McVay vs Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
Stafford and special teams will tell the tail of the outcome.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Aim for their QB and he will shrink
World War Ii Vintage GIF by US National Archives

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I've watched a bunch of Detroit's game, Goff to me seems exactly the same as he was here. That is not a slag on him I just feel he can't run, he hasn't added anything new to his arsenal. He is still pin point accurate if given time. If I was McVay I would look at the games they lost this season to see anything others did to augment his Goff knowledge to exploit.

The key against Detroit is if LaPorta doesn't play it will limit their trifecta of STBrown and Williams making them more 2 dimensional.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I've watched a bunch of Detroit's game, Goff to me seems exactly the same as he was here. That is not a slag on him I just feel he can't run, he hasn't added anything new to his arsenal. He is still pin point accurate if given time. If I was McVay I would look at the games they lost this season to see anything others did to augment his Goff knowledge to exploit.

The key against Detroit is if LaPorta doesn't play it will limit their trifecta of STBrown and Williams making them more 2 dimensional.
LaPorta isn't playing. Dan Campbell is trying to bullshit so the Rams have to prepare for him. In the event that he plays, he's going to be a decoy not very healthy.

Ram65

Legend
My opinion is that Goff ticked off McVay that last year he was he. The looks and verbal exchanges (just guessing) were not pleasant. McVay had to hold back what he thought during the games. I think was studying and preparing enough. Of course, it's not going to get out in a public forum. The trade said it all IMP.

I still like watching Goff. He can a licking and keeps coming back for more. I'm sure McVay knows his weakness as does Morris.

Ram65

Legend

I agree with this. I do think Goff has gotten better with his coverage reads and making quicker decisions. it's possible defenses have been mixing up the coverage and confused him in the bad games. He still has a long release and lacks mobility but, he can take a hit. As in the past, pressure is his kryptonite. The Rams can't let him sit in the pocket for an extended time. it will be a fun chess match to watch.

sloramfan

Starter
funny thread... glad to see it get back on track.. NOT!!!

then again i was a goff camp ramfan, and still like to see him succede...

just not this week...hell no!!

DESTROY GOFF!!!!!!!!!

go rams

slo

RamWoodie

Legend
Goff's a lot better if you ask me...but his main problem is still picking up on the blitz and he still kinda folds under pressure.

As for McVay, he admitted long ago that he could have handled things better when it came to the trade...and the type of person Goff is, I don't think it's about revenge as much as it is about showing he's a better QB than when he left...he just ain't Stafford.

dang

Legend
Yup.

I also bristle at a lot of the "Goff playing the best football of his life" stuff...

It's like those Viking and Chiefs games in 18 don't exist.
Chiefs game was a great team effort. Vikings was all Goff. One of best games by a Rams QB that Ive seen.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Old book on Goff seemed to be to blitz him early and often. Morris blitzes a little more lately, but he still seems like a "bend but don't break" guy.

Will be interesting to see whether or not the Rams dial up more pressure packages on Sunday...

RamWoodie

Legend
Don't forget this folks...THE RAM DEFENSE HAS TO TACKLE BETTER...THAT IS A HUGE POINT!!!

WRAP UP AND TAKE THEM DOWN!!! McVay has even said that of late.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
Detroit are going to take the pressure off Goff by pounding the ball with Gibbs and Montgomery. If our run defence, which has been doing well, can hold up, the pressure then switches to Goff to beat us through the air. We have all seen over the years that, solid quarterback though he is, Goff can crumble under pressure, so the onus is on Morris to dial up blitzes and the secondary to limit Goff’s options downfield. If our coverage is good, we win this game easily.

My main concern (apart from getting screwed by the refs) is clock management. The home crowd is going to be loud for the Lions’ first home playoff game and we have to ensure that McVay doesn’t burn timeouts unnecessarily.

TexasRam

Legend
Old book on Goff seemed to be to blitz him early and often. Morris blitzes a little more lately, but he still seems like a "bend but don't break" guy.

Will be interesting to see whether or not the Rams dial up more pressure packages on Sunday...
Agreed and this will be the biggest factor in the Rams stopping Goff.

If we try to rush 4 or the occasional 5 with Jones against the Detroit Oline, it's going to be a long day and a bad outcome for the Rams.

I think overall, Raheem has done an excellent job this year with the talent he has.

But this is a game where some unpredictable blitz packages to get the QB's timing off could pay dividens.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Just like in the old days... let's find a way to get McVay talking in Goff's earpiece for the first 25 seconds of the play clock.

oldnotdead

Legend
Geez dudes, like Stafford doesn't throw INTs under pressure? Matt throws more INTs including those which he isn't under pressure than Goff did while he was a Ram. Funny how time blurs the memory.

Besides that what HC refused to allow his QB to line up until there were only 15 seconds left? Or have you guys forgotten that? Obstensively it was because Jared couldn't read defenses. Well, he reads them just fine in Detroit, doesn't he? You guys ignore how badly McVay treated Goff yet it's all Goff's fault? You ignore all of Stafford's INTs both forced and unforced. You put it down to his gunslinger mentality....how about misreading the defense?

Both guys are elite level QBs on their respective teams. Give credit where it's due and criticism when earned. People seem to put the 2018 SB loss on Goff. But it was simply McVay being outcoached in the same way Sean outcoached the Bengals in LVI.

May both teams play their best football and let the chips fall where they may. May the refs quit padding their bank accounts in this game and call it straight and be a non-factor as they should always be. That is all I ask of this game because in that context the Rams should win this game. Without LaPorta, Goff is at a huge disadvantage. Matt will have Kupp, Nacua, Robinson and Atwell and Williams at RB. The Ram OL is as good or better than Detroit's. If the Rams can run the ball it will be too much for the Lion's defense. It's far more crucial for the Lions to be able to run. That's why the Rams need to come out hot and not let up offensively. I don't think the Lions can win a shootout.

The Ram offense mismatches the Detroit defense. The Rams are built to come from behind if they have too. Without controlling the TOP the Lions will be hurting. It's why Morris can't play soft as he tends to do and allow the opposition to hang around. Morris lacks the killer instinct you want in your DC. He needs to put his play it safe inclinations into the closet and lock the door. He needs to understand his HC interview starts on Sunday. He goes ultra-soft and conservative and I would bet he won't get hired as a HC. Owners like HC with fire in their bellies, with a killer instinct when it comes to winning, something Morris has only shown sporadically.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Besides that what HC refused to allow his QB to line up until there were only 15 seconds left? Or have you guys forgotten that? Obstensively it was because Jared couldn't read defenses. Well, he reads them just fine in Detroit, doesn't he? You guys ignore how badly McVay treated Goff yet it's all Goff's fault?
McVay and Goff's in helmet communication was not much different than any other NFL coach. What do you think he was doing with Kirk Cousins in Washington? NFL films did a feature showing it and the general public - including you - overreacted to it.
Give credit where it's due and criticism when earned.
OK. Simply repeating the same narratives over and over doesn't make them true. McVay/Goff collaboration led to two Pro Bowl seasons from Goff and a Super Bowl appearance. Yet you're still trying to sell that McVay "sabotaged" Goff.

You're wrong.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Goff doesn't get rattled, but, you can affect his mechanics by getting pressure up the middle and not letting him step into his throws. I'm expecting a lot of stunts and blitzes by Jones up the gut. Johnson will counter with screens.
If our Rams dont stop the run, goff will kill us. Sell out on the run. Then go after goff

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The biggest improvement from 2020 Goff is his Oline and Running game. That is what our D has to beat. Then, like any other pocket QB he is very beatable

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lions OC Ben Johnson is a hot HC candidate again.

He’s knows the Rams are familiar with Goff, so I expect a few surprises in his game plan. He is a creative playcaller.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
There has been a “McVay did Goff wrong” narrative going around and McVay himself has said that he could have handled Goff’s departure better.

Obscured by this is the fact that, in six playoff games, Goff had a 57.4 completion percentage, averaged 216 yards per game, and had a passer rating of 79.9.

In his Super Bowl run of four games, Stafford had a 70.0 completion percentage, 297 yards per game, and a passer rating of 108.4.

Goff is welcome to try to “avenge” that.