goff wasn’t traded because he was playing well and getting better each year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
McSnead were counting on Goff taking a step up in 2019 and 20. Thought that he could offset the loss of talent after the 2018 SB run. He never did. Never got to where he could handle an all out pass rush and hit a Kupp to win the game. They wanted him to think faster and off schedule and to get them out of bad situations. But he couldn't. There was no improvement in that regard his last 2 years here. Quite frankly I don't see that much improvement now. I have always thought he could take us to a SB win, but we all know our SB win would never have gotten past TB. If it did and they got to the SB he could have never pulled off that last drive.

It doesn't matter that he probably has the talent and is tough enough physically. He just doesn't have the ultimate confidence in himself to risk it enough to do what Stafford did. The same kind of confidence to risk it all to get Stafford here in the first place.

I was against the trade at first but by the time the off season was over I was all in. Then that SB and I think we all can see that Stafford is a totally different level from Goff. Stats aside. Goff can win a SB with his team, but not with the type of obstacles Stafford had.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have a good feeling about this game! Stafford > Goff and this game will show the lions fans along with the rest of the NFL.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think it's a mistake to marginalize Goff and what he has been able to do. He's developed in ways that McVay didn't believe he would. He was forced to play behind a very poor OL his last two years and people say he's lacking in talent? Who was that playing in 2018 behind a decent OL?

Respect the player that he is now, not the one marginalized by McVay. Morris better damn well respect the Lions or the Rams will get pummelled. The Lions didn't drawup their schedule. They played who the NFL told them to play. They are well coached, especially with Ben Johnson as their OC. Johnson definitely will be a HC next season. You might not respect Goff but Johnson is a huge reason Jared's career has been resurrected. He's done a lot with less talent than the Rams have on offense.

IMO the Lions win or lose on how well their OL plays. That OL is highly regarded but it's had it's share of breakdowns as well. That OL will have to prove it can run and pass block well in this game for the Lions to win. A breakdown in either one will lose the game for them. Their offense is predicated on a balanced threat. The Ram's offense can survive if they have to pass block to come from behind, but I don't think the Lions can afford to be one dimensional and win. If the Rams can get out big early and force the Lions to be one dimensional I don't think they have the WR room to win a game like that.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
I was Goff's biggest fangirl, I nearly quit on the Rams after the trade I was seeing red, that was my QB, that was our future and we threw it away (so I thought) It took me months to calm down and watch the team again, that Suberbowl win made me happy to eat crow and then I could step back and look at it rationally and know that getting Matthew was the right call even if I didn't like how it was done.
I do think Stafford is the better QB, Goff is good, is he great? I mean he has taken two garbage franchises and made them contenders so in that sense I would say yes, but can he be a Superbowl winning QB is still the question.

Anyway I think we match up pretty even with the Lions, things that give me pause are our defense at times and our kicker situation. If we play a mistake free game I think we have the edge over the Lions. Just hoping we play our best ball and the pressure gets to them (sorry Goff)

jjab360

Legend
I think it's a mistake to marginalize Goff and what he has been able to do. He's developed in ways that McVay didn't believe he would. He was forced to play behind a very poor OL his last two years and people say he's lacking in talent? Who was that playing in 2018 behind a decent OL?

Respect the player that he is now, not the one marginalized by McVay. Morris better damn well respect the Lions or the Rams will get pummelled. The Lions didn't drawup their schedule. They played who the NFL told them to play. They are well coached, especially with Ben Johnson as their OC. Johnson definitely will be a HC next season. You might not respect Goff but Johnson is a huge reason Jared's career has been resurrected. He's done a lot with less talent than the Rams have on offense.

IMO the Lions win or lose on how well their OL plays. That OL is highly regarded but it's had it's share of breakdowns as well. That OL will have to prove it can run and pass block well in this game for the Lions to win. A breakdown in either one will lose the game for them. Their offense is predicated on a balanced threat. The Ram's offense can survive if they have to pass block to come from behind, but I don't think the Lions can afford to be one dimensional and win. If the Rams can get out big early and force the Lions to be one dimensional I don't think they have the WR room to win a game like that.
Idk about that Stafford played with roughly the same OL in 2021 that Goff had in 2020. Really the only difference was Brian Allen at C instead of Austin Blythe. Raw stats Goff was only sacked only 22 times in 2019 and 23 times in 2020. Stafford was sacked 30 times in 2021. I think the OL issues were overblown in Goff's last two years. They were good enough to win with, he just refused to push the ball down the field.

Stafford threw 41 TDs to Goff's 20 with a similar OL and receiving corps.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Less talent?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I think what it takes to beat Goff. We have McVay scheming against him. We have Aubrey Pleasant who knows everything about their Defense which is their weakness. We have a bunch of seasoned vets who won a SB. Stafford is more familiar with Ford field than Goff if that matters.

Like I have said in other posts we have Sean McVay who is way better than Dan Campbell. Campbell is reckless ala Staley was it will be their undoing.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was reading the overall stats just a week ago. Not from one game.
Perhaps his improvement isn't linearly attached to a number of snaps? Maybe it would be worth actually watching him in the drop back game to see how much better he processes things in said game? I think maybe you're confusing a tangential offensive statistic for an improvement in his play. If you'd like to look at stats, may I suggest comparing his EPA in the drop back game with the Rams vs his EPA in the drop back game with the Lions. I believe it's more relevant and the statistic you're looking for.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Goffs numbers are the same as in 2018 so obviously he hasn't gotten much better. His strength is his accuracy and he actually went to a great team for him. 3 star OL at both Tackle and Center spots which gives him that clean pocket he requires.

Most importantly look at who Detroit has beaten and lost to zero signature wins imo. They score a ton of points but 90% of the teams were sub par teams. They got smoked by the Ravens and lost to Seattle. They have not dominated anyone is that's Goffs fault probably not mainly falling on the defense but Goff is the same.

We stop their running attack and get pressure on him we win it's as simple as that. Even if LaPorta plays he will not be 100% which usually means he will be mostly in affective.

Don't hold back. I hope you are right.

I still say he has gotten better at his reads. He has made quicker decisions over the past two seasons. Laporta has been his go-to guy ie crutch when he needs help. Goff and the Lions have gotten off to some fast starts. Both are much better when playing from ahead. Goff still gets rattled when pressured. Jahmry Gibbs' quickness and speed will put some pressure on the Rams defense to help out Goff.

Should be a great match-up

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
418500942_1049918099417594_164243255540581935_n.jpg