McVay has brought more than a winning culture to L.A.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We all know all this but I wanted to write it down. And what he has done is impressive.

He arrived in 2017 as the youngest head coach in the modern era and immediately made a franchise crawling in the gutter of the NFC West, a playoff team. A franchise that hadn't won 8 games since 2006 and hadn't made the postseason since 2004....with an 8-8 record. He starts by going 24-8 the first two years. Todd Gurley was a 3rd year RB when he arrived and McVay made him a star. Utilizing his unique skill set he was just short of unstoppable. In 2017 and 2018, 2556 rushing yards on 535 carries (4.8 ypc), 1368 receiving yards on 123 receptions (11.1), almost 4,000 yards from scrimmage (135.3 yds/g) and 40 TDs. He took Jared Goff and made him an up and coming star. A trajectory he's continued on because of McVay IMHO. Aaron Donald was already a dominant D lineman, DROY in 2014 and 28 sacks his first 3 years. With Goff, Gurley and the offense putting up big numbers, AD got to showcase his talents as a pass rushing demon. 57 1/2 sacks, 74 TFL, 129 solo tackles from 2017-2020, DPOY 3 of the 4 years and the next year, a Superbowl Champion who iced both the CCG and SB with pressure. (It also made McVay the youngest SB winning coach in history IIRC) Everybody who saw AD play, knew how good he was but once McVay arrived the national audience saw a lot more of him. Matt Stafford comes to town 0 for 3 in the postseason over his first 12 years in Detroit. He throws 51 TD passes, 9 more in 4 games of the postseason, ending with the Lombardi. Cooper Kupp wins the triple crown of receiving, with the second highest total receptions (145) in history to one guy and the second highest receiving yards (1947) to another guy. Puka Nacua comes into the league and set the rookie record for most receptions and most receiving yardage. He's also got Kyren Williams scoring TDs every game. And Kobie Turner leading all rookies in sacks. Does it happen without McVay? There's serious doubt there. The assistant coaches would be among the first McVay credits but let's face it, it's him. And he hired them. Along the way the team wins one of the most impressive all around games I've ever seen a visitor play in Seattle. A phenominal punch-counter punch game vs Minnesota. The highest scoring and possibly the most exciting and entertaining MNF game in history vs KC. An CCG OT win vs the Saints. The total dismantling of Kyler Murray and the Cardinals. The divisional game in Tampa with the love of the game finish. A very tough NFCCG vs SF. And an exciting SB, that required everything of Stafford and Kupp and wouldn't have happened without guys stepping up like the #4 WR, #3 TE and AARON DONALD. AND this year he takes a 5 win team, the pundits were convinced wouldn't win more than 6 and wins 10 making the postseason. These things aren't accidents. One or two, maybe. Not this many. This is magic. And we've had a front row seat. That kind of shit is what makes me a fan.

Feel free to add ^^^^^^

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We all know all this but I wanted to write it down. And what he has done is impressive.

He arrived in 2017 as the youngest head coach in the modern era and immediately made a franchise crawling in the gutter of the NFC West, a playoff team. A franchise that hadn't won 8 games since 2006 and hadn't made the postseason since 2004....with an 8-8 record. He starts by going 24-8 the first two years. Todd Gurley was a 3rd year RB when he arrived and McVay made him a star. Utilizing his unique skill set he was just short of unstoppable. In 2017 and 2018, 2556 rushing yards on 535 carries (4.8 ypc), 1368 receiving yards on 123 receptions (11.1), almost 4,000 yards from scrimmage (135.3 yds/g) and 40 TDs. He took Jared Goff and made him an up and coming star. A trajectory he's continued on because of McVay IMHO. Aaron Donald was already a dominant D lineman, DROY in 2014 and 28 sacks his first 3 years. With Goff, Gurley and the offense putting up big numbers, AD got to showcase his talents as a pass rushing demon. 57 1/2 sacks, 74 TFL, 129 solo tackles from 2017-2020, DPOY 3 of the 4 years and the next year, a Superbowl Champion who iced both the CCG and SB with pressure. (It also made McVay the youngest SB winning coach in history IIRC) Everybody who saw AD play, knew how good he was but once McVay arrived the national audience saw a lot more of him. Matt Stafford comes to town 0 for 3 in the postseason over his first 12 years in Detroit. He throws 51 TD passes, 9 more in 4 games of the postseason, ending with the Lombardi. Cooper Kupp wins the triple crown of receiving, with the second highest total receptions (145) in history to one guy and the second highest receiving yards (1947) to another guy. Puka Nacua comes into the league and set the rookie record for most receptions and most receiving yardage. He's also got Kyren Williams scoring TDs every game. And Kobie Turner leading all rookies in sacks. Does it happen without McVay? There's serious doubt there. The assistant coaches would be among the first McVay credits but let's face it, it's him. And he hired them. Along the way the team wins one of the most impressive all around games I've ever seen a visitor play in Seattle. A phenominal punch-counter punch game vs Minnesota. The highest scoring and possibly the most exciting and entertaining MNF game in history vs KC. An CCG OT win vs the Saints. The total dismantling of Kyler Murray and the Cardinals. The divisional game in Tampa with the love of the game finish. A very tough NFCCG vs SF. And an exciting SB, that required everything of Stafford and Kupp and wouldn't have happened without guys stepping up like the #4 WR, #3 TE and AARON DONALD. AND this year he takes a 5 win team, the pundits were convinced wouldn't win more than 6 and wins 10 making the postseason. These things aren't accidents. One or two, maybe. Not this many. This is magic. And we've had a front row seat. That kind of shit is what makes me a fan.

Feel free to add ^^^^^^

I would like to Add a few Line Breaks

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

Feel free to add ^^^^^^

Pa, great to see your post! ya this team has come so far since the RRF days. I still remember MFranke's last post on there. What he would say about these Rams now, if he were still an NFL fan, I can only imagine. Or CoachO, watching this team in camp.
But ya what an incredible turn around that McVay has architected. Snead of course deserves some credit, but without a sea-change in the team culture, this team is still a basement dweller -- Snead has been our GM for a long time, and under Fisher, still couldn't make a real difference until McVay arrived. The Rams were sooo lucky to find this "kid", who I might add has already established his own coaching tree. And that 5 win team, with a gutted OL & no Kupp or Stafford or AD? STILL won 5 games?? Fisher woulda maybe won 1. And would Stafford have even come here without hitting it off with McVay?? Without Staff, we'd still be stuck on 1999.
Great post Pa. Enjoy the ride. Pray McVay doesn't get burn-out too soon & leaves for a "golden parachute" TV deal -- it's waiting for him anytime he wants it, smh.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like Snead deserves some credit as well after reading that. You can't make orange juice out of potatoes.
Sure he does. And that's a good point. He was here for 5 years and nada, nothing, same old 7-9 bullshit. Along comes McVay and Snead is Les Polian. McVay even made the front office better!!

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO the greatest thing McVay has brought to LA is HOPE!!

He and Snead have brought hope to his fanbase. We now feel confident that this team is in great hands and is ultimately headed in the right direction. Sure all franchises have their ups and downs, but has been shown in 2023 they won't stay down for very long. Wait till next year is simply a platitude for most fanbases look no further than SF and Cincinnati. But here in LA it's for real.

We could not have asked for a better season than last year. It reinvigorated the fans. LA is blessed with great leadership from an owner like Stan Kroenke who knows what it takes to be a winner, to Snead who knows how to mine the draft and FAs to get the talent, and McVay in how to use that talent. Sean also has done an incredible job year after year in replenishing his coaching ranks that are raided each year.

The Rams are in the hands of winners! What more can we ask? Every year brings new surprises, and I can't wait to see what comes out of this offseason and draft.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Sure he does. And that's a good point. He was here for 5 years and nada, nothing, same old 7-9 bullshit. Along comes McVay and Snead is Les Polian. McVay even made the front office better!!
So Pead and Quick were Fisher guys?

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

PARAM

Hall of Fame
IMO the greatest thing McVay has brought to LA is HOPE!!

Every year brings new surprises, and I can't wait to see what comes out of this offseason and draft.
With hope comes expectations. A bigger challenge than turning around a franchise is maintaining that excellence. He's shown what he's capable of, so now he's got to deliver year after year. A fun ride that only continues.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So Pead and Quick were Fisher guys?

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland
No. Pead and Quick were Fisher-Snead guys if what we were told was true (it's a collective effort). My guess is Fisher had the final word. We're told the current system is a collaborative effort. And we see videos of the draft room where it appears that way. So Atwell, Akers, Jefferson, etc were Snead-McVay guys. But we have to wonder where all of Snead's lower round gems were when Fisher was here. Don't we?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I would like to Add a few Line Breaks
I concur fully with this assessment. The words were leaping off the page into my brain. And it was good stuff.

Unfortunately, a little too good and I got dizzy.

Paragraphs are like drinking a glass of water in between each shot of tequila. You can party longer with those breaks!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pa, great to see your post! ya this team has come so far since the RRF days. I still remember MFranke's last post on there. What he would say about these Rams now, if he were still an NFL fan, I can only imagine. Or CoachO, watching this team in camp.
But ya what an incredible turn around that McVay has architected. Snead of course deserves some credit, but without a sea-change in the team culture, this team is still a basement dweller -- Snead has been our GM for a long time, and under Fisher, still couldn't make a real difference until McVay arrived. The Rams were sooo lucky to find this "kid", who I might add has already established his own coaching tree. And that 5 win team, with a gutted OL & no Kupp or Stafford or AD? STILL won 5 games?? Fisher woulda maybe won 1. And would Stafford have even come here without hitting it off with McVay?? Without Staff, we'd still be stuck on 1999.
Great post Pa. Enjoy the ride. Pray McVay doesn't get burn-out too soon & leaves for a "golden parachute" TV deal -- it's waiting for him anytime he wants it, smh.

I’ll disagree with you in a lot of ways.An example we’ll be able to see is how Raheem Morris will do in Atlanta.

To think Les Sneads growth isn’t there & that he is creating an amazing culture in his style of evaluating players I’d say would be a mistake.The 2020 draft is why The Rams had down seasons.The draft is where it all starts after Free Agency.Yes Sean Mcvay is already working hard & creating game plans for next season.His trust in Mike Lafleur is bigger than it’s ever been with a OC.

Kevin Demoff has his hands in this thing BIG TIME & that’s not going to change anytime soon,so even though Sean Mcvay will be The WINNINGEST Rams Coach of Alltime.
Enjoying Sean Mcvay he is only getting better as well.He’s maturity is big.When you look back at different things there’s been a lot of mistakes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When JohnRam99 says The Rams are bottom half franchise is CRAP !! Obviously he IMO with his handle he is a Fair weather winner type fan who joined Greatest Show on Turf 1999 ? If not AD99 & Stafford don’t come cheaply & The Rams Salary Cap really hurts dearth without drafting well.

When looking at 2022 & 2023 season. Even 2021 seasons you can see how fast a season can turn. In 2021 Eric Weedle really brought The Rams veterans together & brought out The Best of Jalen Ramsey who went from punching Taylor Rapp to following Weedles leadership.

In 2022 you look at Pittsburgh game last season & Tampa Bay in 2022. Sean Mcvay almost ruined The Rams season in 2023 & basically ruined 2022 season?

It’s all about Matthew Stafford in all 3 seasons. Kupp as well if you look at The Triple Crown.

In 2022 Bobby Evans got Kupp & Stafford hurt.New Orleans game was the Topper.Zac Robinson was unbelievable getting Mayfied & Wentz ready to play in the offense.

The Dallas game play call of Stafford catching a 2 pt conversion before half ? If the Bye week didn’t come when it did The Rams wouldn’t have been a .500 team. Why was Thomas playing LT ? Saffold is a solid LT & not the best RG.
—Why Sean Mcvay was sitting Dotson on the inactive list on week 8 just shows he doesn’t evaluate talent all that great in game either.Les Snead deserves credit for finding this guy before week 1 start of the season. The Tams had Rypen as the backup QB of all things as well without another backup QB.Good luck winning with him ? Why Sean Mcvay put The Rams in that situation was inexcusable!!!

Another lesson learned & I expect Carson Wentz back with The Rams in 2024 ? If not when do The Rams draft another QB ?
Mcvay wanted Stinson & Les Snead made him wait & took that risk. Just think is The Rams traded that Puka 5th rd pick or took him instead of Kobie Turner ? - thank you Les Snead.

Plus when Kevin Demoff said he was more excited about The Rams 2023 team more than the 2022 season he meant it & knows The Rams better than anybody.

tempests

Hall of Fame
But we have to wonder where all of Snead's lower round gems were when Fisher was here. Don't we?
First thing I noticed about Snead in 2012 was our day 3 picks and UDFAs had improved significantly. We were stockpiling talent that would allow us to break through. Other factors like the logistics of relocating, our starting QB on IR two years in a row, and not being able to put together a cohesive offense held us back.

McVay was the catalyst for many good things, but it was the right place and time for him too.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The fact that Les Snead has found such good UDRFA really sets him apart,but more importantly is how Sean Mcvay has developed them.

The last UDRFA is Alaric Jackson. Dude is going to get PAID !! Then we can also talk about Hoecht ?? Another player who should get paid,but a starting LT vs OLB ? Those a 2 high salary position that The Rams got away with basically Base Salaries for 3 seasons.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
There was some real 2-14 bullshit before Snead and Fisher got here. People forget how truly bad we were.