McVay regrets sitting starters last season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Peter Shraeger claims that McVay told him that hated the way they finished the season. They put all of their bench players in, they lost to the 49ers, and limped into the playoffs.

He said this on Good Morning Football. So did anyone else hear or read this?

I know we were split on the decision to rest the starters. I hated it. Hopefully he throws that out the window. Play them. If they get a big lead bring in the back ups.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've always been of the opinion that if you don't have momentum, you build it. And if you already have momentum, you don't kill it.

Tano

Legend
But we are going to be resting our starters during the wild card game this year

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I agree as long as none of our players get injured. If anyone important gets injured that week, I think it's a horrible decision.

;)

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think we will tie up home field by week 15 so with 2 games before playoffs how do you play the starters?

I would play them at least until halftime. Keep the starters in the mode of being part of the game and at the mindset and speed that they need to be going into the playoffs.

I realize there is a bye but that is part of the playoff mindset so I am not worried about a drop off.

If the rams clinch home field with 2 weeks left they can't go into costanza shrinkage/frightened turtle mode for 2 whole games with a subsequent bye week. That would be asking for trouble and I could see the team coming out flat.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
At least McVay is willing to admit his mistakes and learn from it

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dare I say They may also be playing for the perfect record. :hiding:
The truth is it's now possible. I predicted 14-2 before the season because of his tendency last year to rest starters at the end. I HATED to see us rest starters against the Niners for many reasons last year. The peddle will be mashed to the floor until we experience that 1st round bye... (don't count the reg season bye)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I've always been of the opinion that if you don't have momentum, you build it. And if you already have momentum, you don't kill it.
giphy.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn’t like resting starters because it could disrupt rhythm. They will have no choice if they get a bye in the playoffs. Hopefully McVay will have a plan for that.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
with a 1st round bye seemingly on lock, hope he doesnt sit players this year. never been a fan of guys missing 2 weeks in a row

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they had won that playoff game vs the Falcons we wouldn't hear the talk about the whiners game, it would be the same footnote that we have in that Eagles loss to end the '99 season.

That said, winning that game would have meant we'd think they did the right thing in sitting the starters. So it's fair to say that losing that first round game had something to do with the way they lost some momentum.

Personally, I am of the opinion that Goff wasn't ready for the playoffs and the team had other weaknesses that were exposed in a tighter playoff environment. That this team is going to be better for it. Of course I also wanted them to rest their starters last year because the 9ers are scumbags and would have hurt someone we needed. So maybe I'm biased there, idk.

KayJay

Starter
I wasn't too angry about it. Like I get it you know, resting your starters so they don't get hurt. Just negatively impacted us I guess in terms of rhythm. However, if we get that first round bye heading into the playoffs, it actually benefits us. I say we play the season out, or at least a half of the last game towards the end of the season (depending on how far ahead we are of everyone else). Hindsight is 20/20. Not going to bash McVay for a move I agreed with last season. As for this season? Having that first round bye in the NFL is critical. Not only are you rested, but you basically have two weeks to prepare for either team. This team is the most complete team in the NFL in regards to talent. Time and preparation is all they need at this point.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
It's one of those decisions that gets second guessed either way, McVay can't really win with it. So I'm good with what he chooses; I trust coach.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I didn’t like resting starters because it could disrupt rhythm. They will have no choice if they get a bye in the playoffs. Hopefully McVay will have a plan for that.
Having a week off is not at all the same as resting starters in a meaningless game. A week off is an opportunity for focused training and game planning, at which the Rams excel. Resting starters in a nothing game disrupts all the patterns and execution on the field and causes nothing but frustration.