McVay regrets sitting starters last season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Honestly I don't think the loss had anything to do with resting starters.

More to do with lack of playoff experience.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did anyone other than Peter Schrager hear McVay say this? Because until there's verification of this said conversation, I'm calling this whole thing, and the reason you're now having this spirited debste, one big load of crap!

So, nothing that ever is spoken by anyone and is quoted or confirmed by another source is made up? And Shraeger, who has been at the Rams facility, did the preseason games, is going to reside at their stadium, and has earned the trust of the organisation is going to throw away all of it by making up a simple story about what McVay told him. A quote that really wasn't even a secret.

Talk about a pile of crap.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm not terribly concerned with going undefeated. I'd still sit our key players. Gurley should get rest, Big Whit, Goff, and anybody with any sort of lingering injury. Players like Gurley and Goff getting injured ruin our chances at winning the Superbowl, so why risk it.

Ellard80

Legend
Whatever is not a beat reporter. He does know McVay. Why is it out of the realm of possibility that McVay would say this?

Yes you are calling Shraeger a liar.

I have heard McVay say that he would have done things differently if he could do it again. So, maybe Shraeger thought it was an interesting comment and asked McVay to explain it further. Whatever has plugged the Rams plenty. You don't think McVay would return the favor and give him something for the show?

I guess you naysayers don't believe anything that you don't read in quotes. Here is a quote for you - " Quit hijacking a thread with your inane contrarian point of view. If you don't like a topic, move on, instead of redirecting the thread." - Elmgrovegnome

Seriously don't tell me what the F I really mean.. I have no feeling towards this Shrager person one way or the other. I don't see any actual quote from Shraeger either - so how am I calling a dude a liar who I really don't even know what he truly said or didn't say? I've just never heard McVay say this - even though some of you have said he has. Seems like a pretty dramatic thing for him to say that I can find no reference to - it's pretty reasonable for anyone to be skeptical and want to see an actual quote. It's also not hijacking a thread to question if McVay really said that or not - heck he might have, but all I'm asking is to see it... anywhere.

Plus I actually might agree with the idea that we shouldn't have rested the starters.

Wow dude seriously...

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seriously don't tell me what the F I really mean.. I have no feeling towards this Shrager person one way or the other. I don't see any actual quote from Shraeger either - so how am I calling a dude a liar who I really don't even know what he truly said or didn't say? I've just never heard McVay say this - even though some of you have said he has. Seems like a pretty dramatic thing for him to say that I can find no reference to - it's pretty reasonable for anyone to be skeptical and want to see an actual quote. It's also not hijacking a thread to question if McVay really said that or not - heck he might have, but all I'm asking is to see it... anywhere.

Plus I actually might agree with the idea that we shouldn't have rested the starters.

Wow dude seriously...

How do you quote a guy saying something behind the scenes? And why is it so fucking implausible to think that McVay wouldn't give one of the Rams biggest advocates and friend of the organization some info to use on his show? What is so unbelievable about that?

So, you didn't believe him. So you think he lied. If he lied he's a liar, but you aren't calling him one. Got it.

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
Peter Shraeger claims that McVay told him that hated the way they finished the season. They put all of their bench players in, they lost to the 49ers, and limped into the playoffs.

He said this on Good Morning Football. So did anyone else hear or read this?

I know we were split on the decision to rest the starters. I hated it. Hopefully he throws that out the window. Play them. If they get a big lead bring in the back ups.

If this is McVay's biggest regret I'm happy with that, he's still learning as a Head Coach and it promises to be a fantastic ride!

Loving the late night / early morning games here in the UK.

#HornsUp

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It's clear from last season that we lost the momentum going into the playoffs. @-X- said it earlier in the thread. You build your momentum and try your best not to lose it, because thats what can help you through some games.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This thread is halitosis, if he said it, if he didn't. Easy solution play them one quarter. Vermeil did it in 1999 they finished that season playing the Eagles, Warner and others played and then the backups came in after the first quarter....Easy solution.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This thread is halitosis, if he said it, if he didn't. Easy solution play them one quarter. Vermeil did it in 1999 they finished that season playing the Eagles, Warner and others played and then the backups came in after the first quarter....Easy solution.
Only 97 pages to go!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Only 97 pages to go!

In fact, in that game backup QB Paul Justin was hurt, didn't realize he was hurt or how he got hurt, but Joe Germaine came in and it's then I realized he (Germaine) didn't have it. In fact, Martz disliked Germaine so much, he made Jamie Martin change his number from 9 to 8 because the number 9 reminded him of Germaine.
front.jpg

572018ecc4744.image.jpg

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Joe Germaine wasn’t the best QB for us, but how is that fact germane to this thread? See what I did there? :rimshot::confused: Ha ha, kidding.

I felt our lack of playoff experience and the issue A certain player had in his difficulty returning punts played into the situation more than resting our starters likely did. Taking a team with a culture of losing into the playoffs often exposes your lack of playoff cred. Lack of experience as a team in the playoffs is very real. But there is such a thing as momentum too... however the Rams are a young team that played scared IMHO. I supported resting our guys, I’m second guessing that now. I think building a winning culture means you don’t tank the unimportant games. It’s about winning despite the odds or situation. Winning at all costs. Laser focus on a winning mindset. At least that’s where I am now. Horns up.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Honestly I don't think the loss had anything to do with resting starters.

More to do with lack of playoff experience.

This, more than any other reasoning. I just don't buy the momentum garbage.

There were a lot of times in the past where teams either won their last game and lost the following playoff game, or lost their last game and won the following playoff game.

Here's a few Rams playoff results where last game "momentum" was not gained or lost based on outcome.

1967:
Rams last game:
Rams 34, Colts 10
playoff: Packers 28, Rams 7
notes: GB last game was 24-17 loss to lowly Steelers where QB Starr was pulled early following a pick 6; GB was riding 2-game losing streak; GB had playoff exp and went on to win 2nd SB.

1969:
Rams last game:
Colts 13, Rams 7
playoff: Vikings 23, Rams 20
notes: LA was riding 3-game losing streak; MIN last game was 10-3 loss to ATL where QB Kapp was pulled early after going 0-4 passing. (Okay so something had to give here!)

1974:
Rams last game:
Rams 19, Bills 14
playoff: Rams 19, Redskins 10
notes: Redskins last game was 42-0 win over CHI

1975:
Rams
(& Steelers) last game: Rams 10, Steelers 3
playoff: Rams 35, Cardinals 23
notes: in that last game PIT played backup QB Gilliam & later went on to win SB that year; LA starting QB & RB out due to injury status

1979:
Rams last game:
Saints 29, Rams 14
playoff: Rams 21, Cowboys 19
notes: Cowboys last game was emotional 35-34 comeback win vs Redskins

and the 1999 season where the Rams lost their last game to the Eagles and won the SB (mentioned by another poster).

Lets go with more recent games with teams who lost their last reg season game and won the SB. (So much for momentum):

2012:
Ravens last game:
23 - 17 loss to Bengals
SB: Ravens 34, Whiners 31
notes: Flacco & Rice pulled early in last game vs Bengals

2014:
Cheatriots last game:
17-9 loss to Bills
SB: Cheats 28, Shehawks 24
notes: Grap in for Brady in 2nd half

2017:
Eagles last game:
6-0 loss to Cowboys
SB: Eagles 41, Cheatriots 28
notes: Foles pulled vs Cowboys after going 4-11, 1 pick, and 9.3 QB rating

So yeah, in conclusion we know McVay is hard on himself and that story is an example. The Falcons had more experience, the Rams had more turnovers. Momentum myth is bunk. If key starters got hurt in the last game McVay would've been roasted. But on the other hand, I hate giving the whiners a free win! :mad:

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I not as sure that resting the starters in week 17 was as much to blame for losing that game as was our overall lack of experience. The game seemed too big for the Rams. The falcons were an experienced playoff team who came in and took care of business.

I mean, how does an all pro returner forget how to catch a punt, or is too scared to run up and make a fair catch?

This year nearly the entire roster will have been there. HUGE difference.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Speaking of resting, @Elmgrovegnome and @Ellard80 please give it a rest or take it to pm's. Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted Rock em Sock em Robots for Christmas but got socks and shoes instead. :mad:

giphy.gif

Ellard80

Legend
How do you quote a guy saying something behind the scenes? And why is it so freaking implausible to think that McVay wouldn't give one of the Rams biggest advocates and friend of the organization some info to use on his show? What is so unbelievable about that?

So, you didn't believe him. So you think he lied. If he lied he's a liar, but you aren't calling him one. Got it.

Being that I've never seen an actual quote from McVay or an actul quote from Shraeger not sure how it's not understandable to any rational person to see how I'd want to see more actual evidence.

That's my final comment on the matter.