McVay has brought more than a winning culture to L.A.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
McVay certainly posseases many wonderful qualities that make him an elite HC.

But I think his strongest superpower is the knack for hiring outstanding assistant coaches that can teach and quickly develop talent.

Despite incredible poaching every year he continues to keep that pipeline full. I really think THAT is his greatest superpower.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
THAT fucking game!

Even in our one "down" year, we had that epic, now legendary, Baker Mayfield primetime game that nobody saw coming (especially the Raiders)!

That happened on December 8th. Best 50th birthday present I can remember! That was epic.

View attachment 64572

That game is the epitome of why I love sports. Never know when something awesome is going to happen.

It is almost never that I don't watch a Ram game live from start to finish... and this is further proof of how the football gods do punish you.

That game was setup to be an absolute disaster in prime time. Baker flying in like 2 days before the game and is going to fucking be the starting QB. Against the dirt bag raiduhs... and again - on a Prime Time night game that the whole nation would have their eyes on. Fucking Aye.

I watched the first half and then went straight to bed. I was sound asleep when my sons started calling me relentlessly. I answered finally, but I was convinced that they were lying to me when they asked if I was watching this and asking if I could believe what I was seeing. I told them that I wasn't going to fall for "the banana in the tailpipe". So rather than turning on the TV to see the last drive by our Rams... I hung up and tried to go back to sleep.

Several minutes later my phone is blowing up again. My boys are screaming.

I get out of bed and learn what I missed live even though I was given the chance to see it. I watched the post game stuff and was happy and disgusted at the same time.

I thought about it later and I'm convinced that if I had turned on the TV and watched that last drive... our Rams would have lost. So I'm taking a lot of the credit for that win myself. You don't have to believe that... but I'm convinced that it's true. LOL

I was proud that my sons didn't give up on that game like I did. They've learned the hard way through the years about why you never give up until the game is completely over. I'd preached that to them since they were babies really. They finally learned the hard way and were able to watch that miracle unfold before their eyes live. Meanwhile, my dumb ass was breaking a rule that I had always preached never to do. I got exactly what I deserved and believe me... the football gods are probably still laughing about me missing that live.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
McVay certainly posseases many wonderful qualities that make him an elite HC.

But I think his strongest superpower is the knack for hiring outstanding assistant coaches that can teach and quickly develop talent.

Despite incredible poaching every year he continues to keep that pipeline full. I really think THAT is his greatest superpower.
Ya I think in times past, teams would hire based on track record, to appease the fan base, rather than skill set. Which is how a track record actually gets built.
Great point.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fun fact:

Average position of Rams’ first draft selection:

Jeff Fisher (2012-2016): No. 7
Sean McVay (2017-2023): No. 63
Speaking of averages, in Fisher's 5 years at the helm the offense performed well below NFL average (301.8 yds/g & 18.5 PPG vs 349.4 yds/g avg & 22.9 PPG avg), while he defense was ever so slightly below NFL average (348.8 yds/g & 22.4 PPG).

In McVay's first 5 years at the helm the offense performed well above NFL average (381.3 yds/g & 27.6 PPG vs 347.4 yds/g & 23.1 PPG avg). while the defense performed more below NFL average than Fisher's (332.9 yds/g & 21.6 PPG vs 347.4 yds/g & 23.1 PPG avg).

To me that's sort of like, "my guys will beat your guys and I'll take your guys and beat my guys" with McVay vs Fisher.

muggmeister

Rookie
Mugg, to be fair, I hope this is a misunderstanding. Jon felt like he had his fandom called out, and none of us Rams fans like that. We struggled a lot as a fanbase, and I don't consider any of you to be fair-weather fans at all (I was born in 1991, for clarification, and started following football in 1999.), but I stuck it out through Martz, through Linehan and Zygcuunt, through Spags and Devaney, watching players like Fahkir Brown, Justin King, and Josh Gordy at cornerback, through the embarrassment of the Claudes (Wroten and Terrell) and Incognito, through tackle busts like Alex Barron, Jason Smith, and Greg Robinson, through Adam Carriker - another bust, fuck him - calling us a "loser franchise", through watching Steven Jackson try his damndest to carry this team on his back for eight seasons, through all that.

None of us are fair weather fans, @So Ram . We may have our differing opinions, but we all gather here to support this team through thick and thin.
Thanks for the reply, it just seems since we're all Rams fans should also mean we don't try to destroy each other opinions, even if some (including mine) seem completely off-base. Won't even try to pretend that I know who's who here but I apologize now and for any future posts that may upset someone.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the reply, it just seems since we're all Rams fans should also mean we don't try to destroy each other opinions, even if some (including mine) seem completely off-base. Won't even try to pretend that I know who's who here but I apologize now and for any future posts that may upset someone.
It's all good. We all have opinions and the diversity of those opinions is what makes a fan board interesting. Of course when opinions differ there's plenty of back and forth discussion. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, that's more interesting than everybody agreeing. When it escalates to arguing is when it becomes less interesting. And that usually happens when somebody thinks their opinion is incontrovertible. Like mine! :biggrin: